Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 615 total)
  • Website redesign – Update
  • Cougar

I’ve asked TPTB for an update.

Jamie
    Free Member

Even Cougar has to beg for scraps of info. It’s like we’re dealing with Apple 😥

Anyway, while we’re screaming into the void. I have an issue where after inserting an image, It doesn’t always allow me to scroll the input box down to add more text.

iOS/Safari.

scotroutes

Ooh. Never seen that one.

Thanks Cougar. Thing is, I like the new Theme, it’s a pity there’s so much currently wrong with it.

Cougar

I’ve been told they’re working through priorities and will be fixing bugs as soon as they can. Hope that helps.

DickBarton

So bugs aren’t priorities? Do we get to find out what are priorities?

Drac

Well I’d say some bugs will be and others won’t. I’m not sure why you feel the need to know the priority list.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

He’s a special agent, he’s obvioulsy investigating something.

Drac

Probably has a friend in the military.

zippykona

What colour is the ST boat house?

scotroutes

Well, if we knew what was considered a bug – and therefore likely to be getting fixed – and what wasn’t, then perhaps folk would only concentrate on the former. That’s pretty much standard practice in software/UI testing and it would seem that WE are the testers. But, you know, we’re only the users so maybe our opinion doesn’t matter 🙄

Seriously, folk are trying to help.

Drac

Reporting bugs is helpful, asking what the priorities are and can I see them isn’t.

scotroutes

Reporting bugs is helpful, asking what the priorities are and can I see them isn’t.
    [/quote]OK – what are the bugs and what are the “features” then?

AlexSimon

Drac – Moderator

Reporting bugs is helpful, asking what the priorities are and can I see them isn’t. You can see why people* might be getting frustrated though can’t you?
    No visible consideration of points made.
    No acknowledgement of bugs when reported.
    No update on when any of this might be looked at again.

*It’s not me tbh as I use a desktop PC 95% of the time, but I can see why others are.

DezB
    Free Member

I miss being able to resize on my iPad 🙁
    …and Jamie’s issue – I have to rotate to portrait mode to insert text into the IMG/VIDEO/QUOTE/etc dialog box, otherwise it’s hidden behind the onscreen kybd.
    I’m sure they know about this stuff already but s’along thread innit.

dazh

You can see why people* might be getting frustrated though can’t you?

Not really. It’s an internet forum where people talk sh*te all day. I think in that respect it’s probably not very high on the list of priorities compared to the lots of other stuff the STW dev team/person have to do.

No visible consideration of points made.
    No acknowledgement of bugs when reported.
    No update on when any of this might be looked at again.

Diddums! Honestly, it’s really not that important. You (or others) are looking for excuses to get upset about something that really isn’t worth getting upset about.

dragon
    Free Member

it’s probably not very high on the list of priorities compared to the lots of other stuff the STW dev team/person have to do.

It’s their shop front in effect and where a lot of people come into contact with the brand. A shabby experience here will reflect on the rest of the setup.

How come Grit.cx still looks better than this place, despite the disparities in forum traffic?

DezB
    Free Member

looking for excuses to get upset about something that really isn’t worth getting upset about

You’re talking about my LIFE man! 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Diddums! Honestly, it’s really not that important. You (or others) are looking for excuses to get upset about something that really isn’t worth getting upset about.

I know I am going out on a limb here, but do you ever think that not everything has to be of life or death import, for people to ask about?

Also, the patronising and belittling makes you look like a muffin farmer.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oooh, is it muffin season yet?

Rubber_Buccaneer

it’s really not that important

True, it’s far from life and death but for some the success of the site and mag may be a living. I have barely looked at the site on my (android) mobile since the update. Not a conscious decision just something I realised I haven’t been doing as much as I used to. It just isn’t as easy to use so I don’t.

Edit: Still on it loads on my work PC which isn’t as bad apart from the auto sizing thing

DickBarton

I’m curious….I’m involved in this kind of thing as a living and I’m genuinely interested in knowing what the plans are as it looks like nothing is…a thread was posted up asking for reports and very little has happened, so has it been requested to stop us moaning elsewhere?
    Whatever the buzzword is – stakeholder management – it appears to be non-existent, which promotes bad experiences, etc.
    People are complaining as they feel some kind of link with the place and they want to see it working…
    The silence from the owners is the biggest issue as all it does is annoy the users (who have been told are money makers) – people will stop using it and the model fails…so look after the money-making side and the rest should be simple.
    However, you are right Draw, why should we want to know how things are going…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It is quite interesting how they have managed to change almost nothing yet at the same time mess up the experience so much d:

acidtest
    Free Member

It doesn’t look like they’ve got the in-house expertise to sort the site out, decent web devs aren’t cheap or easy to come by. I’m pretty miffed as to why they’ve not restored the template from backup and then worked on a dev version of the site with some beta testers.

DickBarton

Steady…you appear to be going in with a solution, rather than just the problem so they can recommend a best approach for resolution…

Head in the sand isn’t a solution…which is how it appears without any updates.

Jamie
    Free Member

To be fair, they have rolled out Daz to tell us we’re all moaning and should move on with our lives.

dazh

Maybe they should open source the code so us lot can help out fixing bugs? That’s a serious suggestion BTW. I’d be more than happy to chip in if there was any way to help, and I’m sure others would too.

AlexSimon

decent web devs aren’t cheap or easy to come by

I’m cheap and easy to come by. The decent part I’ll leave for others to say 🙂

DickBarton

Can this be a sticky topic to make it easier to flag bugs, issues and features?

Jamie
    Free Member

Oddly enough, originally it was.

bearnecessities

My guess is that they’re sticking with the mobile theme no matter what anyone says.

Which is a shame, but if it’s working as a whole for their business/traffic/internetmoneymakingstuff then I understand – so what if a few vocal twerps that post incessant shit don’t like it?

If it isn’t though, then frankly, it’s a big fat sack of crap and sort it aaaht.

Please.

tillydog
    Free Member

Can this be a sticky topic to make it easier to flag bugs, issues and features?

…unless you’re on an iphone: Multi-page threads are a no-go area for me now, so posting this from PC after this morning’s closed thread.

PURLEEEESE can we have zoom back for threads, and the full title, and the time of the latest post with a link directly to it. Just give me the option of the desk-top site in the iphone.

PURLEEEEEEEESE!

dragon
    Free Member

t doesn’t look like they’ve got the in-house expertise to sort the site out,

Nail head.

You wonder were the focus is nowadays when there are front page ‘News’ stories about Drones and Hoverthings.

Jamie
    Free Member

It doesn’t look like they’ve got the in-house expertise to sort the site out,

I think they have one guy on it. Which always seems risky.

bearnecessities

All said though, as the mobile version is that shite and work laptop is on some archaic explorer/Firefox that has an aneurism trying to load STW, my productivity has increased so much I have been promoted 12 times and am now ridiculously important and successful.

Obviously I no longer know what vacuum to buy, but I can instead afford to get a man/woman/sex-droid in to do it. In fact sod it, leave the site as it is.

scotroutes

😆

Jamie
    Free Member

Well. Unless they’re contracting out the work, this article suggests it’s just Ali doing it.

scotroutes

Mibbe Cougar was just trying to be gender non-specific.

Jamie
    Free Member

Or they lied to him.

DickBarton

Or they haven’t responded to his question…

DickBarton

Have I managed to get lucky and avoid all the adverts? I seem to be getting a repeat ad with people walking around the British Museum…when I click it, it takes me to http://www.memeglobal.com which appears to be a network for monetizing website traffic.

So have I been lucky enough to be able to avoid all ads?

Been like that for about 5 days.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 615 total)

The topic ‘Website redesign – Update’ is closed to new replies.