Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Voting – is it purely about what's in your own interests
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Following this thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-want-to-buy-a-house-who-should-i-vote-for

I wondered who votes thinking purely about what’s best for them, or what’s best for the country, poor people etc?

wombat

what’s best for the country, poor people etc

This for me.

scotroutes

This for me.[/quote]And for me. I think there’s also an element of wanting what is “best” for your children (if you have any). I tend to think that I’m past the stage of caring about what happens to me and concentrate more on my daughters future.

D0NK

Watched the bbc nate silver thing last week, saw a guy being asked about voting say “I used to be a student so I voted labour, now I have my own business so I vote tory”
    Kinda depressed me.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s easier to vote in the interests of others if you’re quite comfortable yourself.

munrobiker
    Free Member

what’s best for the country, poor people etc

Same for me. I’ve not used the welfare state, nor do I intend to unless I have to, but it’s important to me that it exists.

I do let a party’s immigration policy sway me quite heavily though, which is a personal interest. But while I’ll never vote for UKIP because of their immigration policy alone I’ll never vote for the Conservatives because of their immigration policy and how they treat the poor and the welfare state.

ninfan
    Free Member

Game theory innit

Voting for a good welfare state/nhs/societal issues is ultimately done for selfish reasons, as it creates an environment where you feel safe & supported, don’t worry about cost of health, crime etc.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What’s best for society.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I should vote Tory.

I’ll wind up voting Green. And then get depressed about it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was brought up in a reasonably political environment, I remember how shocked I was the day I discovered that some people actually voted for who they thought was best for them personally, rather than what was best for the country. The thought had never occurred to me.

footflaps

or what’s best for the country, poor people etc?

That’s my reasoning. Given IDS’ persecution of the poor and disabled, I could never vote for the Tories as I find them morally repugnant.

nemesis
    Free Member

I should vote Tory.

I’ll wind up voting Green.

+1

I remember how shocked I was the day I discovered that some people actually voted for who they thought was best for them personally, rather than what was best for the country

I thought that people did vote for what was best for them (83 election, I was about 8 or 9), a bit like you’d pick your mates in football, until my Dad set me straight (he voted Green IIRC). I remember being quite surprised. We weren’t a political family though so I guess I was probably fairly naive about politics at that time.

dragon
    Free Member

or what’s best for the country

What does that really mean though?

footflaps

I discovered that some people actually voted for who they thought was best for them personally,

To be fair to those who did / do, that was Thatcher’s main message to society for the beat part of 15 years. “F*** everyone else, just worry about how much cash you have.”

What does that really mean though?

The common good?

I see it as helping the largest number of people with more emphasis on those who have least. If my taxes go up to pay for that, then I’m fine with that.

mudshark
    Free Member

What’s best for the country is what’s best for me.

Yak

Tried to explain this to my 7 year old son yesterday (voting for the best for the country). I think he got it. However, if he asks my MiL he’ll find out the meaning of voting for your own interests only… 🙄

fin25
    Free Member

Simple demographics, political parties and the media split us all down into groups, then sell us things based on what group they think we fit into. Most manifestos now seem built around the idea that people vote based on self-interest, which is then reinforced by media, who constantly focus on what it all means for YOU.
    It would appear that our rulers are big believers in game theory.

cynic-al
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Game theory innit

Voting for a good welfare state/nhs/societal issues is ultimately done for selfish reasons, as it creates an environment where you feel safe & supported, don’t worry about cost of health, crime etc.

Not at all – middle classes don’t need to worry as much about crime as they live in decent areas and also get decent education, etc etc

wombat

footflaps – Member

I see it as helping the largest number of people with more emphasis on those who have least. If my taxes go up to pay for that, then I’m fine with that.

This +1

ninfan
    Free Member

The same middle classes that vote for immigration policies that give them cheap polish nannies and builders?

Or the working classes that vote for UKIP because immigration represses their wages?

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’m probly best off in the short term with the Tories in agen – I will, however, be voting Green. And not regretting it 🙂

In my mind Tories/UKIP & to a lesser extent Labour stand to serve: Me (selfish), Us (insular), Them (xenophobic) and Green stand for: Us (inclusive)

footflaps

The same middle classes that vote for immigration policies that give them cheap polish nannies and builders?

You mean Harold Wilson’s referendum in 1975?

nickc

Same as Ernie.

It continues to surprise me that people still vote for parties that have no interest in the country as a whole, but merely a teeny subset of it, and on the back of a ‘dream’ sold to them that they can earn a place amongst that teeny subset (if only they wok hard enough, etc etc).

footflaps

It continues to surprise me that people still vote for parties that have no interest in the country as a whole, but merely a teeny subset of it, and on the back of a ‘dream’ sold to them that they can earn a place amongst that teeny subset (if only they wok hard enough, etc etc).

That’s been the thinking in the US for the last 50 years and look how well it’s worked out there!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That’s been the thinking in the US for the last 50 years and look how well it’s worked out there!

“ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country”[/i]

John F Kennedy 1961

binners

Theres a word for people who vote purely for themselves, and their own narrow selfish interests, which generally involves wanting more money, and shiny things for ME, ME, ME!!!!

They’re called Tories. According to the polls they depressingly represent about 30+% of the population

Rockape63
    Free Member

That’s my reasoning. Given IDS’ persecution of the poor and disabled, I could never vote for the Tories as I find them morally repugnant.

I’m sure IDS has not set out to persecute the poor and disabled. Does anyone think that the welfare state had not got out of control and certain people were using it as a crutch? Why should these people be allowed to get away with that?

The problem seems to have been that certain overzealous Inspectors have disbelieved honest claiments which is going to happen occasionally given the numbers involved. Your statement is a complete distortion of the facts…IMHO!

soobalias
    Free Member

http://blog.cat.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/CAT-Manifestometer-A3.pdf

Climate policies.
    with thanks to the Centre for Alternative Technology.

Rockape63
    Free Member

They’re called Tories. According to the polls they depressingly represent about 30+% of the population

Thats Bollox Binners and you know it! There are always extremes, but all the Tories I know and associate with are hard working people who pay their taxes and look after their families.

bigblackshed

Guess the politician:

“We are not here in this world to find elegant solutions, pregnant with initiative, or to serve the ways and modes of profitable progress. No, we are here to provide for all those who are weaker and hungrier, more battered and crippled than ourselves. That is our only certain good and great purpose on earth, and if you ask me about those insoluble economic problems that may arise if the top is deprived of their initiative, I would answer ‘To hell with them.’ The top is greedy and mean and will always find a way to take care of themselves. They always do.”

slowoldman

Well I reckon what’s good for me is probably good for 90-95% of the population.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

The general concensus seems to be the eradication of poverty

Lets all just volunteer to pay more tax

We need to reward hardworking families

What shall we do with lazy families ?

craigxxl
    Free Member

A bit of both. I see where the country needs to be heading at the same time I want to see everyone sharing a responsibility in getting it there.
    No party is able do this alone so I don’t blindly vote for any particular one.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m sure IDS has not set out to persecute the poor and disabled.

It is extremely important for the Tories to demonize the poor and the disabled, in the nicest possible way of course.

It is precisely by demonizing those who depended on welfare to make ends meet, and cast them as undeserving, that the Tories are most likely able to slash the welfare bill and minimize taxation for the wealthy elite, non doms, tax dodgers, etc., while redirecting money to for example Trident replacement.

They would have some explaining to do if they freely admitted that those on low wages and with disabilities deserved greater help while at the same time they slashed the welfare bill.

hatter

Ironically amongst all talk of the nice middle class socially aware tyres on here that will be voting Green next week we’ve missed by far the biggest voting against own interests block.

The average age of the a UKIP voter is 62.

Judging by UKIP’s plans for the NHS, pensioners voting for UKIP = Turkeys voting for Christmas.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

so I don’t blindly vote for any particular one

I thing this is key. Some people will vote for a party no matter what they planned to do. Labour or Tory burned into their souls.

My dad is in a right mess. He was a true leftie; shop steward, picketed at Wapping; yet he can’t face voting Labout after what they did when they got in last time.

But he can’t face voting Tory/UKIP/Green; it’s against his programming.

What can he do?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Guess the politician

I did actually. The bit which always sticks in my head is : “The top is greedy and mean and will always find a way to take care of themselves”.

It’s so true and yet you would be surprised how many worry people about the plight of the super rich elite.

Sandwich

Or the working classes that vote for UKIP because immigration represses their wages?

A big fat Bullshit from me as a zero hours contracted individual earning less than 20k.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My dad is in a right mess. He was a true leftie; shop steward, picketed at Wapping

Am I your father?

dazh

I’m lucky enough to have a fairly decent job, house, and relatively comfortable life so it makes little difference to me personally which party is in power. For the people at the bottom though it makes a massive, life-changing difference so I’ll be voting for them not myself.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Voting – is it purely about what's in your own interests’ is closed to new replies.