Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • What 29ers are "Trail" 29ers ?
  • pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m riding the Singular Buzzard prototype at the moment & so far really impressed. Nice & short, lots of fun, stable, stiff but not harsh. Just a few prototype sort of issues to remedy & I’ll be really tempted by one. It’s definitely got a different character to something like the Swift (which I also really like).

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Just because something has XC geo doesn’t mean it can’t be a good trail bike. Riding this ATM and will be for the foreseeable future, its taken me a couple of years to find a bike that is “just right”. Rode GT black(and a few off piste sections) on it in the snow a couple of weekends ago,it was outstanding! Confident, excellent steering, climbs well, in other words the f**kin business!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hillsplease

Not a hardtail but my Giant Anthem 29er has been rather nice to ride all over the place. Another 2 inches of travel would have been idea on Jacob’s Ladder descent, but that’s been the case everytime I’ve ridden it regardless of type.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I have an XC 29er hardtail as well as my Yelli Screamy and the difference between the two is as great as the difference between 26 and 29 inch wheels. Saying that the XC frame is still the best ‘trail bike’.

simonm
    Free Member

Ive gone with a Nimble 9.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Congrats

Chainline
    Free Member

One example, referring to someones earlier comments, of where the sum of a bikes dimensions may not equate to the obvious defining features is the Nicolai AC29. Twentynineinches did a longish test on one and loved it, rating it one of the best of 2011, this with a 72deg. head angle. It does however have long stays at 463mm, many are coming in at 447ish with offset seat tubes to allow for the short stays and avoid tyres striking seat tubes with 70.5-72 angles, others more like 553 with 69ish deg Head angles, more descent oriented.

I would offer that a 120mm 29er, especially with big tyres, will ‘feel’ more like a 140-150mm 26″ bike and the latest crop of 140 forked bikes will be more like having a 150-160 forked 26″ bike up front.

I also think there is quite a difference between manualling and popping the front to get over trail obstacles or lifting it on climbs. I tend to do the latter, mostly cos I’m crap at the former 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘What 29ers are "Trail" 29ers ?’ is closed to new replies.