• This topic has 32 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by joat.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Was this illegal? (Carphone Warehouse content)
  • Flaperon

In the queue today at the Centre of Doom that is the Carphone Warehouse, waiting behind someone trying to take out a new phone contract at £61(!) a month for an iPhone 6-something.

CW Drone: “Sorry, you’ve failed the credit check.”
    Customer: “Oh. Is there anything you can do?”
    CW Drone: “Well, is there anyone else living at the same address whose details we can use for the check?”
    Customer: “Oh, yes, my brother [reads off personal details including date of birth]”
    CW Drone: “Excellent, that seems to have gone through. Here’s your phone.”

No ****** wonder people have a problem with debt.

scruff9252

If the customer has taken out credit in the name of someone else, it’s often referred to as fraud.

camo16
    Free Member

Was the phone contract in the customer’s name or in his brother’s name?

Either way it sounds shonky to the max.

peter1979
    Free Member

I was a manager at cpw. Definitely fraud. are you sure it went like that, or did they just have to use a different address? Setting up a contract in another persons name without them there, definite fraud. You should speak to the branch manager as I’m sure they’d want to know about it.

andyl
    Free Member

Sounds like ether fraud or his Brother is now guarantor for his contract. Does sound shonky, he’s probably use the trick to go out and take out some credit cards and a new phone now and before he knows it brother is in trouble.

£61 a month for a bloody phone. He probably gets 100 minutes a month and 250mb data for that too. Humans really are morons sometimes.

jambourgie
    Free Member

£61 per month 😯

Is that normal? Mine’s £8 with unlimited everything (except picture messages). I do buy my own phones though, so I bet most of that is HP for a posh phone.

nealglover
    Free Member

£61/month will get you an iphone6 128Gb

Unlimited calls
    Unlimited texts
    10Gb data.

It’s a £700 phone, so Half of the contract cost pretty much covers the phone cost.

So you would actually be paying £30 ish per month for unlimited calls and texts, and 10Gb mobile data.

aracer
    Free Member

Seems steep even for a posh phone – saw a contract for £35 a month for one of those advertised in the high street yesterday.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Right, my phone cost £25 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

They do seem to start around £35 for the 16gb. Seems to go up a lot with memory size.

mefty
    Free Member

Mine’s £8 with unlimited everything

where

nealglover
    Free Member

Seems steep even for a posh phone – saw a contract for £35 a month for one of those advertised in the high street yesterday.

Not for a 128Gb iPhone 6 with nothing to pay upfront.

aracer
    Free Member

Not for a 128Gb iPhone 6 with nothing to pay upfront.

Fair enough – was probably for a 16Gb with IIRC about the same as a month up front. Hadn’t realised extra storage was still so expensive.

Drac

£35 per month uimilted txt and call 4gb data with iPhone 6 64gb upfront £25 after discounts. Picture message comes under the data.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Would have thought you’d need physical I.D. to back up your application?

takisawa2

Mine’s £8 with unlimited everything

Where’s that then… 😯

jambourgie
    Free Member

where

Where’s that then…

Virgin, gawd bless ’em. I should say that I’ve been with them for over a decade and hassle them occasionally. And they won’t give me any new phones any more, which is an outrage I can just about live with.

matt_outandabout

Pfft, we were on £1.73 per month for 500mins/500texr/chunk of data with orange up until last year. It’s still only £8.something with a shiny new phone. 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    £35 per month uimilted txt and call 4gb data with iPhone 6 64gb upfront £25 after discounts. Picture message comes under the data.

Where is that from ?

just5minutes
    Free Member

talktalk uses vodafone, so you’ll have a job using the “unlimited data” what with Vodafone now having the smallest network and the worst coverage on 3g out of all of the networks.

£41 for a Galaxy Note 4 from Three

£550 phone, so £23 a month for the phone and £18 for 4G, unlimited data (2GB personal hotspot), texts and calls.

njee20
    Free Member

Picture message comes under the data.

You sure? iMessage ones yes, but not MMS.

Sandwich

Also beware of using emoticons in text messages as these (the pre-drawn ones not ones made up of punctuation marks entered separately) count as MMS and don’t go on the data according to O2 and Virgin.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

They are included in the data on EE tariffs. Only photos attached to texts get charged extra.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

£30.99 for a Nokia Lumia 930 with unlimited calls + texts, 2Gb data. From EE. That’s at the steep end for me personally (but I LOVE the phone) £61 per month is ridiculous.

kayla1
    Free Member

Phoneshop, S1 E1-

“Can Ashley, Jerwayne and Janine teach new boy Christopher how to ensure that every mug punter within five square miles gets locked down to the most expensive mobile phone contract known to mankind?”

£61 per month? For a phone? 😆

My phone cost a tenner and the battery lasts ages. If I need to use a computer while I’m out and about I either make sure I’ve used one before I go out or wait until I get home.

nealglover
    Free Member

My phone cost a tenner and the battery lasts ages. If I need to use a computer while I’m out and about I either make sure I’ve used one before I go out or wait until I get home.

My dads bike cost a tenner and its lasted him 20 years.
    You are a mug for having different requirements than him and spending more than he does on a bike.

Drac

Where is that from ?

Was an offer the other month, I’ll see if I can find it.

They don’t seem to have the offer on now but it was from Here.

kayla1
    Free Member

My dads bike cost a tenner and its lasted him 20 years.
    You are a mug for having different requirements than him and spending more than he does on a bike.”

Yeah, you’re right. My post was crap. Soz.

milky1980
    Free Member

Someone in Carphone WArehouse is possibly committing Credit Fraud and all you lot can take from it is that someone wants to pay £61 pcm for an IPhone on contract?

😯

Drac

We covered that in the first reply. By the power of conversation we moved on, welcome to the topic.

joat

And now Drac’s resurrected this thread.. There is no need to send picture messages nowadays if you have data allowance, WhatsApp seems to work with very little connectivity. Send a picture with a message attached very simply.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Was this illegal? (Carphone Warehouse content)’ is closed to new replies.