Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Warning: Boring gear cable outers question
  • TomHill
    Free Member

Bored of crappy shifting after 10mins wet riding, so going for full outers. Looking at either XTR or Gore. Are they much-of-a-muchness or is one noticably better than the other?

Any opinions welcomed before I toss a coin/go for the cheaper option, which seems to be XTR on CRC for £15

Hairychested
    Free Member

I prefer teflon coated inners with Bonty outers.

carlos
    Free Member

For me it’s full length standard inner and outer, cheaper and prob doesn’t last that much less, especially when you ride the Peak District in the wet.

Carl

nicko74

What kind of Gore are you looking at? I use the Gore Rideon fancypants ones (complete with outer and inner liners) and not had a problem yet with them. Well worth the money and time, I reckon.

radar
    Free Member

Try Flying Snakes. Better than XTR and considerably cheaper than Gore.

Full length inner housing, with sections of kevlar outer in all the right bits. Need a wee bit of thinking about when setting up but well worth the effort.

TomHill
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. It was the Gore Ride-Ons I was looking at. Just seen Flying Snakes on the CRC website. Not heard of them before… I’m tempted by the price.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

When I changed to Gore Ride Ons they were easy to fit and perform well, but I did have to drill out the cable stops to make them big enough to fit the outer cable through. Worth bearing in mind when fitting any full outer cable through "tradtional" cable stops.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

flying snakes are dead good, had em for ages and they have been great. not tried gore ones though (havent needed to swap!)

Dogsby

I bought the Goodridge cables from CRC and so far they have been excellent. I bought extra outer (2m) to make sure that I could run full length throughout. They are fine now but the test will be in 6 months time after a winter’s worth of riding.

Dogsby

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve used both. Gore are the business being fully sheathed, but if you get some crud or oil in there then it ruins them. It should be ok for a good couple of years though without touching them if you install them right.

XTR on the other hand do need maintenence but it’s really quite easy and they do work very well. The seals on the ferrules help keep the crud out.

james
    Free Member

Just use normal outer cable with normal end caps AND middleburn cable oilers, full lenght outer or using the frame stops
    Behind the O-ring is a hole the size of the red pipe that comes with WD40 spray cans. You use the WD40 to push out the crud and lubricate the cable.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3318
    (4mm is for gear cable, 5mm for brake cable)

If you cut the outer by the head tube in the right place, the O-ring keeps the gear cable off of the frame, so theres no cable rub

molgrips
    Free Member

Just use normal outer cable with normal end caps AND middleburn cable oilers, full lenght outer or using the frame stops

Sounds good but I’d still go for XTR sealed end caps as that’ll help keep the crud out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Warning: Boring gear cable outers question’ is closed to new replies.