Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Weird toilet plumbing issue
  • mudmuncher

Hi all,

The last few weeks my bog has been taking 5x longer to refill which is annoying but strangely if I turn the cold tap on in the bathroom for around 1 second it starts filling up at normal speed.

Could this be some sort of airlock?

If air is getting in, is water leaking out somewhere?

How do I fix it?

stumpy01

Sounds counter-intuitive, but maybe when the pressure is high, it is forcing some kind of blockage (washer breaking down?) in the ball valve to slow the flow down.
    When you turn a tap on, you are reducing the pressure/flow to the ball valve and it’s filling quicker, because maybe the lowe pressure isn’t forcing the restriction/blockage?

Dunno, sounds a bit far fetched I admit, but a new ball valve and float is only £5-6 and not hard to replace.

wwaswas

Wash your hands in the bathroom after every visit?

Win-win solution, the toilet cistern fills up quicker and you get clean hands 🙂

footstomper
    Free Member

Cheap & Very Good

Replaced my toilet valve a while back with one of these, it fills at least twice as fast as previous & very quite.

jp-t853

Mine was doing that (apart from the tap thing) for two years until I realised a little rubber diaphragm was split. It took one minute and £2.50 to fit and all is fine now.

Turning the tap on maybe helps the pressure behind the diapraghm so it acts like it is not split??

Loads of vids on YouTube.

mudmuncher

Thanks guys, will pick up a new fill valve.

beaker2135

Sounds like the diaphragm has got stiff pop a new one in and all should be well

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Weird toilet plumbing issue’ is closed to new replies.