Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Warping tyres- is it just me…..?
  • lardman
    Free Member

Now, let me caveat this thread by drawing attention to my username. I’m a big ‘ol lump.

Tonight’s ride was curtailed early due to a rear tyre distorting and becoming permanently warped, bulged, wobbly. It’s not the first time either, more like the 4th in around 3 years.

I noticed the tyre pressure was quite low as soon as I started riding. Not low enough to make me stop and add air, but low enough I could feel a little squirmyness on corners. Of course, the first berm I hit at speed produced a wall of hiss and white spray. It also distorted the tyre so much that I had the ride slowly back while the tyre rubbed on the frame.

It’s a Maxxis shorty, but has happened to a Maxxis HR, and a Spech butcher too.

Never happened on ‘non-tubeless’ tyre/rim setups.
    Must I just ride slower, or with higher pressures?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I did it to a shorty and a purgatory. I run a slightly higher pressure these days and touch wood, it hasn’t happened since.

Used to run around 17 front 20 rear, up to 22 and 28 now, wee bit more on rear if racing enduro or lakes type rockiness.

lardman
    Free Member

Hmmm- so not just me then. I’m running low 20’s front and back normally. One of the main attraction of tubeless was, for me, lower pressures and better grip. I may try another brand as a ‘mud’ replacement for the Shortyy this time. See if that helps.

mboy
    Free Member

I’ve done it to a few tyres over the years, and though not as svelte as I used to be, I’m around 12 1/2st usually so not that big of a lump, and I run my pressures well into the 20’s normally, rear sometimes as much as 32psi.

I’ve managed to warranty tyres before, but it does depend on the manufacturer as to how helpful they will be. Maxxis in fairness, usually pretty helpful here.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shorty WT 2.5 seems more robust, I’ve not tried it, as I love my supergravity Mary’s up front these days.

survivor

I’ve done the odd one but only happened at low pressure. You gotta face the fact your bigger than internet or magazine people who go on about low pressures.

My weight comes from my height (ish :oops:) but I usually run 25/30 to be on the safe side. Maybe a bit lower if there’s no rock.

I’d rather them be a touch over inflated than walk home.

Stick more air in big fella. Job done

lardman
    Free Member

Yes, more pressure would be a solution. It would also take me checking pressures prior to running out the house in a blind hurry, to catch the last light. Most tubeless setups I’ve had need topping up at least every 6 weeks. Some rides just don’t catch the right end of that maintenance schedule.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

In reality it’ll be no different to what you do now. If you know what pressure you run them, you must need to check every 6 weeks or so anyway.

kiksy
    Free Member

Happened to me with a DHF WT, a friend with a Minion SS, and another friend with DHF.

I found it sorted itself out a little bit after a few weeks.

Not had it with other tyre brands.

garage-dweller

Lardman

I went through a phase of doing this.

If like me you are fairly weighty then 30psi in a non plus tubeless tyre still ought to give you better grip than you can get with tubes and less busted sidewalls.

Kahurangi

Not had it with other tyre brands.

round ‘ere it’s mostly Continentals that go pear shaped.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Warping tyres- is it just me…..?’ is closed to new replies.