• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by jimmy.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Waterproof jacket and shorts; the 2021 edition
  • stayhigh

Morning all

Where are we at with what’s good in the wonderful world of waterproof jacket and shorts? After eeking another winter out of both of mine last year its highly doubtful they’ll be up to much this year so what’s hot and what’s not?

ton

columbia outdry jacket. chopped off army goretex shorts. just spot on.

johnnystorm

I took my decathlon AM trousers out last weekend and I’m not sure I’ll bother with waterproof shorts again and instead stick to trousers for winter riding.

pothead
    Free Member

stick to trousers for winter riding.

+1, not cheap but Fox Ranger 3l would be my choice, also have a pair of the Decathlon AM pants which are spot on for the price but the Fox’s are better all round

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trouser convert here too, keeps feet drier as well.

stayhigh

Have a pair of surplus cut off but have always found them somewhat flappy around the knees so ideally would like something with a better fit. Not aware of the Decathlon trousers or Columbia jacket so will have a poke on their respective sites.

Fat-boy-fat

Endurance mt500 waterproof trousers rather than shorts for me. Rab borealis windproof unless it is tipping it down, then gore paclite.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Get an Endura onesie or Dirtlej thing. Not so crippingly expensive second hand but nothing beats them for the winter

lawman91

Forget shorts, get Trousers. I’ll always recommend 7Mesh as the quality and durability justifies the price, but saw some decent looking Altura waterproof trousers in the LBS the other day that might be worth a look if they fit OK. Might not be the most durable though.

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah trousers are 100% the way for winter imo. I’m currently looking for waterproof ones as well after several winters of non waterproof ones.
    The Patagonia ones look great and seem well reviewed but unless you want to remortgage your house..
    Couple mates have some Troy Lee waterproof trousers and like them but say they get wet after a few hours. Are the decathlon am trousers proper waterproof or just splash proof?
    I’ve always found I just sweat and get wet from the inside when wearing waterproofs but then I’ve never bought expensive ones!

vmgscot

Decathlon AM convert here – also liking my Nukeproof packable waterproof recently purchased

stayhigh

Holy bump batman!

In light of recent bad weather, I’ve still not got round to getting anything sorted out!

Have been looking at the Rab Zenith or Montane Zenith.

Any thoughts?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Look at mountain-kit.co.uk, you’ll get that or another Montane jacket much cheaper.

matt_outandabout

Get an Endura onesie or Dirtlej thing. Not so crippingly expensive second hand but nothing beats them for the winter

Eldest_oab won one in the summer. He’s very impressed with his… Just the right balance of warm and dry Vs vented and not too hot. Jumpsuit jokes aside, there’s little wrong with it.

oikeith

I picked up the Endura Onesie of the summer and am thinking this weekend might be its maiden voyage on the bike.

Its been used as an adult puddle suit several times and been very comfortable.

lowey

Took the plunge this year and got a 7Mesh Revelation jacket and, after a recommendation on here, a pair of Patagonia Dirt Roamer Storm trousers.

Expensive, but very impressed. I’ve had 4 absolutely minging rides in the last month and they have kept me dry even on a 5 hour ride in the lakes where it rained / hailed and snowed non stop.

joepud
    Free Member

I took my decathlon AM trousers out last weekend and I’m not sure I’ll bother with waterproof shorts again and instead stick to trousers for winter riding.

fully agree I just don’t get shorts in winter. Before it was the only option but now trousers all the way. You stay warm, and you can take them off at the end of a ride and you’re not covered in mud meaning you keep the car clean.

scuttler

I follow Lowey on Strava. He’s done some truly manky rides recently. That is a review ^^

v7fmp

i got a Endura singletrack onesie late last year. used it through winter and was pleased with my purchase. Does exactly what it says on the tin. The only thing was i ordered a large, which was massive, so had to downsize to a medium, but still find the trouser a little bit baggier than i would like.

Outside of this, i have a fox jacket from a few years ago that is still going well. So i wanted some trousers to match to give me options when the weather isnt quite to biblical. So i ordered some Fox Ranger 3L Water trousers. In my usual large, which is a 34 inch waist. With the ratchet done at its tightest i could still wiggle them down. So sent back and ordered a medium which is a 32. Around the waist they were fine, but the legs were super tight. Dont think i could have got a knee pad under them, but oddly the ankle was a bit baggy.

So they went back too. I have looked at other options, but they are either very expensive (7mesh) or dont get great reviews…… Ideally i need to find a shop with various options in stock to try on. Easier said than done!

jimmy

I have yet to put them to the test but bought these recently. Seem to be a bit of a bargain – if they work well of course.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/endura_mtr_waterproof_trousers-ID_75983

z1ppy

The issue for me with those, with those is that my Endura MTR jacket is paper thin (summer only), compared to the singletrack* version, which is probably the same to the MT500 stuff..
    Be interest to hear how you get on @jimmy though I’m now tempted by the singletrack trousers**

*which I think is a brilliant waterproof jacket, though not insulating in any way.

** aha! I was asked what I wanted for xmas… sorted!

jimmy

@z1ppy – I was wary of the MTRs being too think and fully expected to send them back. But they seem robust enough, reinforced seat. Hopefully ok.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof jacket and shorts; the 2021 edition’ is closed to new replies.