Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Watches again….
  • So, I’m wanting a new watch £200-300’ish

I’m generally not much of a fan of most of the watches that come up on here, so might not get the answers I’m looking for, however….

In this sort of price range, which brand is considered ‘better’ from the likes of Citizen, Seiko and……erm…

Needs to not require a replaceable battery.

Bear in mind, this sort of thing appeals to me

enduroforever
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with seiko

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tudor, obviously. 😉

Or,

Seiko SNDA57P1

lunge

Tissot or Seiko at that price for me.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I had a Citizen eco-drive and it kept very good time. I now have a Seiko Sumo which for the money is an impressive watch. You would need to increase your budget slightly but you certainly would not be disappointed that you had done.

teef
    Free Member

If your after a chronograph a digital is a hundredth of a second better than a analogue…

Robz
    Free Member

Nixon chrono is cool. About £300ish

nixon webby

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

That citizen looks like a dogs dinner!

Xylene
    Free Member

Orient Watches – bargain and well made.

duncancallum

Christopher Ward?

eemy
    Free Member

What you need is a Casio Pro Trek – just like the one in the classifieds
    Link

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nixon chrono is cool. About £300ish

No Nixon watch is cool. No fashion watch is cool.

Nomos, Junghans Max Bill, IWC portugese, Vintage Rolex, Schofield, 70’s Breitling top time. All cool.
    Saying a Nixon watch is cool is like saying a Peugeot 206 with a badly fitted bodykit is cool.
    (Apologies if you are still at school then I guess there is a some truth in your statement)

RustyNissanPrairie

[/quote]CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Tudor, obviously.

Or,

Seiko SNDA57P1

Possible PSA – 57% off at Creation watches (cheap genuine Seiko dealers) – now £86
    http://www.creationwatches.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5832&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKEAiA9qCnBRCb7ZDhvaHSyicSJABGFFHt_8dga0uhAzi01hc2afVh9_WRKULWFoLHFX7oPYukXBoCsDrw_wcB

mark90
    Free Member
    isto
    Free Member

I have a Seiko SKX009 which is automatic and I couldn’t recommend it enough. Well built, automatic and not flash/pretentious/up it’s own arse were my prerequisites. I kept the price down so I could put a decent leather strap on it as don’t like the metal/rubber ones.

Looking at the one you have posted above this might be more appealing to you though.

DrJ

Are you a keen diver? I heard Tudor watches are really great for that. Just take some money from your Lloyd’s account and buy one.

kahunajb
    Free Member

I have 3 Citizen eco-drive watches and like them very much. My favourite is the Nighthawk of which there are a number of different variants.

That Seiko pictured above however looks very nice and is a cracking price on the link.

jp-t853

Worth looking on the creation watches website and factor in 20% vat and £12.50 postage handling cost just in case.

Seiko velatura is similar style and in range but battery
    A seiko solar diver chrono ssc015 well under budget on creation. The uk jewellery chains stock these at well over £200 so you can see one before you buy.

Have a look at the citizen range also as they are just as good. Plenty of promaster models in range.

Robz
    Free Member

MrSmith
    No Nixon watch is cool. No fashion watch is cool.
    Nomos, Junghans Max Bill, IWC portugese, Vintage Rolex, Schofield, 70’s Breitling top time. All cool.
    Saying a Nixon watch is cool is like saying a Peugeot 206 with a badly fitted bodykit is cool.
    (Apologies if you are still at school then I guess there is a some truth in your statement)

Ha ha. No I left school a while ago.
    I knew there’d be a few watch snobs object to my recommendation. I think the OP may struggle to source an IWC for £200-£300.

I would rather wear a Nixon than a £300 Casio or Citizen but then I like trainers and tattoos a lot too so I guess we are probably on a different page.

I can accept your viewpoint though. I am equally snobbish about many other things… Just not watches.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Less is more. Still fixated in this one for 2015.

Xylene
    Free Member

We are going well – I could be wrong, but I think approximately one person has suggested (as requested) a watch that doesn’t need replacement batteries.

Those Nixon’s might look alright with the buttons in the right place

derek_starship
    Free Member

Mark90 has it. And what a brilliant price.

I have the same watch on a st.st. bracelet and it is very, very good.
    Good looking, accurate and solar powered so no battery faff.
    Bargain.

thatscold
    Free Member

OP you can’t beat the Citizen you’ve pictured. Atomic clock synchronisation, sapphire crystal, wr 200, Eco-drive..etc.

Nixon look nice, but they’re just fashion watches. Seiko are ok, but they don’t offer the same value as that Citizen, and don’t be sucked into the Seiko 5 automatics, the movements are incredibly cheap and poor at time keeping.

superleggero
    Free Member

Agree with thatscold about Citizen. I’ve had one of their Promaster Carbons for about 5 years. Atomic timekeeping synchronisation, Eco drive solar powered, 200m waterproof. Worn daily and haven’t had to make any adjustments since I got it. Keeps time to the second and will never need a battery. 6 month power reserve if no light available.

jp-t853

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member
    We are going well – I could be wrong

You are

Robz
    Free Member

Sorry. I totally overlooked the battery requirement.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Agreed with super Lego ,I love my promaster carbon ,I managed to pick mine up fro a dive shop in Bolton some 120 pound cheaper than goldsmiths , I’ve fancied an At citizen for a while but went a little silly and bought a Seamaster

Seiko 007s can be customized and will always be a true time piece

CountZero

thatscold – Member
    OP you can’t beat the Citizen you’ve pictured. Atomic clock synchronisation, sapphire crystal, wr 200, Eco-drive..etc.

Nixon look nice, but they’re just fashion watches. Seiko are ok, but they don’t offer the same value as that Citizen, and don’t be sucked into the Seiko 5 automatics, the movements are incredibly cheap and poor at time keeping.
    Is that right? Well, you could have fooled me.
    My Seiko cost me £350, is automatic, was set correctly when the clocks changed, back in October, and is currently exactly one minute fast.
    And isn’t all cluttered up with a bunch of extra dials and functions that 99% of owners never use.
    If you can point me in the direction of another fully mechanical watch in the same price bracket, which can match that level of time keeping, I’d be interested to see it.
    If my maths are correct, it’s gaining 3.75 seconds a week; a modern chronometer certified watch would be best +/-3, worst +6/-4 seconds per day, non-certified best +/-2, worst +/-10 seconds per day.
    Not too shabby for a cheap watch.

thatscold
    Free Member

CountZero you must be very lucky because the movement is rated at -20/+40 seconds a day. Watches are all about personal taste and I’m glad yours gives you so much pleasure, but I stand by my comments about value and quality. After all Seiko offer a two year guarantee and Citizen’s is 5 years which says it all for me.

craigxxl
    Free Member

My Seiko Sumo kept the same time as my Citizen Eco Drive. I guess I must be lucky too that my watches kept time.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I love the look of the Tudor Heritage Ranger…but the price is just prohibitive for me. I also had a look at the watch the OP posted up because of some of its features but put off by the additional control crowns as I finf they tend to dig in the back of my hand. So for now I’ll stick with my two watches, an digital old G shock for rough stuff and an analogue faced g shock tough solar radio controlled for daily wear…..it has all I need…time, day, date and accuracy and if it goes out of accuracy it sets itself right and no battery required.

If I were to go for something a little more understated it might be the INOX

Shame or doesn’t have the features I want

ButtonMoon

Lots of differing opinion, that is based on taste. I have a list of essentials when spending over £200.
    1. Sapphire Crystal – mineral scratches immediately
    2. Atomic time – Why have a watch if it isn’t telling you exactly the correct time.
    3. Date + day on the display

Yes, I have a citizen and are really impressed. People have commented on the ‘busy’ face of the OP Citizen, but it is actually showing informative info. I picked mine up off Amazon for £280 (at8010-58e).
    The only reservation I would have about the grey Citizen, is how the grey may scratch. Oh, and they’re quite heavy.

Depends what you want your watch to do?

RustyNissanPrairie
    BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

How about a Casio Edifice? Solar, radio control etc.

They do various models along the lines of the citizen in the OP.

e.g.

ButtonMoon

Casio edifice – I considered these myself, but spending that much and they don’t have sapphire Crystal!

The face well look shabby as soon as it gets scratched.

How about a Citizen…..

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

That Casio is busy – I can barely tell the time on it! Minging.

The more I see this watch, the more I think I have to have it. It doesn’t have a perpetual calendar, or solar/kinetic power, but I can forgive it for it’s looks

With a leather strap, just for CZ…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Watches again….’ is closed to new replies.