• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Voice control on iPhone. How to totally kill it.
  • epicyclo

I have an iPhone 4S, and it will probably be time for an upgrade soon.

I absolutely hate the voice control. At least once a day the button will get knocked in my pocket and then it will often try to dial someone at random. By the time I get it out of my pocket some poor sod in Australia or elsewhere has been woken up by a missed call. At least I’ve learned to curb the “Aw ****!” because that used to get me the same victim most times.

Is there any way to absolutely kill off the voice control? I do not want that feature, especially involuntary.

I’m not buying the iPhone 6 if this travesty of programming cannot be eliminated.

DezB
    Free Member

Have you thought of asking it? “Hi Siri! Can you switch yourself off?” 🙂

(Or if you prefer the manual option – Settings > General > Siri )

epicyclo

Cannot find Siri in General.

I would have turned Siri off right at the beginning if I had seen it. I’m not interested in talking to computers.

GrahamS

What iOS version epicyclo?
    It’s here on my 4S running iOS8.1.1:

GrahamS

By the way if you only want to turn of Siri (or Voice Dial) when the phone is locked in your pocket, but still use it when unlocked, then look in Settings->Passcode Lock.

DezB
    Free Member

What, like Settings > General > Siri ? 😆

epicyclo

GrahamS – Member
    What iOS version epicyclo?

I have the same version 8.1.1, but Siri does not appear above Spotlight (or anywhere else).

I found Voice Dial in Passcode and have now turned it off. I’m sure I had already done this, but maybe it got turned back on a few OS upgrades ago.

Hopefully now my Ozzie contacts can have a peaceful sleep. 🙂

Thanks.

PS I see I will continue to be blighted by Voice Control for music – it says it can’t be turned off. That’s just a bloody nuisance though, not major. I don’t have music on my phone. That’s a big fail for Apple IMO – and I have had Apple computers since 1989, so I generally like their stuff.

DezB
    Free Member

I just hid in room and tried : “Hi Siri! Can you switch yourself off?”

It didn’t do it, but it told me how to.

GrahamS

By the way, I quite like Siri.

I find the ability to press a button and say things like “tell MrsGrahamS I’m leaving now. I’ll be home by 7” is quite useful, especially when I don’t want to faff about taking gloves off on a rainy/frosty night.

Admittedly this benefit has to be balanced against the ability of our toddler to accidentally dial friends in Australia. 😀

I see I will continue to be blighted by Voice Control for music – it says it can’t be turned off.

Pretty sure on my wife’s (non-Siri) iPhone 4 she can’t even turn off the Voice Dial – which is doubly amusing as her home button is knackered and sometimes sticks a bit, resulting in her frantically shouting “No. Cancel. Stop. Oh FFS…” as she accidentally dials her boss at 4am when she only wanted to check the time 😆

epicyclo

GrahamS – Member
    …resulting in her frantically shouting “No. Cancel. Stop. Oh FFS…” as she accidentally dials her boss at 4am when she only wanted to check the time

and I thought I had a problem 🙂

CountZero

PS I see I will continue to be blighted by Voice Control for music – it says it can’t be turned off. That’s just a bloody nuisance though, not major. I don’t have music on my phone. That’s a big fail for Apple IMO – and I have had Apple computers since 1989, so I generally like their stuff.

I’ve no idea what Voice Control for music is. I’ve got an old iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5, both loaded with music, and I’ve never had voice control on, and only very rarely had Siri come on when I’ve held the button down too long.
    Not even sure how to even find voice control, let alone turn it on or off; it’s certainly not something I’ve ever noticed, so I can’t see why you’re having such a problem.

robdob
    Free Member

How on earth do you accidentally phone someone when your phone is in your pocket? I actually don’t know how you could do that with an iPhone.

grum
    Free Member

By the way, I quite like Siri.

I find the ability to press a button and say things like “tell MrsGrahamS I’m leaving now. I’ll be home by 7” is quite useful, especially when I don’t want to faff about taking gloves off on a rainy/frosty night.

Me too. Handy for sending texts while driving. 😉

epicyclo

robdob – Member
    How on earth do you accidentally phone someone when your phone is in your pocket? I actually don’t know how you could do that with an iPhone.

Well I’m not imagining it. 🙂

Apparently if the button is depressed for a certain amount of time it turns on. Happens when I’m bending or twisting and the phone gets pushed against another part of my body.

If I’m just sitting around or walking etc, no problem.

Maybe my phone has a super sensitive button or something, but it’s a bleeding nuisance.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Use mine all the time, really like it.

I spend a lot time snowboarding/on chair lifts and it’s really handy not to have to take gloves off to change music / make a call / send (or read) a text.

Handy when driving too – when used safely with hands-free, of course…

molgrips
    Free Member

Hi Siri! Can you switch yourself off?

I’m sorry Dez, I cannot do that.

kiwijohn

It’ll open the pod bay doors if you wipe your feet.

stevomcd
    Free Member

You do have to give Apple credit for a sense of humour sometimes. Just as a test:

Stevo: Siri, turn yourself off.

Siri: Certain things should stay the way they are.

2nd go:

Siri: That doesn’t sound very fun. How about we play the quiet game instead?

3rd go:

Siri: You can turn me off in settings. I hope it’s not because you’ve got a new assistant.

DezB
    Free Member

Sod off you bitch

There is no need for profanity.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Voice control on iPhone. How to totally kill it.’ is closed to new replies.