Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Weight Hang Up??
  • orangeboy
    Free Member

american classic hubs and revolution spokes

njee20
    Free Member

Nice, any reason for not just buying the stock wheelset then? If you build them 2-cross like the stock wheelsets they should be <1220g, I reckon 1200 will be pushing it. Should be nice wheels though, hopefully get some myself once Paligap get the rims in.

Woody
    Free Member

He claimed that over a 24hr continuous race at constant speed the 2g bolts would equate to 6km less distance

Working on that principle, if his bike gets muddy he may well start going backwards 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Managed to miss that post!

Companies like Ax-Lightnes, etc always have a huge blurb about how rigorously tested their stuff is while still being feather-light. If their stuff really is the shiznit why do you never see any elite riders using it?

What? Like Christophe Sauser when he won the World Champs:

That's an AX-Lightness 'Daedalus' seatpost, Extralite 'UltraEnds' bar ends and an alu front rotor on there too.

Sabine Spitz is famous for being a proper hardcore weight-weenie too, her Beijing bike was right near the UCI limit.

Schmolke TLO seatpost and bars, Tune Speedneedle and bar ends, THM Carbones Claviculas.

The crazy stuff gets used, but it's not more widespread because a seatpost is €400, and there's a line!

As for 6km benefit from some bottle bolts, that's got to be apocryphal, no one's that deluded.

andrewh
    Free Member

A simple experiment.

20.6Lbs full-suss XC-bike
    34Lbs 'Big bike,' also a full suss.
    Same route.

The lighter one felt faster, and this was confirmed by the stopwatch. Maybe this was due to the extra drag on the bigger tyres on the big bike.
    Same 9st12 rider both times.

Having said that there was fairly steep down technical bit where the heavier bike was quicker, but only on that section.

njee20
    Free Member

How much quicker? According to the 'weight off you/the bike is the same' it should be 8.8% faster (I think…) on the lighter bike, which is not unsubstantial at all!

andrewh
    Free Member

Was thinking of the National XC course at Inners last year, had been up having a bit of fun on the big bike for the week before and did a couple of timed runs on the course while I was there. If I remember right there was 6-7minutes a lap in it compared to my race times on the light bike, surprised by how much of a difference there was, but the downhill bits were more fun on big bike.

The comment about the tyres was just me trying to be funny. Be interesting if someone has two bikes which are genuinely identical other than weight (is that even possible? Maybe use one bike and fill the seat-tube with lead shot for the second timed run, although even that would change the centre of gravity) With my two there's all sorts of differences, geometry being the big one but also coil/air, single-pivot/linkage, etc, etc.

Monkeeknutz
    Free Member

The anti weight weenie lobby are (usually) fat knackers carrying a bag loaded up with enough spares and pies to run a pie and spares stall, who could ride a carbon unicycle with a semi slick and still be slow biffers with all of the acceleration of one of those dogs with a lamp shade on its head and its arse on one of those little trolleys.

oh…

😀

glenncampbell

I prefer to ride a reliable and relatively light bike in that order. For general trail riding I really don't worry too much about weight – for enduro's and 24 hour racing I take as much weight off as possible on the bike and on me. Well, as for me I might give merlot up the night before and that's about it to be honest. I ended up shouldering the bike for over a mile every night lap last year soloing at SITS and can guarantee that weight matters then. Really. The rest is just personal preference.

Last year I replaced my old 35lb Enduro with a new 28lb Enduro.

I then proceeded to lose 28lbs off me.

I noticed the benefit of losing 7lb from the bike more than the 28lbs from me.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Weight Hang Up??’ is closed to new replies.