Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Wasps nests in sheds….
  • So, every year a few annoying little friends come and chew away at the wood on my shed (not an issue, it’s falling down anyway) and then climb inside and make a couple of small (golf ball sized nests).

I’ve knocked them off in the past, but am considering leaving them this year, as I don’t actually like destroying anything nature gives us – however annoying.

So, will I regret leaving it this year – i.e. will we be over-run with the bleeders in our garden this summer, will they be back next year to make bigger ones etc? At the moment I’ve just got the annoyance of being buzzed every time I go near my bikes – inevitably I will be stung at some point, but is that as bad as it will get? Will mother/father get more agressive as little wasplets emerge?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Nuke them from orbit. Bastards in a black and yellow striped polyester jackets.

teethgrinder

Burn them. With fire.

But don’t use a liquid accelerant if they are above you. Probably end in firey tears after you light it up.

mintimperial

Nope, they don’t reuse their nests so you can just leave them in place.

[Edit: wait, you mean new nests that they’re building? Get rid (carefully!) or they could get huge. We had an old three foot wide one in the loft at our previous house, in a shed it would have been seriously inconvenient…]

bigyinn
    Free Member

See liberal use of fire above.

dashed
    Free Member

Old house had an old one about 2′ across plus several in the golfball to tennis ball range – none were active but there was another monster in our neighbours roof and that was enough for us to be plagued by the blighters.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I’d think twice about using fire in a wooden-shed.

So, will golf ball definitely become beach ball?

If so, they will have to go. If they stay golf ball sized, they can stay.

Might be a broom handle then leg it method!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Liquid-Nitrogen

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Evil, Evil, EVIL creatures!

I had a bad wasp problem a few years ago when a nest in an old bird box migrated into the cavity wall of my house and grew! A lot!

They swarmed one night. It was, to be fair, a fabulous site as there was enough biomass to set off the garden security lights. And they pretty much covered the entire patio doors.

Powdered death paid them a visit the following day.

I was amazed as to how quickly they bred! So now I kill on sight.

wordnumb
    Free Member

There will be a single entrance hole, usually at the base of the nest. Empty a can of wasp spray directly into the hole, spraying continuously, ideally evening time when the wasps will be docile. Then leave until you’re sure there’s no further activity.

Or try to reason with them that there are better places to build their nest.

Harry_the_Spider

Had one in my shed last year.

Knocked it off with a brush. Destroyed it with GT85 and fire.

parkesie
    Free Member

I burnt one while still attached to the shed went up well shed nearly went up aswell 😀

Been and had a look and another layer is being built over the smaller sphere – time to go!

Ze wasps, zey are gooone!

Broom did the trick

T1000
    Free Member

make your shed lest tasty…. paint it with creocote

and hang a Waspinator out side

SamB
    Free Member

martinhutch

Had a few queen wasps sniffing around in the last week or so looking for a good spot to nest. Always satisfying to swat them as they’re worth a hundred of the little bastards later in the season.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Whack ’em with a stick and run like hell, always worked when we were kids and we didn’t die! 😆

SamB
    Free Member

piemonster

I’ve knocked them off in the past, but am considering leaving them this year, as I don’t actually like destroying anything nature gives us – however annoying.

Won’t somebody think of the Caterpillars.

loddrik
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/aCbfMkh940Q[/video]

findo_gask
    Free Member

I quite like wasps but you can’t be having them in your shed. I once blowtorched a football size nest up in the corner of my parents’ old garage.

Asbestos garage, so the nuclear option seemed viable. Wrapped my face in a scarf and torched it before beating a hasty retreat. Cue drama as a couple of hundred angry and confused wasps dropped to the floor and buzzed around dying and/or trying to escape/sting something.

Adrenaline kick but I did feel a tad guilty.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I too had a nest in my shed year before last. I called the council and a nice man in a green uniform came out and smoked them right into death land. He then sprayed the shed with some chemical or other and they’ve not been back since.
    I considered the flame thrower option but as my shed is next to a long wooden fence that stretches around the four houses in my cul de sac I thought better of it.
    BTW the council didn’t charge me for coming out neithers, which was nice.

thejesmonddingo

B****y Labour councils.

plyphon
    Free Member

I hate wasps.

I swear in the past 8 years or so the f**ckers have gotten bigger too.

Bee? Fine! Love those guys.

Wasps? Kill it with fire.

white101

They’re not nice I’ve chased them from mne in the past.

But,

I’d be more concerned about the fact you keep your bikes in a shed which you say is falling apart anyway. Don’t make it easy for the swines that would like to get your hands on your wheels.

Or,

Let wasps build a home in shed and hey presto instant retributon for would be bike theives

lambchop
    Free Member

Wasps always know when and where you’re going to have a picnic, b*stards!

martymac

@harry the spider
    i once ‘dealt’ with a fairly big wasp in my house using a can of gt85 and a lighter.
    there was a shadow on the ceiling afterwards, roughly wasp shaped.

CountZero

there was a shadow on the ceiling afterwards, roughly wasp shaped.

Ah, yes, the ‘Hiroshima’ option… 😀

gwaelod
    Free Member
    CountZero

Whatever you do, don’t leave the car window open…

funkmasterp

Burn everything and move house 😀

Northwind

I am not a cruel or violent person but I’ve squished 2 queens in the garage this year and I did not think it too many.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I am not a cruel or violent person but I’ve squished 2 queens in the garage this year and I did not think it too many.

We’ve gone from insect eradication to gay bashing? 😯

Ewan
    Free Member

Open door, **** nest with a garden broom, leave smartly. Don’t miss tho, as they’ll be annoyed.

Leave the door open and they’ll be gone in a couple of hours.

Alternatively, I took one nest out by filling the barrel of my compressed air potato gun and blasting a litre of water at the nest at 150psi. That got rid of them.

Northwind

TuckerUK – Member

We’ve gone from insect eradication to gay bashing?

Originally I wrote “smashed 2 queens”, shame I changed it really.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Wasps nests in sheds….’ is closed to new replies.