• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • West side of Sheffield advice.
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening all,

Can Sheffield folk help out at all?

Been thinking about moving out of Nottingham for a while and would like to be close to a city but with the peak district very close. Really need a change of scenery and myself and the Mrs both have elderly parents in Derby and Nottingham so don’t want to stray too far

What nice areas are there inbetween Sheffield and the peak district that I should be looking at?

House prices need to be under 500k for a decent sized detached. Leafy green if possible.

Works not an issue as the wife only works 3 days so can commute and I’m in short supply in my field so can move very easily to a similar job.

Any ideas where to look at? Thanks in advance

nobtwidler
    Free Member

If you can afford it Fullwood or Dore – bit fancy and close to peaks.

nosedive
    Free Member

Crosspool. Get a nice 3 bed detached for 350k. Trails from the door..more south than west though but still only 25 mins from the m1

Pook

Evening. I’m currently sitting at my kitchen table looking at both Lady Cannings and Houndkirk Moor. I’m in Fulwood but technically closer to Lodge Moor.

chilled76
    Free Member

Anyone know much about Totley?

Thanks for suggestions so far folks

shuhockey
    Free Member

Greenhill ( I live) /Bradway slightly cheaper than Totley and a lot cheaper than Dore. Closer to the main road to the M1. Nice community, bakery, cafe etc.

Digby

more south than west

I think Crosspool is pretty much the definition of ‘West Sheffield’ – being almost directly West of the City Centre.

A word of warning though – chunks of West Sheffield are seemingly suffering from a crime wave in terms of Burglary and Vehicle crime. (have a look at ‘Sheffield West NHP’ Facebook page for more info).

Also, Sheffield is also experiencing a relatively recent sharp rise in Violent Crime – in particular knife crime. I know Nottingham has a history of violent crime, but this is a fairly recent phenomenon in Sheffield which has historically often been lower than other major UK cities.

If you are looking at ‘nice’ areas between West Sheffield and the Peak District then the obvious choices are Fulwood, Ranmoor, Greystones and Endcliffe. Right on the Westerly Edge of Sheffield and closest to the border with Derbyshire is Lodge Moor. After that there is little housing apart from the odd farm etc until you get to Grindleford/Hathersage.

tlr

There aren’t really any ‘bad’ areas where you describe.

Get on Rightmove, draw a search area between Abbeydale Road and Manchester Road, put in your search parameters and take your pick. £500k probably isn’t enough to get what you want in some areas, but you should still have plenty of choice.

Sheffield is hilly though, and the closer to the centre of town the longer the uphill to get into the Peak!

Totley covers quite a broad spectrum, parts of it are basically in Dore and so quite expensive, other bits are nearer Broadway so quite a bit cheaper.

Good luck, and I’m sure you won’t regret the move – I can’t imagine living anywhere else (in the UK anyway).

simonbowns
    Free Member

It’s all pretty decent to be fair and £500k will get you plenty of choice.  I’ve just moved to Bradway having been in Dore, Fulwood, Ecclesall before.  Dore definitely has a bit of snootiness and a price premium that I’m not entirely convinced is justified.

for a bit more rural, consider the bits around Holmesfield/Millthorpe and the bits that lead off Rivelin Valley road too.

teenrat

How about Worral in north west Sheffield.  That’s where we live. 20 minutes bus ride to the city centre, 2 miles out to Bradfield and the peak district, 15 minutes by car to Ladybower Inn and best of all,  less than 5 minutes ( by bike) to Wharncliffe. Is also in S35 so doesn’t suffer from the high prices associated with S6, S10 and the Totley, Dore area.

GHill

As an alternative to the good advice above, have a look at Loxley. A bit more rural-lite, good road and MTB stuff from the house, some lovely views too.

I think the catchment secondary school is a bit (maybe even a lot) naff though, if that’s a factor (but means cheaper prices if it’s not).

chilled76
    Free Member

Thanks so much for all the helpful suggestions so far folks.

I’ll look at all the options mentioned.

Are there any areas that side of the city I should definitely avoid?

tlr

Not really. There are a few streets at the city centre end of your search area that you might want to avoid, but they aren’t going to have leafy £500k houses on them anyway.

I personally would avoid the areas around Ecclesall Rd and Botanical gardens, purely because the traffic can get quite bad at certain times, but they are lovely areas and I happily lived there years ago.

AndrewL

Lots of nice areas mentioned above.

Millhouses is nice with excellent schools, may struggle to get a large detached for 500k. Handy for getting out to the Peak via Ecclesall woods then Dore/Whirlow.

Beauchief & the SW end of Woodseats may be worth a look as well, friendly with a  good shopping centre with butcher / fishmongers, good cafes, curry etc. A mix of housing and lots of strips of woodland that let you ride largely off road to the Peak. Also handy for getting up to the A61 for commuting to Nottingham

Pook

while you lot are all looking at this,  are you Peak District MTB and Ride Sheffield members? Follow Keeper of the Peak?

HELP US!!!

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cut-gate-help-us-to-protect-this-awesome-path/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘West side of Sheffield advice.’ is closed to new replies.