vivaro swb or lwb?

Home Forum Chat Forum vivaro swb or lwb?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • vivaro swb or lwb?
  • stupot

Looking at getting a van to replace the family car. So thinking of getting a double cab vivaro.

Anyone got a swb (double cab)that they use for biking duties?

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

I use a swb one at work. We can get 3 whole bikes in the rear, diagonally head to toe style. It’s a Sportive version and is quite comfy in the front. Decent fuel economy, about 700 miles to the tank and hasn’t cost us a lot of money yet on servicing.

stupot

That sounds promising.
    Could you get more in with front wheel off?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I looked at all the options and came to the following conclusions;

1/ the crewcab looks neat but lacks ultimate flexbility
    2/ the SWB doesn’t allow a bike to be fitted in lengthwise without some dismantling (front wheel) or fitting diagonally (which is a waste of space)
    3/ when you’re driving it, the extra length isn’t noticable.

That’s why I went for a LWB version (OK – mine is a Trafic). I opted for a straight panel van and had windows and Q/R seats fitted. The seats are 2:1 and they can be fitted in reverse for when I’m using it as an ad hoc camper.

The inside looks like this…

IMAG0146 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

IMAG0147 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

IMAG0149 by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

The rear windows are heavily tinted so you can’t see in from the outside.

stupot

Definatly want a bulkhead. Or should say mrs does!
    Only way I can persuade her a van is a good idea. (She will be the main driver)

Burchy1

Nice conversion that scotroutes. Did you buy it from someone off here as I’m sure I’ve seen those pics on here before?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Nope. I had the windows and seats fitted by a coachworks (easier for insurance) and did the insulation/lining out/wiring etc myself.

Leigh

Lwb version. I looked at the short wheel base but in a long I can get a second row of seats in with bikes complete behind. And a sheet of 8×4 stands on edge down the side with the seats in if needed for work

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Both wheels off I reckon you would get a minimum of 4 across the van, depending on frame size. (I hold the work record for 9 complete bikes and 5 wheel off bikes in a standard swb vivaro van).
    We use the crew cab for trips to Norfolk and I fill the space around the bikes with luggage and accessories

Burchy1

Could of sworn it looked like druidh’s van, oh well must just be a similar conversion.

hora

Wow. Want. Is the 1.9D ok??

scotroutes- who did the felt-like lining? What sort of company and costs?

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

hora – I lined out the van myself after insulating it. I didn’t take any photos as I went, but followed damions lead after reading this thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/insulate-my-van

The felt stuff is from http://www.megavanmats.com/liningcarpet.htm

I bought loads of the stuff as (a) I was convinced I’d cock it up somewhere along the line and (b) I was going to ply/carpet the roof. However, I managed to find a roof lining (off a minibus) on ebay. With some cheap foam camping mattress stuck to the roof it’s been just great.

All that effort has made the van very quiet, so I don’t miss the bulkhead. It also means I get no problems with condensation.

The flooring is just some cheap vinyl from B&Q in that chequered aluminium look.

I also added a couple of 12v sockets, running straight off the battery, for power washer, phone charging etc plus a wee LED spotlamp at the back. Add in some extra speakers for the rear and it was a lengthy, but satisfying project.

hora

*hora likes*

klumpy

I’ve got a SWB Vivaro, and have many times stood 2 or 3 bikes against the bulkhead (so across the van’s width), I then ratchet strap them forward/down to anchor points in the front corners of the back. No diagonals required. 🙂

Dont wanna put a spanner in the works but in my experiance vivaros/primstars and the traffics have all bin nightmares reliability wise, ive worked for a few firms whove had varying models from 02 plates right up to the lates models, turning circles poor, ecu likes to go haywire and cost you a fortune, gearboxes like to shear to pieces and clutches arent the best, this is just my opinion barr one has bin ok which was used as our crew bus (lwb crew cab) and that was a bit knocky, we couldent rape them as they had limiters on them and trackers so no short shifts or 100mph blasts home on a friday, theyve just given back the last one after gearbox number 2 has spit its load out, transits are now flavour of choice!!!! Just my opinion btw not trying to piss on ur chips just a heads up to look and see if its bin well maintained or had any work done to it, the worst culprits seem to be 04-08 vivaro cdti.

hora

Well the Toyota Hi Ace is also on my list to convert.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Hijack question – is it normal for Vivaros to have Renault hoses under the bonnet?

I know they are made in same factories as the Trafic, but wondered if seeing Renault hoses indicated they may have been replaced.

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

I`ve done over 70,000 miles in my Trafic (02 reg)and I have found it pretty good overall, had a HP pump changed last year (£500) and it does at least one wishbone per year but other than that its been no worse than any other vehicle I have owned.

At some point it will want a clutch, and I`d like to put a recon turbo on it, but thats more for peice of mind than anything.

It hasn`t been babied, but it hasnt been abused either, I have lived in it during the week at times when working away, and its done trips out to the Alps in winter.
    I am now looking at windows in the side, insulation and additional seats so we can use it more for family stuff and away days.

I`d happily have another one.

zangolin

LWB double cab sportive. Easily fit 5 full size dh bikes with both wheels on and all kit in the back.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

chakaping wrote:

Hijack question – is it normal for Vivaros to have Renault hoses under the bonnet?
    I know they are made in same factories as the Trafic, but wondered if seeing Renault hoses indicated they may have been replaced.

Lots of the parts seem to be dual-branded (including both part numbers).

williams

Hi I’ve got a Vivaro crewcab SWB. For work/family duties. I can get 4 bikes across the back with front wheels off. Drives nice just like a car really. Plus there loads of space up front and in the second row of seats. Had windows put in back as wife wouldn’t let me get one unless there was a rear view mirror as were getting rid of the car at some point.
    Only thing I think it needs is speakers in the back for rear passengers which I’ll get round to doing at some point I guess. Just need to find a wiring diagram for the van.

Regards

Simon

700 miles on one tank of petrol. How big is the tank…. ,must be 100 litres at that rate

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I average around 40mpg – on diesel.

Premier Icon Sandwich
    Subscriber

Not petrol, diesel. Driven by an old bloke (not me) who used to be a LGV instructor. Tank size is about 70 litres or so.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Thanks scotroutes.

I’ll hopefully be a white van man by this time next week.

🙂

zangolin

2.0 cdti 6 speed lwb Sportive I get 42mpg on a long steady drive.
    38-40mpg on shorter runs so over 700 miles on a full tank. Tank is 90 litres.

hora

Errr how much is a full fill up??

hammerite

Timely thread and given me some ideas. Got a lwb vivaro doublecab on order and expecting delivery in the next couple of weeks.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Errr how much is a full fill up??

I noticed nobody had answered your question Hora, so I went out and bought one and filled it up from empty – just so you’d know.

£116.

Premier Icon ssboggy
    Subscriber

Most I’ve put in mine is £108 and that was with the fuel light on, although someone told me a vivaro will do another 100 miles with the fuel light on!

stevemtb

Might be a bit late with you asking a week ago…

I’ve got a SWB Transit crew – fits bikes in fully built. I put them in length ways (too long for the van) then bungee the handlebars to the roof (bike then fits a dream).

Best I had in there so far was 3 road bikes fully built and tipped up and two others in with front wheels off. Would have managed another one in there too. So 5 bikes, 5 people and all their cycling gear. All inside, all hidden away when we went to a cafe for breakfast. Perfect!

For slightly longer bikes worst case scenario would be front wheels off and 6 would fit.

Transit tends to do 35mpg giving around 600 miles per tank.

Reason I got the Tranny over the others – every Trafic/Vivaro etc I drove at the same age/mileage felt like gearbox or clutch were on their way out. Transit wasn’t quite as nice to drive but felt like it was still in one piece. Plus spares are so easy to get. Got a TDI one so chain driven, no complicated common rail technology.

And the biggest reason, I can sleep across the back seats, airbed fits in there and I can sleep full length, Trafic etc is slightly narrower and wasn’t as comfortable.

Had it over a year now and couldn’t be happier with it.

williams

Scotroutes,

How did you wire the additional speakers into the radio?

Did you need to get an adapter of some sort? Or was there wires being the radio already. I notice on the radio there is a fade front to rear menu.

Simon

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

simowill wrote:

Scotroutes,
    How did you wire the additional speakers into the radio?
    Did you need to get an adapter of some sort? Or was there wires being the radio already. I notice on the radio there is a fade front to rear menu.
    Simon

The wires for the rear speakers are already in the back of the CD/radio unit. I was going to try to trace them through the van but it was simple enough just to Scotchlok some new ones in before I did all the lining etc. I found a wiring diagram on t’internet somewhere. If I’d known all along that I was going to end up with the roof lining I’d have fitted them up there but they are fine where they are (there’s a cut-out in the pillar that they recess into).

I also bought another plug/adapter that lets me plug another gadget (like an MP3 Player) into the unit on the “Aux” channel. It’s usually my phone that’s in it.

williams

Cheers for the quick reply. I’m off to try and find the diagram on the net.

Cheers

Simon

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘vivaro swb or lwb?’ is closed to new replies.