Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • West Highland Way – Cross or Mountain Bike?
  • kennyp
    Free Member

Haven’t been on the WHW for a few years, and last time it was definitely a mountain bike track. However have heard it’s been greatly improved so was wondering if it would be rideable on a cross bike?

And yes, I know about the bit at Loch Lomond being hike-a-bike.

Cheers.

ton

did a big section from bridge of orchy to fort William.
    mountain bike was and would be my choice.

allfankledup

MTB+1

kennyp
    Free Member

Cheers. MTB is is then. Suspect I’ll be happy with some suspension after a couple of long days in the saddle.

scotroutes

It would be a shame to be stuck on a Cross bike while descending into Kinlochleven.

Fat-boy-fat

2 years since I did it but, defo MTB apart from fairly short sections.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Short travel full sus

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I did it on a 100mm 29er. Perfect bar the bits at glencoe where 160mm enduro weapon would have been better.

kennyp
    Free Member

It would be a shame to be stuck on a Cross bike while descending into Kinlochleven.

Yeah, have to admit I was thinking that. After lugging a bike up the Devil’s Staircase I’d be wanting the reward of a fun descent.

Short travel full sus

Which is exactly what my mountain bike is! (-:

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only the really shite bits would be acceptable on a cx bike.

dahedd
    Free Member

How’s about on a fat bike ?

AlasdairMc

I’ve ridden it a few times, latterly on a rigid MTB. That’s as far as I’d go tbh, a CX Bike would just be masochism

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

On this came across a guy on a cross bike on the twa turns red at comrie today. Poor bloke had gone too far and was committed and really was not having fun. It seems people think they are far more capable than they are.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

MTB I reckon. Have a wee look at my we$t highland way thread if you want a close analysis of the track in about 400 different places 🙂
    No idea how to link to it on a phone but it’s in my profile history.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘West Highland Way – Cross or Mountain Bike?’ is closed to new replies.