Video Editing (Mac)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Video Editing (Mac)
  • STATO

Hi all,

Bought a gopro and want something a little more than basic ‘join clips together’ of iMovie. Ideally I’d like to be able to place clips on some sort of timeline rather than end-to-end if that makes sense? So I can place them against music rather than micro-adjusting the length of each clip to suit. I’d also like to be able to overlay half the screen with black (sort of like when you see video on one half of screen and credits on the other, but maybe not that fancy)

Any suggestions? I have a Mac obviously but it’s not mega powerful, would prefer to stay using it tho as my pc is old and prob not up to the job.

Someone will prob now tell me iMovie can do all this, if so any sites with simple instructions??

Thanks,
    rich.

rewski

Have you looked in the app store? I use Final Cut and Adobe Premier but they cost £200

jimjam

Adobe Premier elements is about £80. I’ve only used the full version but I would imagine the elements package would suit most entry level users.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

I’m pretty sure I did something similar in iMovie. Chances are you already own it so you’ve nothing to lose really! Really doesn’t need instruction, but I think there were tutorials of a sort built in (or it was the online help .. I did refer to it a bit..)

STATO

At this stage I think I’m about £80 more amateur then Adobe Elements !

Joking aside thanks for the suggestion. While I don’t think I’m at that stage yet it’s probably not a bad idea to consider, bound to be easier to use than cheap or free tools.

STATO

Cheers brass neck, I’ll give it another go. IDeadly if find someone who was already using it but don’t know anyone to nag.

allthegear

Might be worth going along to an Apple Store and joining in with one of their training things on iMovie?

Whilst they a bloody annoying when your trying to buy something (no, I know what I want, I don’t need you to analyse it any further thank you…) they do manage to run pretty useful courses on their software.

Rachel

jimjam

Here’s a tip. Not being sarcastic so stay with me after this next sentence. Google “top 5 free editing apps for mac”.

Then go on youtube and look for tutorials for those programmes and imovie ( and premier for context).

That’ll give you a good, detailed over view of the programmes as well as a look at the interfaces, how they work, what the work flow is like, how simple or complicated they appear.

I’ve used pretty much every pro level app out there and have edited for broadcast tv. When I downloaded gopro’s own app I got pissed off with it inside about 10 minutes. Same thing for imovie.

hypnotoad

If you’re used to iMovie then Final cut is a good solution, as iMovie is pretty much a cut down Final Cut.

grum

I used to quite like iMovie but I have a feeling they’ve made it more annoying in later versions. I use Adobe Premier now but it’s not cheap and has a reasonable learning curve.

STATO

Looks like you can get a trial of Final Cut Pro X. Need to update my operating system first so will give that a shot before moving onto something else. Cheers all.

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

Might be worth going along to an Apple Store and joining in with one of their training things on iMovie?

Whilst they a bloody annoying when your trying to buy something (no, I know what I want, I don’t need you to analyse it any further thank you…) they do manage to run pretty useful courses on their software.

Rachel

That’s a good call if you are anywhere near an Apple store, the training has always seemed pretty decent for nothing when I’ve tagged along.

jimjam

Stato, I wouldn’t just jump into doing that without taking a look first especially if it’s a big od update. Final cut is a pretty hefty programme, you might spend most of your trial period just learning the basics. Which would be great , but are you then going to buy it to continue editing your gopro clips?

Well though it’s far from amazing my first attempt at video editing (also with footage from a gopro) was with iMovie. I’m far from being skilled with this sort of stuff but I was quite pleased with what I managed to turn out with iMovie.

iMovie vid I made.

I recently updated it though and it appears to be far less user friendly. Still, it’s pretty decent in my opinion. Certainly worth seeing what you can do with it first.

flatfish

Tagging for reference.

I would say iMovie is easily capable of what you are asking. You might want to spend a bit more time on the tutorials etc. Time lines are certainly available.

IA

Someone will prob now tell me iMovie can do all this, if so any sites with simple instructions??

I’ll be that guy, don’t have a specific recommendation, but try youtube for how tos?

rewski

You might regret upgrading to yosemite, adobe ae is well shonky, as is my ddp

STATO

Cheers all. It’s been a while since I used iMovie in anger and I was proficient enough with it at the time to make me think (now) it couldn’t do what I wanted. Obviously my memory of what it could do (or my ability at the time) Is lying to me as it does seem iMovie can do some of what I would like, maybe it’s just more obvious in the latest version? Maybe I’m just useless.

Will have a look later at my version.

Rewski do you mean in general or specifically for vid edits?

Three_Fish

You could try Blackmagic’s DaVinci Resolve Lite. It’s free from the App Store.

STATO – I remember earlier versions of iMovie had a more obvious classic time line layout which they kind of dropped in the later versions, but most of the functionality is still there if you look hard enough. You can certainly piece together clips on a time line and add a sound track without much hassle in the current version.

IA

You can certainly piece together clips on a time line and add a sound track without much hassle in the current version.

To expand on that, if you want to sync up cuts to the music etc, you can set beat markers and use them to cut between clips and so on too (google iMovie beat markers).

Duane…

Sorry to semi-hijack the thread, but seeing as there are iMovie users about…

Is there anyway that I can have my camera video clips stored normally on my macbook, and edit them in iMovie, without having a iMovie library file and therefore storing the files twice?

IA

Yes, and I’ve done this but:

It varies depending on which version of iMovie.

IIRC it’s a bit of a faff with symlinks for the latest one.

I can’t remember how, I’d need my mac to hand to check.

Think somebody has mentioned it already but Adobe Premiers is well worth it if you can afford it, the elements version will be OK but I haven’t used that.

Premier Icon mucker
    Subscriber

Fervouredimage, I fairly enjoyed your video, images and music nicely put together.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Video Editing (Mac)’ is closed to new replies.