• This topic has 282 replies, 91 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 283 total)
  • VW Golf R…………estate!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I thought you didn’t get annoyed?

No, I do – I just deal with it, rather than going mental and risking it all to get by whilst not caring who else I piss off.

ourmaninthenorth

@ mountainmutant – did you spend all your money on your car and had to settle for living on a housing estate? The shame of it! 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips
    No, I do – I just deal with it, rather than going mental and risking it all to get by whilst not caring who else I piss off.

So you don’t go mental. I’m guessing you have performed an overtaking manoeuvre at least once in your life? Have you ever over taken two cars at once?

Do you think that your ability to overtake without risking all, going mental and pissing everyone else off is a skill that’s is unique and special to you, or do you imagine it’s possible someone else might posses similar judgement?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah of course – why do you ask such a stupid question?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Ourmaninthenorth

I live in that London in a nice period house thanks. You can’t choose where you break down.

All the warning lights came on whilst going over the Dartford bridge crossing going into Kent. Went into limp mode and finally battery power went in Maidstone on those handy double yellows 😀

MM

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Yeah of course – why do you ask such a stupid question?

Because I’m wondering where the line exists between a paragon of driving excellence safely overtaking two cars at once and a “nutter” over taking five cars endangering lives, risking it all, pissing people off and killing imaginary children.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I think I could do 7…

Edukator
    Free Member

It was the five cars behind the tractor case where experience says it’s almost impossible to do safely unless you’re telepathic and capable of reading at least seven minds simultaneously.

molgrips
    Free Member

Because I’m wondering where the line exists between a paragon of driving excellence safely overtaking two cars at once and a “nutter” over taking five cars endangering lives, risking it all, pissing people off and killing imaginary children.

Should be obvious.

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips
    Should be obvious.

It’s 3.5 isn’t it?

ourmaninthenorth

@ mountainmutant – was pulling yer leg, hence the 😉

At least you knew you weren’t going to be car jacked while you waited for the breakdown truck!

tinybits
    Free Member

Brilliant, it’s turned into a molgrips overtaking thread.

Please form an orderly queue!

waihiboy
    Free Member

its always baffled me why people spend sh*t loads on a fast car, surely it would be more fun to have a boring car for day to day use that can tow a trailer.

then…. spend your cash on a track day car, where you can really speed!

well thats may plan in a few years anyway.

legend
    Free Member

sssshhhhh most people (luckily I’ve just popped this cherry) are actually a bit scared to go on track!

michaelbowden

Brilliant, it’s turned into a molgrips overtaking thread.
    Please form an orderly queue!

I like driving and overtaking, I’ve even been known to ‘make progress’ and my car has 4 tail pipes.

Signed

Evil child killer of Surrey.

jimjam
    Free Member

waihiboy
    its always baffled me why people spend sh*t loads on a fast car,

You don’t necessarily need to spend shit loads, but if you can afford a fast car why not have instead of some soul destroying horrible piece of shit. People spend a lot of time in their cars, might as well be a nice place to be.

surely it would be more fun to have a boring car for day to day use that can tow a trailer.

then…. spend your cash on a track day car, where you can really speed!

That’s a good question. I think my mountain bike is my track day car. For want of a more crude analogy. Even if I could afford a car just for the track the time and money taken to prep, transport and maintain it would eat into my mtb time too much.

The other thing to consider is first off, the appeal of a track day isn’t to speed with impunity, it’s to explore the limits of your car somewhere safer. And if you want to you can take pretty much any car. So if you don’t mind abusing it, your silly expensive daily driver can also be your track day car.

molgrips
    Free Member

You are talking about dead children as if it never happens.

Like this poor kid:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/father-jailed-thoroughly-avoidable-tragedy-2047733

tinybits
    Free Member

Well that’s not really due to speed, that’s due to driving like a ****. Shocking behaviour although I suspect that no punishment is close to how he feels day to day.

Troll mode/ he was in a Citroen Saco, max 120bhp. With 300bhp+, he wouldn’t have ‘run out of road’ and would have completed the manoeuvre without the tragic consequences. Therefore a faster car would have been safer. /troll mode

molgrips
    Free Member

Well people on here were talking about multiple overtakes.

But it’s all driving like a ****, and it kills kids all the time. So all this mocking ‘what about a child’s face’ stuff is in pretty **** poor taste.

Next time you want to ‘make progress’ in your stupidly fast car, take a moment and think about it. I’m outta this one.

tinybits
    Free Member

Ah, I edited my post while you were posting

jimjam
    Free Member

Fatality not involving stupidly fast car fails to make point that stupidly fast cars kill children.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I think I’d actually prefer roads full of people in fast cars concentrating on what they’re doing (if a little quicker than some would deem safe), in a cars that they look after and give a shit about.

paulwf

The guy that killed his son had previously been jailed for dangerous driving and had 3 drink driving convictions.
    People like that should be banned for life

njee20
    Free Member

I think I’d actually prefer roads full of people in fast cars concentrating on what they’re doing (if a little quicker than some would deem safe), in a cars that they look after and give a shit about.

Big assumption.

R8 with worn tyre involved in fatal crash. Could’ve been a contributory factor, could not, but you assume if you’re buying an £80k car you keep an eye on your tyres.

The Porsche that killed Paul Walker was on 15+ year old tyres too.

Concentrating doesn’t make you immune from crashes!

Anyway, didn’t really want to get involved in the petty bickering from the driving gods on here! I think the Golf R hatchback is lovely, the estate is **** hideous, I maintain that neither are the ‘perfect’ combination of performance and cost though.

wilburt
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a study recently that said the new wave of golfers cyclist were Jeremy Clarkson wannabes.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Of course it’s a big assumption, you’ll get idiots in all walks of life and types of cars.

Concentrating doesn’t make you immune from crashing but its at least a step in the right direction.

Back to the original Golf, ticks a lot of boxes but not all for me I’m afraid. Too modern, not enough cylinders, needs proper 4wd or rwd and isn’t Italian.

ps. Clarkson is a bellend and I’ve been cycling far longer than I’ve been driving and thats long enough.

jimjam
    Free Member

njee20

The Porsche that killed Paul Walker was on 15+ year old tyres too.

Have you seen his car collection? He had several warehouses full of cars. It’s not hard to imagine how something like changing the tyres on one of them might have slipped through the cracks. Combined with the fact it was his friend driving, and the common consensus that the GT is a total animal to drive and you can see an accident waiting to happen.

mboy
    Free Member

I think I could do 7…

If we’re willy waving, I’ve done 10… And a Tractor… On my Road Bike (as in you pedal it, it has no engine!)… Assisted by gravity I will concede, but I came up behind a line of traffic doing 20-25mph behind a tractor, on a clear straight piece of road, I was already doing 40+mph, there was nothing coming the other way, and none of the cars had the visibility past the tractor that I had (It was towing a huge trailer covered in hay bales) as I was coming from a long way further back and could see the road was clear.

My point? I don’t know… I guess it’s that you don’t need 300bhp and 4WD to overtake some traffic maybe! Good road position and careful forward planning means that you should be able to make good progress in most any modern car.

As for TAFKASTR calling me dull last night, each to their own. I more than understand the appeal of fast cars, and still covet owning some of them, but I just don’t see the need or appeal for general road use. The roads are so heavily policed, and full of traffic, it’s difficult to enjoy driving anything with a modicum of performance these days, so going back to basics brings a level of enjoyment back to driving IMO.

Fast as some of the cars posted on this thread so far are, anyone (like me) who’s ridden some seriously quick bikes will understand where I’m coming from too. A 300bhp 4wd car just doesn’t light many fires inside I’m afraid! I’d much rather get my jollies on a mountain bike these days… Though the guy who runs the Motorbike shop next door to me keeps offering me the keys to his Ducati 1098R with full Termi system and a remap… He’s also just taken in an Aprilia RSV4 Factory as a Part Ex too, and went to throw me the keys the other day! I can’t say I wasn’t sorely tempted, but also I know that I’d probably lose my license before I even reached “fun” speeds on either bike… 😕

mboy
    Free Member

I think the Golf R hatchback is lovely, the estate is **** hideous, I maintain that neither are the ‘perfect’ combination of performance and cost though.

I’ll concede it’s a good looking hatchback, and the estate just looks really bloody awkward!

richmtb

The roads are so heavily policed, and full of traffic, it’s difficult to enjoy driving anything with a modicum of performance these days,

I know sometimes I don’t know how I cope with it all

jimjam
    Free Member

I know sometimes I don’t know how I cope with it all

Think of the children.

rebel12
    Free Member

Fast cars are not essential, but if you can afford one then hell, why not. Maybe the reason why so many on here don’t like driving and see it as just getting from A to B is that they drive a bland, lifeless, inert Eurobox. I can understand why you’d not enjoy driving and would become pretty negative if that was the case.

For people who drive ordinary cars, then there’s no appreciation how much more better a fast car which handles well really is. The difference in performance can be mindblowing and opens up a whole new load of options. Still, greater power does require greater responsibility.

Yet a 300bhp + car can easily be used to it’s full potential in many situations on the road these days. I’m not talking about ragging a car around at 100% and beyond (although if you’ve ever done this as a teenager and suffered an accident as a consequence it does teach you a lot about driving and the limits of vehicle performance). I mean that it’s perfectly possible to use 100% of the power in many driving situations, or sometimes 80%, knowing you have a further 20% to get you out of trouble if required.

I guess that’s why when I do a 5 car overtake on a clear road I occasionally get flashed aggressively. To the other drivers eyes (judging from their own experience in their own car) it probably looks dangerous, but for me, having 2-3 times the power of their cars, the overtake and margin for error left in reserve makes it 100% safe.

thered

Richmtb – That is a dull looking piece of road, where are the corners?

OP – Sorry dude, the estate is gopping.

Euro
    Free Member

Fast as some of the cars posted on this thread so far are, anyone (like me) who’s ridden some seriously quick bikes will understand where I’m coming from too. A 300bhp 4wd car just doesn’t light many fires inside I’m afraid!

I used to think like that until i was a passenger in a mates WRX Scooby round some twisty country roads 😯 . Just as thrilling as riding a motorbike (although i think part of the thrill was the fear of not actually driving).

Fret not nee-nah nee-nahs as he is a very good (safe) driver.

njee20
    Free Member

Have you seen his car collection? He had several warehouses full of cars. It’s not hard to imagine how something like changing the tyres on one of them might have slipped through the cracks. Combined with the fact it was his friend driving, and the common consensus that the GT is a total animal to drive and you can see an accident waiting to happen.

1) it wasn’t his car
    2) do you end up less dead if crashes happen because one of your many performance cars suffers a component failure, as opposed it being your sole car? 😕

Totally agree re: the Porsche tyres ‘slipping through the net’, but that just reinforces my point. The point made was that it’s better to have people who look after their performance cars on the road, I’m just pointing out that because people have a fast car doesn’t mean they take better care of it and are therefore automatically ‘better’ to have on the roads. If someone is letting their tyres get to illegal tread depths I’d sooner they were in a 1 litre Micra than an R8…

And yes, Richmtb’s road looks very dull indeed.

Edukator
    Free Member

Dear me, rebel. One day one of those five cars you’re overtaking will pull out to overtake. Or someone will come the other way “pressing on” like you. Or when you try to pull back into the gaps between the cars you’re overtaking one of the drivers will do the unexpected such as brake to let you in as you brake to pull in behind. Or a tractor will pull out of a field and the driver will only look left. So many things to go wrong that if you do it long enough something will go wrong.

Objectively faster cars don’t open up options because if you drive them a tiny bit faster you have significantly reduced your options. The real difference in performance is tiny. A 2l Ford Mondeo will out brake just about every Lotus ever built. The “fantastic handling” is a lot more dangerous than a bland, lifeless, inert Eurobox as any insurance company will tell you.

I could buy any car on this thread but trundle around in a bland, lifeless, inert one. If ever I feel the urge to experience anything else again I’ll rent something at a track or in a forest where I’m the only one who’s going to get hurt if I mess up.

jimjam
    Free Member

njee20

1) it wasn’t his car

Apparently he and Rodas shared the same storage space for their many cars. There’s a video somewhere.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U189SwhPXKI[/video]

moshimonster
    Free Member

Maybe the reason why so many on here don’t like driving and see it as just getting from A to B is that they drive a bland, lifeless, inert Eurobox.

Back to the car in question, this is exactly what it is though – even the engine is a pretty bland 4 pot turbo. I do absolutely see the attraction of a high powered sportscar, but I’ve never been a big fan of mixing family wagons with 300+ hp sportscars. They usually end up being quick in a straight line, but just as dull handling as the base car they came from and nearly always worse riding. VAG in particular has a long history of churning out such cars. Big power, but shit steering, shit brakes, shit ride quality, bland handling. Is this Golf going to be any different? I doubt it.

LoCo
    Free Member

Vw v Audi fast estates.

130bhp Passat estate is quite quick enough for me, if wanted a small 4wd estate think a tdi skoda scout would be a better option than the golf R as less likely to take the bumper off in a bumpy field 😉

moshimonster
    Free Member

Dear me, rebel. One day one of those five cars you’re overtaking will pull out to overtake. Or someone will come the other way “pressing on” like you. Or when you try to pull back into the gaps between the cars you’re overtaking one of the drivers will do the unexpected such as brake to let you in as you brake to pull in behind. Or a tractor will pull out of a field and the driver will only look left. So many things to go wrong that if you do it long enough something will go wrong.

I agree with this. You really do have to reign yourself in when driving really high performance cars. It’s so tempting to overtake simply because you can, but the risks can be high. My days of 5 car overtakes are over for sure. I’ll do one at a time, perhaps 2 if I really know the road well. Any more than that could easily be my last.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 283 total)

The topic ‘VW Golf R…………estate!’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM