Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Water Softener Salt – why are prices going up ?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Normally buy 25kg bags and have been pay roughly £12 per bag including delivery

Now it’s gone up to approx £18 per bag!

Is there a world salt shortage ?

Poopscoop

Lots of reasons.

Inflation.
    Supply chain problems.
    Haulage issues.
    Energy costs meaning production prices rise.
    Producing problems due to personal shortages.

Another thing I wont mention as I agree about not crossing the streams!

BigJohn

All the salt mines are in Russia.

Poopscoop

^^ I didn’t think of Putin.

To be clear,I love and respect you Mr Putin, it was BigJohn that brought you into this.

Bar steward!

(He likes his tea with 2 sugars.)

CountZero

Not entirely true, we have them in this country too; where d’you think all the road grit comes from. Bloody massive they are, too!

Inside the UK’s largest salt mine http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35322992

dyna-ti

Thank God for Scottish water.

stingmered

What is the water softening need you speak of?

onehundredthidiot

(He likes his tea with 2 sugars.)

Camomile obviously, well because…

maccruiskeen

a lot of the problems we’re facing with costs and supply across all sectors is that in ‘normal times’ (if we can remember what they are) there has been a trend of companies maximising dividends each year by holding minimal stock and working on a just-in-time basis. This works fine for them day to day but leaves them vulnerable to periods of crisis (strikes, volcanos, weather, pestilence) – but actually they’re not vulnerable, we are.  For the rest of us we face shortages when times are hard but for the suppliers…. shortages are as bonanza. Demand and prices are pushed up – not having enough to sell means you sell for as much as you like.  This is the disaster capitalism folk talk about.

In my industry timber demand is high, prices are very high, and stocks in short supply and slow to arrive – some of this you can point to covid and Brexit and other global issues  for – shipping costs and import problems, container ships wedged sideway in the Suez Canal a warm winter in Scandinavia . But the materials seemingly both in shortest supply and which has seen the highest price increase (almost 400%) – is boring old chipboard. I’m currently paying the same for cheapo chipboard as I am for premium Scandinavian plywood.

We produce chipboard  in the Uk (if I stood on the roof I could see one of the factories from my house), from a mix of post industrial and reclaimed materials neither of which are in any short supply. With both prices and demand hight you’d think they’d all be turning the handle as fast as they can yes? Word is, some of them have actually halted their production lines – its better for them to slow down than speed up.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It’s not rock salt, as far as I am aware it’s sea salt… happy to be proved wrong

Edit: corrected from Cheshire

Tablet Water Softener salt is sometimes called Pellet Salt and is the most common, being used in most domestic and many commercial water softeners. Salt tablets are either pillow shaped, like a humbug sweet or a round tablet roughly the size of a bottle top. Tablet salt is typically packed in 25kg bags, although 10kg bags are available but at a price premium. Most of todays water softeners use salt tablets. Popular brands include Hydrosoft and Aquasol which are both premium British Salts made from rock salt from Cheshire. Aquasol is also the market leading premium tablet salt.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Water Softener Salt – why are prices going up ?’ is closed to new replies.