Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • WARNING: Personalised numberplate content
  • swillybey
    Free Member

Ok, just to get it out of the way, I have a personalised plate.

Why? Because it was a present.

Now, I’m looking at buying a new (second hand) car from an independent dealership, and chopping in my car against it.

The car is a fair drive away, so the plan is to drive up in current car, buy new car and drive home in said new car.

I want to keep my plate, although not bothered if I drive the new car around on its current plates for a while.

How does it work with regards to swapping plates over? What numberplate goes back on the old car once my personalised ones have been taken off? Looks like I have to send the V5c away to the DVLA, assume this should be done after i’ve bought the new car?

I’ve never bought a car ‘on my own’ before.

Thanks!

MoreCashThanDash

Is it W1LLY ?

bearnecessities

Is this you? If so, you live in my village 🙂

swillybey
    Free Member

Both wrong, it’s actually PR1CK (last name is Pritchard, nickname Pritch) but don’t take the piss please.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Put it on retention until you decide to sell or keep your PR1CK

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

You can do it online. You need to get a reg for your current car before you transfer the plate over

bearnecessities

it’s actually PR1CK

Bravo, Sir 🙂

swillybey
    Free Member

Cool so is this something I can do while I’m at the dealership? I’m slightly worried that I put it on retention, drive up there and realise the new car is ****, then have to sort out getting new plates for my current car etc etc.

demonracer

When my we did the same last year mrs racer put her plate on retention and her old car had its original plates put back on ready for being sold.

PePPeR

Make sure the dealer does all the paperwork correctly otherwise it can get difficult!!

You just need to know both vehicles details, fill the V317 paperwork in and send the cheque off!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/409911/V317_211114.pdf

redthunder
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/F5LfsD]Redthumder Plate[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

craighill
    Free Member

Easiest way and what I would do, is put your private plate on retention, the original plate back on, then drive down to the dealer, do the deal and wait for your new v5 to arrive, then transfer the plate onto the new car. If the new car is toss and don’t do a deal, just find another car and keep your private plate on retention until you find one.

It can be done online now and is instant, rather than having to send off your v750 and v5 and then wait an age for Dvla to process if.

bearnecessities

You’re right, this is fun.

PePPeR

Craighill has a good point, they’ve reduced the price of retention to the same as transferring, so it could be easier and safer to do this!

jam-bo

No idea about the number plate but you’ve got to be from Plymouth with a username like that.

Dickyboy

it’s actually PR1CK

BO77OCKS

Saw a lambo* on the M1 today with U L05ERS on it which I found a step up on the usual

* it may have been some other supercar

swillybey
    Free Member

No idea about the number plate but you’ve got to be from Plymouth with a username like that.

Went to Plymouth uni, indeed 😀

Well thanks guys, some very helpful info!

redthunder
    Free Member

Blows kiss to “bearnecessities”

😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

It’s all changed, you can do retention instantly On-line now in 99% of cases, very painless & you’ll get a new V5 in a couple of days, but make sure your timing is right as a lot of dealers won’t take your car without the current V5c.

Cheers.

siwhite
    Free Member

It’s a very quick service – I removed a plate from a car I’m selling this week and the new V5 arrived this morning.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘WARNING: Personalised numberplate content’ is closed to new replies.