Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Wasp Stings – What do you do ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

just been stung badly by a wasp – what's the best course of action ?

tia

gazman
    Free Member

hit the bastard before it gets near you normally but if its to late piss on it (i mean the sting not the wasp cos its probably gone by now lol)

the_lecht_rocks

it felt like a branding iron on my arm FFS……never been so badly stung !

jonb
    Free Member

not much you can do. Make sure the sting is out and put some anti-histime cream on it. Oh and MTFU 😉 unless you are allergic in which case dial 999.

dartmoor_rocks
    Free Member
    roper
    Free Member

Get someone to urinate on it.
    🙂

stratobiker
    Free Member

roper,
    I don't think it can be just anyone.
    I think it has to be a fair maiden! (for a bloke) 😉

SB

Drac

unless you are allergic in which case dial 999.

I'd to see someone in anaphylatic shock trying to type on a forum.

"wweasop sdtinfgs -= whty fdpom uyuui dio?"

pault41
    Free Member

I got stung 2 wks ago first time in years, the blighter got me twice cause he was caught on my sock on the ankle bone n compressed by edge of me shoe . Surfice to say his life ended there n then .

Itched like hell all night so got antihistamene creme that morning , n found bits of sting still in there.

Wasps what use are they !! Don't even make Honey .!!

Flash
    Free Member

My niece was stung over seventy times last week, she hugged the doctor and asked him to make the pain stop.

dobo
    Free Member

i seem to be a bit of a wasp magnet, been stung 3 times in last couple weeks. they dont really bother me when stung, i'm not one of these wave your arms and legs panicking flappers. though can be itchy for upto a few days later though depending where stung.
    at bbb i was told to use vinegar but they didnt have any 😉 nice burgers and breakie though.

damn i can digress cant i

coffeeking
    Free Member

It's only a wasp sting ya big girl!

geoffj

what's the best course of action ?

MTFU?

Zukemonster
    Free Member

vinegar for wasp stings, bicarbonate of soda for bee stings.

How on earth did you niece get stung 70 times omg omg

Sion
    Free Member

You can't get anaphylactic shock from a wasp sting, can you?

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Yes – you definitely can get anaphylaxis from a wasp sting! One sting in the right (wrong?) place and it can be fatal for a person who has this condition.

Sion
    Free Member

Oh. I never realised wasps have venom.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I got stung on the top of my head a few weeks ago when one of the little buggers flew in through one of my helmet vents.

Later in the day it felt like I'd been hit over the head, I guess having no fat on yer noggin doesn't help with the poision disipation.

Killed the fooker though, yeah 😆 😈

Muke
    Free Member

Popped into Robert Dyas and got one of these today….

Awesome bug zapping fun for £5

Ewan
    Free Member

Er, MTFU and squash it.

z1ppy

I got stung on the top of my head a few weeks ago when one of the little buggers flew in through one of my helmet vents.

Yep happened to me too a couple of weeks back, no warning, just a branding rod like pain on my head, next day my forehead swelled up, then it the swelling moved down round my eye, looked like I'd been given a black eye!
    Been stung before but nothing like this.

Wasp can keep on repeatedly stinging you, nasty little feckers.

Hope you niece is fine Flash.

z1ppy

oh and in reply to the OP:
    painkilling cream or gel or an antihistamine to soothe the itch/sting site or take an antihistamine tablet

CountZero

Sion – Member
    Oh. I never realised wasps have venom.

WTF!
    How the frack do you think they sting? Sorry, but some people's ignorance of things around them just leaves me speechless. Same as those saying to check the sting's not left behind: wasps have smooth stings, hence being able to sting multiple times. Bees have barbed stings, which get ripped out and left behind, killing the bee, which is why bees sting as a last resort. This should be common knowledge, I had a standard education, went to secondary school, never went to college or university, yet I know this stuff. I blame the government, and a dumbed-down education system. 😈

Flash
    Free Member

Zuke – playing in the woods the kids she was with broke open a wasp nest by accident. She was out playing the next day though.

The doctor also had to remove several stings, so even though wasps don't have a barbed sting it can still get left it

Bunnyhop

I got stung 2 weeks ago on an evening ride. The area around the sting swelled up slightly so I used the anti histamine cream.
    The area was red and sore for at least a week.

Wasps are really good for your garden. They eat tons of lavae and bugs, athids etc from the lawn. If we didn't have them we'd be overrun by other flying bugs.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Spent Wednesday afternoon in AE after my wife got stung – just the once on her hand. Mild anaphalatic shock; swollen tongue and lips, 'nettle' type rash and red and blotchy all over – came up within 30 mins. Doctors injected her with hydrocortisone and monitored her for a couple of hours before sending us on our way. Bit scary especially as she's 30 odd weeks pregnant.

Drac

Yes – you definitely can get anaphylaxis from a wasp sting! One sting in the right (wrong?) place and it can be fatal for a person who has this condition.

It doesn't matter where they get stung.

And like wise I've been stung by wasps and the sting left in, usually yes they don't but not always so is worth checking. Chances are it's when knocking off when it happens.

Ewan
    Free Member

It doesn't matter where they get stung.

Even if you're not sensitive to it, getting stung in the throat is a bad thing – the normal swelling you get can constrict your air ways.

However unless you're senstive to the vemon and get anaphalatic shock, wasp sting don't really hurt in my experience.

ski
    Free Member

My daughter who is 2 got stung on the end of her tongue yesterday by a wasp, talk about challenging to remove a sting from the tong of a screaming toddler!

I was told as a kid after getting stung by a bee in the neck, I suffer from anaphylatic shock, my eyes puffed up and found it very hard to breath so ended up in A&E having a bic pen rammed in my neck 😉

But working on a farm years latter, I got stung by some 30 odd wasps and thought I was gonig to be GONNER as I was miles from anywhere, but I had no adverse effects, so now I do wonder if I do suffer from the condition?

Not that I plan to get stung by a bee again 😉

My little one was fine btw, quick dose of liquid piriton just in case and she was her norm self after a bit, could have been a lot worse if she had been stung in the throat I guess.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Got a Hornets nest near our house, you should see them by the outside light at night..massive. Lots of them too.

As for the sting, you can't really do much other than apply some sting cream.

Drac

so now I do wonder if I do suffer from the condition?

Chances are yes you do, there's now also a chance you'll become allergic to wasp stings too now after your 30 stings. It's little complicated how it all works just in from nights so won't explain just now.

sv

Son and I got stung in our garden at the weekend. Discovered a wasps nest in the corner of the garden, like Athens their nest has become a victim of global warming ie it went up in smoke (aided by the petrol I poured on it).

Yep – no sting gets left behind – vinegar – spray/cream or ice if it's near your eyes. Little b's.

gohan
    Free Member

er if im at home get to the fridge for the adrenaline shot, else where call ambulance and wait while my throat swells up…………… 😯

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Wasp Stings – What do you do ?’ is closed to new replies.