Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Well I'm Going To Be A Daddy!!!
  • Wansley
    Free Member

Found out on Tuesday that im going to be a daddy! 😀

Partner has since been on the phone to the midwife who said partner is 4 weeks+ gone and the baby's rough due date is January 22nd!! Eeek! 😀

Both our families are really happy for us etc so thats all good. And weve been together over 2 years and have our own place so that all cool.

Im really confussed i feel like i need to be doing something but weve been told to just wait for the midwife to ring back next week making the appointments for blood tests etc.

I think the shock is wearing off a little and im starting to feel really excited now!

How did you guys feel when you found out you where going to have a baby and are these 9 months the longest wait ever?

Oh any any advice on what we need to be doing while we wait for the little one to arrive?

Anyway im going to now sit and day dream at my desk of how life next year is going to completely change! 😛

carbon337
    Free Member

Me too! We are 8 weeks, waiting for our first midwife appointment and 12weeks scan before telling family etc. It takes ages though we've known since 4 weeks but it's just a matter of waiting. I've occupied myself doing a full research project on 3 wheel prams. due on Jan 5th.

TooTall
    Free Member

Test drive prams. 4 wheelers are more stable. Buy what is best for you but remember the golden rule – the best one is the one she likes!
    Buy muslin cloths. Then buy some more.
    Tommy Tippee bibs with the sponge collars are expensive but worth it.
    E Bay is your friend – I got a (new) cot, sterilizer, bottles etc on there.
    Charity shops for baby clothes – nothing worse than thinking 'I paid £18 for that and it was worn twice'.
    Sleep now – you will need it.
    Swaddling works.
    It really is life changing. Welcome to the anticipation.

Timmo
    Free Member

Congrats guys!
    i have a lil girl (who'll be 4 in august) and also another on the way – also due late August, – wife must have been 'in season' late november!
    but i can honestly say It is without Doubt The Best thing i have ever done! yes there are tears But without doubt the smiles make up for it!

prams wise, you'll start to subconciously notice what pram's are popular when out and about, its worth trying them in the boot of your car too! they can be big when folded down, decide if your goign to be using disposable or terry nappies etc, after the 12 weeks scan i started stock piling nappies, wipes nappy bags etc. as you dopnt notice a fiver extra oin the weekly shop at this stage,
    and best of all, enjoy it!
    there's a Great book called 'The Blokes Guide to pregnancy' by Mike Smith, written by blokes for blokes! – the womens books on it are often a little Graphic!!!

oh, and have a nose at trailers etc for the bike! 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Congratulations.

Another thing that will come in very useful is a padded headboard – perfect for propping yourself up on those late night feeds.

Our non-identical twin girls are 1 year old in a couple of weeks (although it only feels like weeks since they were born) it is life changing but it is utterly wonderful and beautiful. Just this morning I came downstairs to Izzi sitting on mummy's lap after her morning bottle and gave me the biggest smile of recognition.

johni
    Free Member

Our no2 is due about then too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Our no2

huhhuh!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just this morning I came downstairs to Izzi sitting on mummy's lap after her morning bottle and gave me the biggest smile of recognition. she farted.

🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

😆

That as well – with teething the nappies are spectacular at the moment.

iain1775
    Free Member

what to do in the 8 months to the date?
    Relax
    Enjoy the time and make the most of it being just the two of you

There is very little you actually need the instant the baby is born people just like to have the whole nursery thing sorted, but it will get little use for the first 6 months anyway, baby will be sleeping with you
    Yes of course do some shopping and preperation but dont forget yourselves in all the fuss

Your life is about to change permanently. My advise speaking as a new dad of an absolutely amazing little girl of 6 weeks would be make the most of the time you have now

ex-pat
    Free Member

Im really confussed i feel like i need to be doing something

Go riding now – it'll end soon enough.
    Get everything you own that's expensive in the house and break it, at least you'll have the pleasure rather than nipper.
    Draw on the walls with marker pen or crayon (your choice) don't worry about being precise.
    If you're thinking you'll weather the storm, take a shiat on your carpet, tread it in.
    Break a rib, or at least practice dropping 15kg+ weights onto your chest/head/legs/feet
    Get some marmite, spread it liberaly around your genitals – then try and wipe it off with a wet-wipe (you'll become a master at doing it to your bub).
    Have a massive curry/beer fest (why not it'll be your last) then when the inevitable fall-out occurs, stick your head in the pan and breath deep, you'll get used to that smell too.
    Set your alarm to wake you up every hour, day & night. In fact go 2+ days without sleep to see what happens.
    Learn to sleep at your desk, learn to sleep with your eyes open.

That should have you in the zone.

[/dad]

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Congratulations, my Daughter is 10 weeks on Saturday and she's a beautiful bundle of joy.

Ignore any negative comments about lack of riding, if you are a strong couple who respect each other you should be able to ride as much as you wish.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Start mass-cooking easy to reheat foods and freeze them all. 🙂

Wansley
    Free Member

Thanks Guys, Im getting really excited now! 😀

I think to make sure were going to wait for the first scan to make sure everything is ok then we shall start to buy everything. (Note made of everything mentioned so far!)

Just seems that theres loads to do but were not doing anything just yet as we have to wait for appointments etc…. Strange feeling.

carbon337
    Free Member

So you enjoyed the experience then Ex_pat?

We have discussed riding – she says she totally accepts that what I do and that there is no need for it to stop.

We have arranged that I can do Sunday morning rides etc and the odd evening in local woods. In terms of hill walking that we do together I don't anticipate a change there as little un will just come with us (maybe more planning of equipment needed) we have a springer spaniel too so the dog still needs his exercise.

By the time the summer comes it will be 5 months and a little less fragile.

I agree wansley – its like we are in limbo – waiting on time to pass so we can get on decorating rooms and buying bits and bobs.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Sounds like you've got it sorted carbon337, I'm amazed at some of the responses on threads like these, having a baby brings a different perspective to your lifestyle but it shouldn't be the end of it.

As for night feeds, my wife does those and lets me sleep as I'm at work all day, sounds very misogynistic but it's her decision and it makes sense.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Congrats mate, week 16 into our first here, exciting times!

Just chill and shower her with attention, and if you don't already, pull your finger out at home 😉

KT: makes sense, we're sorting the spare room now so I can retreat if need be when it comes, no good the dad being a useless wreck at work and losing his job!

iain1775
    Free Member

Ive been out on the bike more in the last 6 weeks since our daughter was born than in the entire 6 months leading up to the birth so it definately doesnt mean an end to life as you know it
    Monday we are both off to a comedy night whilst the in-laws have their first babysitting session

I have however fallen off the bike more often in the last 6 weeks than in the entire last 6 years of riding!
    Im not sure yet if there is a connection, maybe its tiredness

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Back to the midwife/limbo thing – just relax and roll with it – they have done this hundreds of times and things will happen when they are meant to, you will get the calls, the letters, the appointments etc.

mogrim

Congratulations!

Go riding now – it'll end soon enough.

No it won't, unless either you decide to, or your wife/partner is completely unreasonable.

Don't buy anything yet, I don't want to be negative but miscarriages aren't that rare (my wife had one, for example). 4-5 months in is probably a good time to start looking at stuff.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don't buy anything yet, I don't want to be negative but miscarriages aren't that rare (my wife had one, for example). 4-5 months in is probably a good time to start looking at stuff.

Yeah, 'generally' people don't get to confident about things until the second trimester (12 weeks>)

mrsflash
    Free Member

I'm 26 weeks, and we have only just started buying stuff.

I agree with the in limbo thing we had our first mw appointment at 6 weeks (I think) and then there’s a whole lot of nothing waiting for the scan so you can start telling people. Once you get past a certain number of weeks though, the time just seems to fly by, I’m not quite sure how I got to 26 weeks!

Have a look out on freecycle for stuff, I’ve just bagged a full set of washable nappies to take us right through form birth to potty training on our freecycle – that’s a serious amount of money saved! Bought cot on ebay as well, so that was a lot saved – the baby doesn’t care if anything’s brand new!

We're now at the stage where he can feel the baby moving about as well as me, which is fab, and off for a 4d scan in a couple of weeks which I'm really excited about.

Netdonkey

Night riding… It's the way forward. Soon enough they start sleeping through. Come home see them off to bed (Partner too probably) and then off for a ride. We have two and for me it is the perfect balance. Then comes the training rides when they are a bit older. Climbing hills with a 1 year old hanging over your back wheel will do wonders for the legs and gets them out of the house 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Once you get past a certain number of weeks though, the time just seems to fly by

Wait till s/he is born!!!! 😯

zaskar
    Free Member

Congrats and wear a peg on the dose…

kimbers

we are 4months in here

very excited and a bit scared

best of all will be able to contribute to the stw debates about the proper way to raise kids/ lynch paedos

mogrim

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Once you get past a certain number of weeks though, the time just seems to fly by

Wait till s/he is born!!!!

Yeah, my eldest was 10 this year, double figures 😯

mogrim

best of all will be able to contribute to the stw debates about the proper way to raise kids/ lynch paedos

I didn't realise 1st hand knowledge was a necessary condition for joining in STW debates, it's never stopped me 🙂

akira

Everyone will give you different advice, some will work for you and some won't, somethings you will make up as you go along.
    Take lots of photos and videos when they are little as it will fly by.
    Oh and Mastiles, bit late for a padded headboard surely. 😉

farmer-giles
    Free Member

my baby boy was born 3 weeks ago and i have picked up good advice already from here, too!
    i just didn't get excited before the birth; and i wasn't bothered about the scans – as long as mother and child were healthy.
    i did do an NCT Couse that focused mainly on the birth – that went out the window went mrs fg had pre-eclampsia and had to be induced!
    the morning after my son was born i cried for 20 mins with a combination of fear and joy; and the day we bought our son home also ended in a lot of tears from my wife and our parents came and "rescued" us.
    i haven't ridden my bike for a month as i do every job bar breastfeeding as mrs fg has not had more than 3hrs continuos sleep since the birth.
    baby poo does not smell bad despite what the girls up there /\ say!

farmer-giles
    Free Member

as my boy was 9lb 1oz at birth be careful stock pilling nappies. if you get a brick-outhouse baby then you could have a lot of spare little nappies!
    don't shop at mamas and papas in southampton! they gave me a £70 "parking ticket" when we went to use a public toilet 10 minutes before the store opened on a sunday morning. they will see me at a county court judgement before they see any money and mothercare has had over £1k worth of busniss as a result! muppets

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Oh and Mastiles, bit late for a padded headboard surely.

LOL – well it is the one and only use for a padded headboard nowadays…

Just got back from the hospital where our girls have had hearing tests due to both having several ear infections. I thought Evie was looking hot and, sure enough, she has a temperature and proceeded to puke all over me so am am now back at work smelling of baby sick. Again. 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And I agree that baby poo doesn't smell bad (I don't mind it at all generally). But sick. YACK! The smell makes me wanna gip myself.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Good luck chap!

We went for our 21 week scan today and its all looking tickity boo!

The key is not to get sucked in the the marketing men (boys!) who will desperately try to convince you that you need to spend thousands on tat you don't need to have a child.

Exciting times, all the best to the 3 of you! 🙂

warton
    Free Member

well done mate!

My little boy William was born 6 days ago, and as I write I am surrounded by 6 days worth of mess from an un-tidied house, am nodding off and haven't even looked at my bikes…

Its amazing!

ex-pat
    Free Member

@ carbon337
    I wouldn't have it any other way. Love my kids, love my life.
    And yeah, I bike less. But that's because I spend more time with my family, that's a choice and one that I am happy to have made.
    I have had few moments (haven't we all) where I'd trade a kidney for one less nappy change. 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Well I'm Going To Be A Daddy!!!’ is closed to new replies.