Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • Walkers on footpaths
  • ElShalimo

@Cougar – nah, it’s an average photo of a cuttlefish in its winter roost😜

One benefit of more people using the outdoors might be that we get more trails due to the popularity.

Opposite effect around here. Too many drongos who don’t realise you can’t walk where you like or let you dog run where it likes. There are loads of new “private keep out” signs and barbed wire sealing a couple of tracks that aren’t rights of way where previously nobody really minded the odd walker.

Its a shame as all the rights of way around here are really clearly marked, so its people just being arses (or stupid).

Harry_the_Spider

People walking up the signposted red MTB trails in Philips Park is the new craze for 2021.

The local country park is rammed too so me and my lad go elsewhere at the moment.

Mackem

I had a walker with a dog yelling at me as they thought my light was too bright! I was on a road, in the mist, at 10 at night, in the middle of nowhere. They were on a path. Some people like getting annoyed.

TiRed

Personally, I don’t find it reasonable for pedestrians to walk cyclists to rise two or three abreast on what, as you say, are known cycle routes, roads

Oh the ironing.

as they thought my light was too bright!

I find a lot of modern cycle lights far too bright if I’m walking towards them. If your eyes have adjusted to the dark, it can be really painful. Strobing ones are even worse.

Where I live, motorists tend to dip their lights for walkers, some cyclists seem to just leave them pointing straight into your retina.

nickjb
    Free Member

I find modern cycle lights far too bright if I’m walking towards them. If your eyes have adjusted to the dark, it can be really painful. Strobing ones are even worse.

Where I live, motorists tend to dip their lights for walkers, cyclists seem to just leave them pointing straight into your retina.

+1

Are you sure your lights weren’t too bright?

Paul-B

A bell is the best thing I ever fitted to my bike.

People with dogs off the lead in inappropriate places is the thing that p*sses me off the most. Like the family that were letting their dogs run free round a field of grazing horses…

Easy to get all bent out of shape about it but it’s rarely worth getting over excited. Had a chat with a young lad on a bike who came ripping past me as I slowed down for a family walking down a track. They had to jump out the way to let him through.
    Easy to start giving the kid a b*ll*cking but instead it’s best to empathise a bit so went with ‘I know it’s annoying with all these people everywhere but…’

surfer
    Free Member

Where I live, motorists tend to dip their lights for walkers, some cyclists seem to just leave them pointing straight into your retina.

Agree there does seem to be an unnecessary Lumen “war” amongst cyclists on some of the paths I walk and run which is wildly OTT. I dont agree about cars however I actually find more often drivers put there full beam on when they see a walker and heaven forbid you are crossing the road you are likely to get a full death beam. Increasing driver aggression and entitlement I suppose.

nickc

You don’t have a “right” not to be in the path of oncoming traffic that uses a light. How about “don’t stare at it?”

we live in crowded island that has lots of folk jammed into certain parts of it, To misquote Mick Dundee, “it must be the friendliest place on earth” there was a study that suggested even faking smiling and pretending to be happy produced the same results as actually being happy. My life is stressful enough at work right now without getting into confrontations with folk outside as well. Whenever I chance upon these grumpy folk I am determinedly polite and happy, it is both a weapon and a shield.

surfer
    Free Member

There are loads of new “private keep out” signs and barbed wire sealing a couple of tracks that aren’t rights of way where previously nobody really minded the odd walker.

This. I wrote about this on another thread at the start of lockdown. Private land near me I (and a small number of like minded people) walked around this area for the last 20+ yrs. I ran here and even (sensitively) marked out distances for my reps, right up to a mile (it is a very large area) when lockdown happened it was “discovered” so of course cars across the footpaths that criss cross it, dog shit and bags everywhere as well as litter and fence damage. Now the sections I ran on are blocked with Barbwire. People ruin everything.

supernova

Using a timber bell that you can set off jingling 100m behind walkers is an absolute godsend in the FofD these crowded days. People seem to enjoy its happy tune. The only ones who freak are horse riders who are the most entitled group on the trails by far. You can never go slow or wide enough for most riders apparently. I think it’s because I always forget to doff my cap as they pass.

chakaping
    Free Member

I had a freaky experience on the road after Oven Bottom in Macc Forest.

You should have posted this in the “weird things on rides” thread.

Even if there weren’t any dildos involved.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t have a “right” not to be in the path of oncoming traffic that uses a light. How about “don’t stare at it?”

Have you never been driving or riding in the opposite direction to some 3,000-lumen-hero riding his MTB on the road with the light undipped (and usually additional flashing bits as well)?

It can be genuinely scary and totally impossible to ignore.

surfer
    Free Member

The only ones who freak are horse riders who are the most entitled group on the trails by far. You can never go slow or wide enough for most riders apparently. I think it’s because I always forget to doff my cap as they pass.

Well horses are a special case. I assume you dont ring a bell when you come up behind them? Love them or hate them I always start chatting to them and the rider as soon as they are close enough to hear then carry on chatting passing at fast walking pace unless they suggest different. They are never much bother but getting that wrong risks serious injury to them and the horse.

A mile from me a horse was killed and one seriously injured last week and the 2 young riders injured by a driver who refused to slow for them, was aggressive and passed too close.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Easy to start giving the kid a b*ll*cking but instead it’s best to empathise a bit so went with ‘I know it’s annoying with all these people everywhere but…’

Devil’s advocate: What if the kid is a learner driver, and you as an older driver wish to empathise with him/encourage him to believe that cyclists are ‘annoying’ – especially when they have to jump onto the verge to ‘let you through’?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Have you never been driving or riding in the opposite direction to some 3,000-lumen-hero riding his MTB on the road with the light undipped (and usually additional flashing bits as well)?

It can be genuinely scary and totally impossible to ignore.

Yup, pretty much every time I cycle to work on dark winter mornings, the amount of idiots that have lights directed straight ahead of them is a bloody nightmare, and pretty much impossible to look at anything else on a 2m wide track.

‘Dip yer f’in light’ has been used on many occasions.

Harry_the_Spider

I have to say though that in the 200+km that my and my lad have covered in January there hasn’t been any grumpiness. I friendly “Hi, can we just squeeze past?” accompanied by a “thank you” and a smile is all it takes round our way with walkers, cyclists and horse riders.

The only issue has been with MXers ripping the place up and the police tweeted over the weekend that they had apprehended a bunch of them loading up there (untaxed) van on Sunday in a local park, so next weekend should be even better behaved.

rhinofive

ElShalimo

@Cougar
    – nah, it’s an average photo of a cuttlefish in its winter roost😜

well now David Attenborough has shown us what Cuttlefish get up to given half a chance I expect you’ll soon attract the attention of the dogging & dildo brigade

Cougar

I actually find more often drivers put there full beam on when they see a walker and heaven forbid you are crossing the road you are likely to get a full death beam. Increasing driver aggression and entitlement I suppose.

Nah, I can tell you why this is. It’s because your walkers here are milling around in the pitch dark wearing black pants and a black hoodie and are about as visible as Hotblack Desiato’s limoship. A couple of seconds’ main beam to answer the question “is that people up ahead?” is preferable to ploughing through them like skittles.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I found the best thing to do is to bell them from afar. They look around and notice you, but because you’re quite far away they don’t think you’re ringing your bell at them.  This doesn’t work for people with headphones in of course. Best thing to do here is buzz them really fast and close whilst delivering a hefty slap to the back of the head.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The only issue has been with MXers ripping the place up and the police tweeted over the weekend that they had apprehended a bunch of them loading up there (untaxed) van on Sunday in a local park, so next weekend should be even better behaved.

The police need to head up to Watergrove must have been 20 out on Sunday

dissonance

I had a walker with a dog yelling at me as they thought my light was too bright!

As others have said depends on both the brightness and also the angle of the light.
    It is a bit of a problem as lights have got better with people not actually having them pointed towards the ground and hence blinding you half a mile away. I dont use my lights on full power if some poor sod is likely to come the other way since it isnt pleasant.

Everywhere does still seem a lot busier which wont be doing the trails any good (havent done much offroad in last few months due to how wet the ground has been) but mostly okay in terms of people.
    The one problem for me is dogs not on a lead running amok. Its okay if they are on the path and so can be watched but have had a couple of close calls when they have been playing in the bushes and then run back out right in front.

surfer
    Free Member

Nah, I can tell you why this is. It’s because your walkers here are milling around in the pitch dark wearing black pants and a black hoodie and are about as visible as Hotblack Desiato’s limoship. A couple of seconds’ main beam to answer the question “is that people up ahead?” is preferable to ploughing through them like skittles.

Even when you are on the pavement and they are on the road? Nice story tho Bro.

p7eaven
    Free Member

as lights have got better more blinding

Lights have become daft bright, much cheaper, and with less a lot focus on the beam pettern

the amount of idiots that have lights directed straight ahead of them is a bloody nightmare,

I did a lvel street-test with a Cree light (no cutoff beam) typical of 99% of the lights sold to cyclists on the UK market and in order not to momentarily blind/retina burn someone 15 metres ahead of me away I needed to point the light at the road just in front of my front wheel. Bag of shite lights. Many of these types of round-beamed dazzling lights are reviewed well on road cc. It’s madness.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

The dazzling lights is a big problem on the TPT and Bridewater canal towpath.

I’d say the vast majority of cyclist simply have either no awareness that they are dazzling oncomers, or they don’t care.

Many times, I’ve dipped and/or dimmed my lights only for the oncoming cyclist to fail to reciprocate. It’s like they are brain-dead or something. Some are so bright I have to stop.

I occasionally get walkers moan at me. Problem is when it’s very dark and if they have no reflective gear, it’s not easy to see them until they are close enough to be dazzled. Matt clothing on a matt background isn’t easy to pick out.

surfer
    Free Member

“Some are so bright I have to stop”

This happens occasionally with cyclists but more frequently with motorists. If you are running along a pavement and a friendly driver has somehow spotted a moving figure (albeit on the pavement) a million lumens directly at you stops you in your tracks as you cant see in front and also means you have to wait until your eyesight recovers before carrying on.

Cougar

Even when you are on the pavement and they are on the road? Nice story tho Bro.

Some vague shadow of movement up ahead that may or may not be people who may or may not be on the pavement? It’d absolutely want to check to be sure, yes.

Point is, people don’t realise how difficult to see they are.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’d say the vast majority of cyclist simply have either no awareness that they are dazzling oncomers, or they don’t care.

I’ve mentioned this to two different people, who I’d consider to be intelligent and considerate people, with big exposure/hope things, not chinese junk. Just mentioned in passing – not a “turn your light down” instruction – both said they used it at full whack on the road to avoid being run over…

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

I was more referring to use on bridleways/towpaths, trails, etc.

inkster
    Free Member

“Even when you are on the pavement and they are on the road? Nice story tho Bro”

Yes, the problem with super bright lights is that if you’re a pedestrian and catch a bright cycle light out of the corner of your eye you think its a motorcycle or car light that’s far away. You then go to cross the road a find out its a bicycle coming straight at you at 20 mph. A one inch wide super bright cycle light at 10 metres has roughly the same brightness and appearance scale wise as a 6 inch car or motorbike light 100 metres away.

It’s that Father Ted: – “these ones are closer, those are further away” sort of thing.

IdleJon

Yes, the problem with super bright lights is that if you’re a pedestrian and catch a bright cycle light out of the corner of your eye you think its a motorcycle or car light that’s far away. You then go to cross the road a find out its a bicycle coming straight at you at 20 mph. A one inch wide super bright cycle light at 10 metres has roughly the same brightness and appearance scale wise as a 6 inch car or motorbike light 100 metres away.

If you step into the road without knowing what’s approaching, or how far away it is, then you probably shouldn’t be outside.

I had a walker do this, who claimed that she hadn’t seen my light, and then that it was too bright and dazzled her. It’s one or the other…

mattyfez

I had a walker do this, who claimed that she hadn’t seen my light, and then that it was too bright and dazzled her. It’s one or the other…

Some people are just dicks, but a lot of bike lights are too bright for general use, and are very dazzling unless you tilt them down when approaching people, mine included. But as you say, then you get people saynig, @ didnt see them, they didnt have lights, or the lights were too dim to notice’.

It can be really bad on a pitch plack tow path when you are cycling toward someone with a light the power of 7 suns aimed straight forward as it gives you night blindness even if you look away.

petec
    Free Member

If you step into the road without knowing what’s approaching

I had this a couple of weeks ago; a couple, aged 60ish, going the same way as me, just walked into the road right when I was coming past. They didn’t look behind them at all. No reason – the footway was still there

Didn’t have time to ring my bell. But could faintly hear the chap say ‘Yet another one not ringing his bell’

Almost stopped and said something. But it wouldn’t be worth it. So I just rang my bell loudly and tutted to myself.

Sonor
    Free Member

You get that in Richmond park, when the commute is in full swing. Granted, that they need their lights full on in the traffic choked streets of London, but the park has no street lighting and no cars after dark, so you are faced with an oncoming stream of retina burning lumens which you just can’t see beyond. Ok, there are deer who come to feed on the grass at the verges after dark, but unless you are trying to break the sound barrier, you can see them in time without using a football stadiums lighting system to see them.

One of the other problems at the moment with not being able to see beyond the lights is that there are a lot more people in the park after dark walking on the roads…in dark clothing. And Badgers.

Well horses are a special case. I assume you don’t ring a bell when you come up behind them? Love them or hate them I always start chatting to them and the rider as soon as they are close enough to hear then carry on chatting passing at fast walking pace unless they suggest different. They are never much bother but getting that wrong risks serious injury to them and the horse.

I think in my neck of the woods, being busy even before the lockdown, I think most users have got used to each other, so the majority of cyclists know what to do when dealing with horses, the only small issue is the rise of the gravel bikers who if in a group, still ride in peloton’s on the wide paths, and really don’t want to slow down for Horses.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

Yeah, I startled a horse once by ringing my bell. It was a small horse with a kid on it. The mum had it’s reigns so it only bolted a few steps before settling down. I felt terrible about it but she was fine about it.

inkster
    Free Member

IdleJon,

You didn’t read my post properly did you, either that or you haven’t seen the relevant Father Ted episode.

Pedestrians look to cross the road, see a super bright light and calculate that it must be a car or motorcycle some distance away. They make this calculation based on the millions of times they’ve safety crossed the road before without incident.

You belting along with your mega lumen light are an outlier and thus easily mistaken for a car or motorcycle.

I daresay motorists can be confused by super bright bike lights as well. Owing to the difficulty in judging distance I think powerful bike lights on the road make it more likely that you’ll be knocked off.

The best option is two traditional lights, one on strobe, one on constant. The strobe attracts attention but is very poor for judging distance (and that’s a fact) whilst the constant beam is best for others to judge how far away you are (another optical fact).

It has the added bonus of not blinding other people as well.

funkmasterp

After reading all of this I think I’m going to start cycling with a lance cable tied to my handlebars. Simply poke people out of the way before they have chance to be dickheads. Is there a joustingtrackworld out there where I can get advice on a handmade lance and pauldron?

ElShalimo

Or just forget you read this thread and be nice to the people that you encounter

None of this is difficult…see Rule No.1

🤦‍♂️

northernsoul

The greatest issue I come across is with people using super bright head torches – ok in the right place (off road, little or no chance of encountering anyone), antisocial everywhere else. As for horses, I’ve always found riders to be very courteous.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Walkers on footpaths’ is closed to new replies.