Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Wedding Readings – the Song of Solomon
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

I learn that an otherwise not particularly interesting wedding that I am obliged to attend at the weekend is to be enlivened by a reading from Song of Solomon.

Does anybody have any experience of this occurring at weddings?

While much of it is very entertaining I am struggling to see which bits it would be wise to unleash…

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Well, I reckon chapters 7 and 8 may raise a few eyebrows!!! 8)
    Hope there aren’t any aged maiden aunts attending! 😯

BigDummy
    Free Member

We have a little sister, and she hath no breasts: what shall we do for our sister in the day when she shall be spoken for?

miketually
    Free Member

Song of Solomon 2:10-13, 8:6-7 is the usual, apparently:

My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
    For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
    The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;
    The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Set me as a seal upon thine heart, as a seal upon thine arm: for love is strong as death; jealousy is cruel as the grave: the coals thereof are coals of fire, which hath a most vehement flame.
    Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the substance of his house for love, it would utterly be contemned.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Even that rather tame section is rendered wonderful by “the voice of the turtle is heard in our land”. 🙂

Ambrose

I was well peeved when Mrs Ambrose refused to allow the Song of Solomon to be read at our wedding- she is a Catholic AND The Song was on a list of reccommended readings…. Grrrrrrrr.

I really wanted to liven up the maiden aunts 😉
    And as for Mrs A’s little sis….. She’s all grown up!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Wedding Readings – the Song of Solomon’ is closed to new replies.