Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Visiting Mt Teide
  • gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m staying in Tenerife with my family and thinking of visiting Teide tomorrow. I wondered if someone in the know would be able to clarify a couple of things?

From what I can see if we drive to the cable car for 9am in the morning we will hopefully be able to get the cable car up? Is that right and can we buy tickets when we get there? Also does anyone know if I will be alright taking two kids (7 and 5) up on my own?

I know we need a permit to the walk to the peak but we’re too late for that.

Does anyone know anything else about getting the cable car that I should know?

Finally, I should have checked before but is there any chance it will be closed for Good Friday?

Cheers,

Jon

el_boufador

Hi we went up a couple of years ago. Ddeffo worth it. The mountain is ace and so is the moonscape lava on the way. It’s really awesome landscape up there even if you don’t go on the cable car right to the top.
    It will be a LOT colder at the top than it is at the cable car station. Wrap up warm. There were people dressed for the beach when we went there that stayed in the cable car station!
    You’ll be fine with a 5 and 7 yr old. There are some rocks to stumble over on the rough paths, but nothing to really fall completely off.
    Also get there *early*. We did, didnt have tickets and queued for about 30 minutes for about the 3rd car of the day. When we got back the queue was massive, possibly a couple of hours in length.
    While you are up there there are some cool rock formations at canadas de tiede which are great for a short mooch about with young uns

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s most helpful. What would you class as early? I was going to aim to park up at 8:30am…

el_boufador

Ps if you are anywhere near I also recommend San Andres as a place to visit. Lovely village with awesome fish restaurant, and an imported sandy beach / man-made reef. (Sounds a bit shit but isnt) Decent snorkelling in the reef with tropical fish

el_boufador

We got there for about 20(?) Mins before it opened. It’s been a while…

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Cool, ta. We went to the beach at San Andres the other day, it was very nice though somehow failed to spot the reef, and didn’t go into the village either. Sounds like another trip is in order!

el_boufador

Have fun, love the canaries. San Andres isn’t particularly pretty, ok, but the fish restaurants…. I’m salivating… There is one particular famous one… Just looked in trip advisor Restaurante Los Pinchitos is the one. We couldn’t get in and went to a different one that was also amazing

mariner
    Free Member

When we went you had to walk the final part as the cable car stops short.
    Not that easy at that altitude.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

@OP – your username is very apt for this thread!

zilog6128

If there is one molecule of snow at the top they’ll close the cable car for “safety reasons”. At least that is my experience! Makes you wonder how they possibly cope in the Alps!! 😂

MrSmith
    Free Member

Get there early! I was there 2 years to the day but paid for a tour guide as that’s about the only way to get access to the very top (bizarrely we had to take passports) there was nobody there when we arrived but the place was rammed when we got back down.
    Paid for transport and a guide plus permit to summit was nearly €200 once I bunged the guide a bit more to drive us to some other spots in the park.
    Worth every penny, no waiting around or queuing. We were lucky with the weather and just had a little bit of wind but clear skies if a little cold.
    We were in villaflor so only a short drive away, there is a great cafe just outside the village if you go back that way.

The day before we climbed up to the rim of the outer ridge through the pine forests to get a look at the volcano, would love to be back there now.

franksinatra

We were there in the summer, booked to stay overnight at the observatory. There war the slightest of slight breezes, cable car was closed for safety reasons.

gorillainthepeak
    Free Member

Headed up there this morning for about half 8 and we were 3rd in the queue. It was cold in the breeze up the top but not too bad. The views were as you’d expect amazing and the volcanic rock everywhere makes for a really different environment. Did both the walks but not the one to el Pico as I hadn’t sorted the permits.

Some lovely spots to stop on the way back down to Santa Cruz in the car but the kids wanted to get back to the pool! Might nip up another day for a pine forest walk.

So all in all a good day, thanks for your tips. The queue for the cable car didn’t seem so bad at 11am when we came back down, but the parking was a nightmare everywhere.

@GlennQuagmire
    re my username – didn’t get chance to get my hairy back out and recreate any planet of the apes scenes unfortunately!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Visiting Mt Teide’ is closed to new replies.