Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • what "big" 125 bike?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Other than the Honda Varadero?

Looks like I’ll need to sort out some other transport for when the wife goes back to work. Cyclings not really an option and I’m feeling like scratching the motorbike itch.

Had a look round and the Varadero seems to be the biggest 125 out there. I’m a big guys and a CG125 or the like gives me visions of dumb and dumber

amplebrew

The CBF125 is pretty good value and not too small.

Maybe look at 125 enduro bikes like the Yam WR125, Kwak KLX etc as they’re obviously taller.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Just sold my Suzuki DR125SM – good for the taller rider but not a fast bike. Around town though it was excellent. If you’ve no long stretches of A/B road I’d say it was a good bet.
    Rich.

amplebrew

@ Boba Fatt

Are you looking at 125’s because that’s all you can ride with your licence?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Anything wrong with the Varadero?

Otherwise look at any if the Japanese trail bikes

Northwind

Varadero used to be an astonishingly expensive bike to drop, it was like it was designed to mash as many components as possible. But other than that they’re cool. I had a shitey Virago 😳

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had the 1000cc bigger brother and baby Varadero got some good feedback. I know what you mean about expanse of plastic and inexperienced riders don’t mix well.

pondo

Gotta look at trailie types if you need a high seat and/or bars.

dogbert
    Free Member

I’m a solid six foot and “robust” puts it best. I also looked at the Suzuki DR. I don’t expect a Ducati performance wise and has of the journey is long boring straight A road stuff, the other half is town.

Part of me thinks I should just get a banger of a car and keep the bike side of me for leisure rather than commuting and do the full test rather than pootling round in the pouring rain and hating it.

rwamartin
    Free Member

The DR is probably a 50mph bike. Yes, you’ll get more out of it in some situations but I wouldn’t expect you to maintain much more than that as a cruising speed.

My (admittedly limited) experience is that Learner legal 125s are just not A road bikes. You’re having to ride them “balls to the wall” to make them keep up with the traffic.

I had the DR for about 3 months and put 1300 miles on it before doing my A licence. I had thought I’d use it to get around the county but in the end it was mainly used to practice what are arguably the more important bits of the A licence – slow speed handling and the procedures (positioning, lifesavers etc.)

You’ll pretty much recover your outlay on a 125 and it will probably work out cheaper than extra lessons/retests if you fail first time.

Get the A licence done then find something that’s good for the commute.

Rich.

pondo

Every now and then I pass someone on a YBR 125 northbound on the M40 *shudders*.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Cagiva Tamanaco !!! Weapon!! Accelerates like you would not believe, and it’s big!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Have to say Varadero all the way, had mine for a few years , even doing some touring on it,Bike was awesome in all ways including 90+ a gallon on my commute …. and its a very big bike for a 125 cc

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Varadero all the way. Missus has a CBF 125 it’s a good bike but I find it small when I occasionally use it and I’m only 5ft 10.

Hyosung GT125 is a big bike. Build quality isn’t amazing but if you look after it then it will be fine.

Honda CBR 125 the 2012 model onwards.

konabunny
    Free Member

I always quite liked the look of the Van Van and TW125s, and they’re not comically small, but everyone else on the planet disagree with my taste.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Baby Vara is a big 125, good presence on the road and more than happy at 60+ mph on my commute every day even through the winter ! … Bike did show signs of corrosion at the end of the winter,mostly over the front of the engine and gearbox covers from the salt though 🙁
    sadly now sold as we bought a new car, but id get another tomorrow if i could afford it.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Loved mine. Wouldn’t think twice if I needed a 125 again.

Edit: I’m 6’3 and looked significantly less ridiculous on my dt than on most other 125’s.

weeksy

Yam xt125 supermoto

sobriety
    Free Member

Honda XL125, thy’re big, slow and easy/cheap to replace bits on when you drop them. Did I mention they’re slow.

I’ve gone to an Aprilia RS125, now, as I like rebuilding engines!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘what "big" 125 bike?’ is closed to new replies.