Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • WHAT BIKE FOR A DOWNHILL BEGINNER ??
  • bridget4
    Free Member

hi – i'm looking at getting into some mild downhill riding and know nothing about it at all as regards what bike to use as i've always ridden xc for years – so i need some advice on a reasonably priced used bike to get me into it – i'll be riding places like cannock stile cop which i've tried several times on my xc rig and found it too flimsy really

any advice would be welcome thanks

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Are you thinking of racing or just more DH oriented riding? It might be worth going for something like a Specialized SX Trail rather than a full-on DH race machine. DH race bikes are VERY slack and need a fair bit of gradient and speed to work properly, something like an SX Trail is perhaps a better stepping stone for a gravity assisted beginner and there's a lot of them about.

Kramer
    Free Member

I reckon an SX trail would be just the right thing for Cannock.

bridget4
    Free Member

thanks guys

JohnClimber
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

I have a small Big Hit for sale in the classifieds if you want a proper DH bike.

carlphillips
    Free Member

if you want to dabble then i got a 2nd hand stinky for £300 and it does the job well, cheap is good for me!!

Radioman

I've got an SX trail great all round Bike, but if u really want to focus on downhill, a big bike is more fun and much easier. This year at Ft William I took my Cove STD with Totems on it (big freeride bike), rather than the SX trail and the difference was staggering..way more fun. The SX Trail is superb for relatively smooth stuff and fantastic on boards/shore but the bigger bikes are better on gnarly rock gardens and when it gets steep.

SX Trail climbs o.k and is great going down too. I enjoy using mine on the Scottish Highland trails & 7 Staines

For DH..Maybee a Spec Big hit(they are great value big bike) or a Giant Reign…both VERY heavy and you will need to push uphill unless you are superman! I would agree that if you can only have 1 bike & like mixing DH with trail riding, the SX trail is probably best.

rhid

Some one was selling a Santa Cruz Bullit frame recently. That can be built into a very capable DH / hard riding trail bike, perfect for a lot of UK courses and great if you want to go out to the alps!

matt_outandabout

A second hand one, and a weekends coaching.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Possibly mine rhid?

Virtually new (2 weeks use only) – cracking little frame. Part of me desperately wants to hang onto it but I need the cash 😐

goog
    Free Member

try and hook up with someone at cannock and get a ride on there bike to see if you like it and get an idea of whats best for you

I have a medium 8flat8 you could try and my biker babe girlfriend has small orange 222 which you can try too

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

If you can afford one I strongly suggest getting something that's considered a DH race bike NOT a freeride bike as the two are very different in my humble opinion.

Big Hits, stinkys, sx trails are freeride bikes and feel very different from a race bike. A dh race bike will encourage you to push so very much faster over what seems like impossible terrain.

2nd hand glorys are very good value for money, stabs can be gotten cheaply too but weigh a ton and perform unspectacularly. Most dh bikes will hold a bit of value too, so you can probably sell them on without a massive loss if ou find it's not for you.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

MisterGnar, I agree, if the OP is looking to get into DH racing then a DH race bike is the way to go. On the other hand if she wants to try some DH-biased trail riding, gravity assisted singletrack, call it what you will then maybe a freeride/heavy duty trail bike would be a better option?

Radioman

oops made mistake I mean Giant Glory NOT Reign!!

mAx_hEadSet

ask at forum at descent-world.co.uk maybe …

Kuco
    juiced
    Free Member

second hand on southern downhill?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘WHAT BIKE FOR A DOWNHILL BEGINNER ??’ is closed to new replies.