Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Visual Basic Tutorial/Textbook Advice
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

Can any of the IT crowd on here recommend a good website of book for learning Visual Basic?

Been playing around with it on Visual Studio Express and I would like to learn a bit more.

Can anyone recommend a good website or textbook for an intermediate? A bit more than loads of “Hello World” type stuff but crazy complex and expecting good knowledge of over coding?

towzer

Hi

ot, sorry – suspect not what you want to hear, but all the guys at my place are now wanting to do C#, as they reckon VB is finished

*Could try popping down library and seeing if a author/style that suits you turns up – and could look at night school options if you want help.

winston_dog
    Free Member

library not a bad call. Miss the obvious sometimes!

Not worried about being up to date, just want to play around a bit. Used to be able to write some decent (for me!) Excel macros so thought VB would be the way to go.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    towzer

Miss the obvious sometimes

Presumably you know about http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd492171.aspx

winston_dog
    Free Member

Thanks Towzer. I was aware but haven’t used it for a few years when playing with Excel. Found it a bit hit and miss before. I’ll give another go though.

Would like a decent book, find it easier to work with to.

bigdean

For small projects google is your friend, find an example that does part of what you want.
    I managed to use a text chat example so i could send programs to cnc machines.

tinribz
    Free Member

As above, learn C# then move on to asp.net.

Youtube tuts are 10x easier than book learning.

I like this guy’s vids:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProgrammingKnowledge?feature=watch

tinribz
    Free Member

As above, learn C# then move on to asp.net.

Youtube tuts are 10x easier than book learning.

I like this guy’s vids:

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

don’t waste our time with VB – and it would certainly be good if it was killed off.

fubar
    Free Member

VB.NET or C# makes little difference to me and I can switch between the two easily (although C# tends to pay a little more)… you are using the same .NET framework / libraries and it’s with these where the important stuff happens. I quite like the Microsoft Step by Step books if they are still around (check online for the [errata] corrections as they tend to be quite error prone) after that the Certification exam guides can be quite good ‘fun’.

p.s. note VB and VB.NET are too very different beasts.

lemonysam
    Free Member

When I accidentally got a job as an ASP.NET developer I taught myself from a pdf I found online. Once you have a little knowledge you’ll end up just trawling stackoverflow questions for answers anyway…

chvck
    Free Member

Once you have a little knowledge you’ll end up just trawling stackoverflow questions for answers anyway…

There’s advice and then there’s giving away trade secrets!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Visual Basic Tutorial/Textbook Advice’ is closed to new replies.