Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Vietnamese Pot Bellied Pigs as pets
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Anyone know anything about these? Do they count as ‘pets’ if you keep them in your garden/garage, or do you need some kind of licence, or need to inform some authority?

slowoldman

Do they fetch sticks or enjoy running along with MTBs?

dyna-ti

More then likely going to poop everywhere. 😆 the runny stuff.

Bound to be some sort of downside most owners dont readily discuss. Might be a good idea, but i’d look to see what the actual downsides of it are.

bruk

I once had to go and see a ‘sick’ one. O had no handling facilities or experience. Weighing in at around 50kg he wasn’t easy to handle. We chased it around the garden for 1/2 an hour without catching it and I then declared it bloody fit enough!

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Docile, only shit in one place, dont like cold weather, take ownership of certain things (shoes gloves etc) eat a lot.

Caher

Docile, only shit in one place, dont like cold weather, take ownership of certain things (shoes gloves etc) eat a lot.

Huh, that’s me.

funkmasterp

I always wanted a goat as a pet. No particular reason other than I think they’re ace.

jambourgie
    Free Member

There’s some goats near me. They smell, and they butt you if you try and and stroke them. But yeah, they’re pretty cool.

tthew

In that class of pet, I’d like a Donkey.

jamj1974

I’d like most kind of tame mammals as a pet. A goat, pig, sheep, a small horse.

qwerty
    Free Member

Never trust a man who keeps pigs…

funkynick

We’ve got four piggies which we keep in some woodland… although they aren’t pets… they’ll get rather big and expensive to feed after about 6 months… and they are also darned tasty!

Anyway, for us to keep them we have to have a County holding number which you get from your local council, then you need to get a herd number (I think it was in that order). Once you have that then you are all set to keep a pig.

Oh, you’ll also need to sign up with Defra as you need to register all pig movements onto and off your property, but it’s dead easy through the website now.

Also, pig wee and poo really stinks… but makes great manure for the garden… you just need to let it rot down a while before using.

CountZero

More then likely going to poop everywhere.
    Yeah, the hedgehogs do that, quite often on their food plates! But at least they’re small, require no actual looking after and find themselves somewhere to sleep. They cost a small fortune to feed, though; it’s got to be cheaper to feed kids!

funkmasterp

In that class of pet, I’d like a Donkey

Donkeys are one of my favourite animals. They just look like they don’t give a shit and I admire that. Would be brilliant to open the blinds of a morning and see one in the garden, nonchalantly munching on some hay.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.