Home Forums Chat Forum Watches N+1…

• This topic has 9,313 replies, 420 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by Kato.
Viewing 34 posts - 9,281 through 9,314 (of 9,314 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • DrJ

Maybe someone can help me out and suggest a place in Newcastle to service a Rolex? The background story is that it was my FIL’e and it has more value to me for sentimental reasons than timekeeping. It does keep decent time but I keep thinking I should  have it serviced just to make sure it’s in good condition. Having said that, I’m afraid the repair shop will take it to bits and then tell me it will cost a mint to service and reassemble  in which case I’d rather keep it as it is !!

tthew

One of the Seiko watches I’m looking at has -+17sec swing per day and that’s on a 600qiud watch.( Automatic)

They’re never as bad as the specs. My Mini Turtle with a 4S movements has been -7 this week. I’ve lost the records for my other ones with a a change of phone, but they were a all within 10 seconds.

boblo
    Free Member

@drj a lot of us here have used and recommend Calibre in Dundee. I had my Sub serviced there last year and the process was A1. I’m in Cambs and everything was easy peasy by post.

Kryton57

As above. I’ve measured of mine – 1 x 6r and 1 x 4r calibre to similar tolerances.

im falling for my Siekos again, after wearing the King Sam all week & the Arnie is my weekend watch.   I’ve discovered why I like big and / or heavier watches – I have virtually no “knuckle” bone so everything ends up at the end of my forearm rather than the end of my hand if that makes senses – the bigger watch’s cover the gap in my wrist to look more normally situated.

still can’t abide the orange 5kx though :(

DrJ

@drj a lot of us here have used and recommend Calibre in Dundee

Thanks. I’ll take a look :-). What service did you use to send in your watch ?

Edit – I see they arrange that.

boblo
    Free Member

Edit – I see they arrange that.

They do and it’s painless.

Kryton57

… and fully insured.

sanername

I have just got two of my grandfather’s pocket watches back from being repaired. Sorry about the not great photos, but they are very lovely things and now holding time perfectly. IMG_9286IMG_9287IMG_9288IMG_9289IMG_9290

Kryton57

Wow look at that!

w00dster

They are absolutely beautiful!

Better photos would be good when you get the chance…..

dmorts

Lovely @sanername who did the work?

sprootlet
    Free Member

@boblo can you give an idea of the cost of your service by calibre ? I appreciate it will vary depending on the work required, I wasn’t happy with the last one when the watch fell off my wrist the first time I wore it as they’d not attached the bracelet properly

boblo
    Free Member

@sprootlet I’m assuming your watch wasn’t serviced at Calibre when it fell to bits?

My last full service at Calibre was a bit less than £500 including fully insured Special Delivery each way. Back within a week IIRC and Steven fully photographed the process to satisfy my curiosity. Rolex in Mayfair wanted double that and a month IIRC. I had it serviced by Rolex previously and it was £600 probably ~15 years ago.

Kryton57

My 2006 Aquaracer chrono was £330 at Calibre during ‘21 lockdown, fully insured back and forth and hadn’t been serviced since I bought it.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Phew!

I opened my watch case and was worried to see a blank display on my Certina Chronolympic (ca. 1977).

The chances of finding a replacement module for this are low to zero so if a new battery didn’t revive it, it was toast.

I rummaged through my bits and bobs bin and wahey, I found a new Renata 390.

I couldn’t get the back off quickly enough! So, battery in place and back secured I nervously turned it over to see the result. LIFE – the display was working and the watch ready to set. Many sighs of relief.

certina

It’s in lovely condition considering it’s 47 years old.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Re: Calibre

My Sub ND needs a service…15 years old and has had a hard life….its running quite fast now.

Is there any issue about future Rolex servicing (having had third party servicing) should they be used in the future…?

sanername

Thanks for the interest. I had the pocket watches serviced at Steven Hale by Bond street tube station. Not cheap, but they are quite valuable both sentimentally and monetarily. They are both gold repeaters

the golden coloured half hunter is a minute repeater by Audemars London, it has lovely blued hands and an inscribed back plate.

the silver coloured one doesn’t have a makers mark that I can see. it is a quarter repeater and has my grandfather’s initials on the front (as he signed them) and his name in Chinese on the back (he lived in China from the 20s to the 50s).

neilnevill
    Free Member

No it’s not,  it’s a sprite, a, version of the gmt.  Which does I admit look very very much like the sub.  I don’t think they share the same case oddly, I may be wrong but I think there are teenie tiny differences.

Kryton57

I was looking at that also the other day, but I have a thing against homages; I don’t want the “oh you have a…. Ah no, it isn’t”, and also I know it isn’t “real” despite being a perfectly adequate watch.  I want the real one.

Add to that I’m at a brick wall with my collection, I have everything I need, and anything I’d want to upgrade to is serious money, serious enough to have to cull the collection and need some serious saving to get to.   I keep looking at the £300-£600 range and thinking, “nah, it adds nothing other than just another watch to give me a daily indecision derived headache”.

Two days ago I got offered the grey graduated King Sumo for half price.   A while back I would have just bought it, but now it adds nothing really.  I keep looking at the latest half metal Solar Casioak, but why?  Equally the 63mas at 2/3 price – a significant upgrade theoretically to my King Sam & Slim turtle/Willard, but other than the GMT hand and the case shape I’m not getting anything else for my £1000 (except less watches).

Im in a weird space, sorry for the monologue mind dump.

Kryton57

I’d rather admire those pocket watches ^^^ and pieces like the Jacob & Co Astronomia Revolution seen here from 19 mins, let it play until you see the animation of the full watch build, holy crap that’s a thing…

sanername

If they made a Jacob & Co Astronomia Revolution pocket watch… well I’d look at it at and think it was a very nice thing.

ditch_jockey

Spotted on EBay this morning – definitely a ‘statement’ watch to wear on special occasions link

derek_starship
    Free Member

@ditch_jockey…I believe Mickey Mouse wears one of those.

edhornby
    Kryton57

Just popping in to confirm that the hot / freezing water thing over a rubber strap at the bottom of an appropriately sized mug works.  Cue cheap thick strap now is much softer and wears more comfortably with a curve to it.

Bullet

Hope you took it off first ?

tthew

Anyone recommend me a nice 18mm leather deployment to dress up my new/old Seiko? This one has decent reviews and the price feels enough to be reasonable quality without being mad expensive seeing as I’d not really use it that often.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Booooo

My Helm Vanuatu has broken (but it’s still going).

At work today I noticed my watch was rattling, thought a pin had come loose and the bracelet was about to fall apart. Nope. All pins firm but giving the watch a little shake-wind and I can hear what I assume if the auto winding counter weight slopping around inside.  Just emailed Matt at Helm as I thought it was a 2 year warranty, but alas not, only 1 year. Hopefully a swift resolution with minimal cost to moi. Annoying though.

johnners
    Free Member

My Helm Vanuatu has broken

They give such an air of indestructibility but inside – there’s just a Seiko!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

NH35 usually quite a solid movement. Not had issue with any one of my other autos. I’ve got a 6309 from the 80s still ticking

Will see what Helm say.

johnners
    Free Member

NH35 usually quite a solid movement. Not had issue with any one of my other autos. I’ve got a 6309 from the 80s still ticking

Sure, don’t get me wrong, I’m not dissing Seikos for a minute. I’ve a few of them and maybe half a dozen various micros and Ali specials with Seiko power on board, my oldest being a 7005-8042 from the seventies that was my dad’s. Timekeeping on my SKX779 is getting a bit wayward but the rest are running fine.

It’s just Helms look and feel like they’re a solid steel billet ( or Ti in my case).

Kato

A beater.  I quite like it.  Cost the same as 1.5 links for my Air King bracelet…..

Viewing 34 posts - 9,281 through 9,314 (of 9,314 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.