Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • VMWare – wtf?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Trying to work in a VM, it’s almost unusable. It crashes constantly. How is anyone supposed to use this for any useful work?

Cougar

Nothing wrong with VMware, if it’s slow it’s the underlying infrastructure that’s at fault.

tomhoward

What Cougar said. How many VMs are on the host? My guess is ‘lots’ or ‘too many’.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s slow but not overly slow, it just keeps crashing.

The host is my laptop, just running one, and in unity mode every so often the whole thing just goes tits up.

Drac

Could be a dodgy driver. 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

If I wasn’t so annoyed I’d applaud your clever wit, Drac.

boxfish
    Free Member

I’ve found that doubling the RAM on my laptop from 4 to 8 GB enabled VMware to run properly.

Drac

I’ll take the compliment anyway cheers Molgrips.

CountZero

As I understand it, your laptop is running two machines, effectively; yours, and the second ‘virtual’ machine, so it’ll need as much memory as you can cram into it for smooth running.

Cougar

What are you using, VMWare Player?

What’s the spec of the laptop and the VM? If you’ve assigned more resources to the VM than you can physically spare, that wouldn’t be great.

molgrips
    Free Member

32gb quad core i7. I gave the vm 4 cpus, dunno if that causes a problem or not.

scuzz
    Free Member

Do you require 4 cores in the virtual machine? Are you specifically using multithreaded apps? I’d stick to 1 or 2 CPU cores.

Cougar

Try it with two.

With Hyperthreading you’ve got eight ‘virtual’ cores, but the HT cores aren’t ‘real’ cores in that sense. I’d knock it down and see how it goes.

somouk
    Free Member

What is the host OS? As above, knock it down a core or two and give it plenty of RAM.

Certainly nothing wrong with VMWare from a stability point of view so could be a driver issue, make sure your drivers and the VM ones are up to date.

Cougar

Also,

You’ve installed VMWare Tools into the guest OS, yes?

fingerbike
    Free Member

Was told to always start with one core and only up if really needed/available.
    With 4 cores allocated to a VM the hypervisor will be waiting for 4 cores to become available before it can do anything, that could explain the problems, same with the RAM allocate only what you really need, too much and it’ll be swapping it out to disk all the time if not available.
    Find VMs run on very little. Win7 – I always start with 1GB RAM and a single CPU for example – rarely have to up that and if I do it’s memory.

glenh
    Free Member

Sounds like your host isn’t up to the job. I manage several hundred VMs and they all work fine, but then they are running on proper servers 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

we use vmware at work – slow yes – crash no.

ironically its slowest on the most powerful machine with the most ram.

GrahamS

A few months ago I was developing stuff using three VMs, with three different OSes, all running simultaneously on my laptop and talking to each other via a VMnet. One was actually debugging code on the other. Don’t think VMWare crashed once.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Depending on your hardware vmware should offer some extra speed up. I don’t know if its an increased instruction set to allow direct access to some of the cpu registers via some sort of extra driver or if there is more too it than that but I’ve come across the option when setting up a virtual machine at home. Might be worth a look to check out your mother board.

EDIT: Last time I ran vmwear was about 4 years ago and never had any crashes. Currently running quemu at home and a gain no problems here either. Qemu is worth a look if you only have vmwear player as it can produce vmwear compatible images.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘VMWare – wtf?’ is closed to new replies.