Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Waterproof camera / video recorders…. what's good? Lumix FT3?
  • giantonagiant

Hello,

I know there are a lot of camera savvy types on here, so wondering what anyone can recommend for a stick in the pocket digital camera/recorder that will take a bit of stick and dampness.

I think the Panasonic Lumix FT3 looks like it does all I want and more.. any experiences?

Also, how are camerabox.co.uk for dealing with? (I seem to recall there are some dodgy online camera stores!).

Thanks!

BadlyWiredDog

I have an FT2 – the FT3’s predecssor – which I bought from camerabox without any problems. I don’t use it for video at all, but it’s a cracking little stills camera and has survived conditions which have killed normal digital compacts without blinking its little camera eyes… I’m not a photo-head, but the quality seems good to me. Proper camera freaks doubtless will probably differ on that front.

It lives in a Berghaus pouch on the side of my normal riding pack and has been crashed on, deluged and generally maltreated. And because it’s tough, you end up carrying and using it in situations where you wouldn’t normally bother for fear of killing an expensive bit of electronics.

Frankers
    Free Member

I have the FT3, seems pretty good and very tough.

Only negatives are that you have to remember to check the lenses as you can destroy images with finger prints, and also the GPS doesn’t locate that quick.

I bought mine from Amazon and use a Lowepro Apex 20AW case

WackoAK
    Free Member

If you are more interested in making video rather than taking many photos the the kodak playsport is a good option. It shoots at 60fps in 720p mode.

giantonagiant

Thanks very much chaps (frankers – that was me that emailed you earlier).

Looks like a goer, anyone else experience of camerabox?

Conqueror
    Free Member

take a look at the sony tx5 also

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-DMC-FT3-vs-Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC-TX5

also look at the olympus tough series and the pentax optio

molgrips
    Free Member

Just got an Oly mju tough 6010 for £110 from a German eBay store.

As a camera, it’s pretty camera-ey, nothing special. The menus are rather nice; you have some degree of control over the settings; it’s got a panorama function; and best of all you can navigate the menus by tapping the sides (some reviewer thought it was rather silly but I suppose he’s never tried to use a small buttoned electronic device whilst wearing gloves…) But it’s waterproof and tough, which is cool. It means you can holster it on a rucksack strap like so:

Also just found out there’s a neoprene arm strap case for it too for when you are doing water sports.. nice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof camera / video recorders…. what's good? Lumix FT3?’ is closed to new replies.