Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Vegan fun
  • Nico
    Free Member

“Plant-based” is the new word for Vegan, where they don’t want to scare people off e.g. in Marks and Spencers. I eat a plant-based diet, though much of the plants it is based on are in the form of animal fodder.

If you’ve ever been on a dairy farm when the calves are separated from their mothers (at 3 days, I think) you will probably think seriously about this vegan thing, or at least about those Bose headphones.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool story DebZ.

martinhutch

What about advocados?

That’s an egg-based liqueur, so definitely not vegan.

epicyclo

DezB

a salient post sir.

It’s not, it’s bollocks. “Proud of” and “carnivore”… bollocks

The people with a problem with vegans seem very keen to push their views on other people.

They also seem obsessed with their bacon and steak eating etc, so literally proud, and by definition carnivore, although I’m not sure if bollocks are a frequent menu item.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Pretty sure the people talking about eating bacon and steak are more likely to be omnivores. I bet they like their bacon in a sandwich (maybe with some kind of sauce) and their steak with chips.

Richie_B

The people with a problem with vegans seem very keen to push their views on other people.

And likewise there are an equal number of vegans similarly keen to push their views on other people.

I’m say this as someone who didn’t eat meat for 18 years for my own reasons and to my own rules who got heartily fed up of patronising vegans who took it upon themselves to repeatedly educate me in the evils of honey, diary etc.

I don’t have a problem with vegans just with people who assume others don’t share their choices through a lack of education/knowledge. For the record I have been to an abattoir, albeit a small local one, and that had nothing to do with my choices then or now

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Lived with a veggie and had a largely veggie lifestyle for years. A few vegan friends. No problem with vegans, far less than with “veggies” who announce “I only eat fish or chicken”. This case it was the way he announced to everyone (probably just meant to impress inform his partner) about his lifestyle choice.
    Respect to those who are prepared to go veggie or vegan, especially vegan as that is not an easy route to follow.
    But neither is the singlespeed life.

Cougar

When people refer to their diet as ‘Plant based’, do they mean Vegan?

Sounds to me like someone for whom being vegan is no longer special enough.

The vegan is not being an arse, he’s merely trying to avoid being an unwitting party to what he considers barbaric practices.

Or, y’know, just trying to make sure that the food he’s buying is suitable for vegans and not cross-contaminated. Of all the places one could be gratuitously telling someone they’re vegan in a “look at me” sort of way, surely a pub / restaurant is not one of them. If they were in a bowling alley the OP might’ve had a point.

The fact that this thread is called “vegan fun” and the OP took great delight in waiting for the chap to drink his beer before being “able” to inform him that he’d made a mistake demonstrates quite clearly to me who is the arse in this particular tale.

I can’t possibly imagine why the chap might’ve felt the need to be “forceful” when crappy attitudes like this prevail. Maybe if people were quicker to go “hey mate, I couldn’t help but overhear you’re vegan, are you aware that the pint you’re getting isn’t vegan-friendly? You might want to order something else, the bottled Landlord is fine,” they might not feel the need to be so forceful about it in future.

But no, it’s far easier to just bleat on about vegans this and vegetarians that when in reality the vast, vast majority of people who constantly make a song and dance about what someone else eats is the omnivores.

Cougar

And likewise there are an equal number of vegans similarly keen to push their views on other people.

Then your experience differs greatly from mine. As I said the last time this came up (like three days ago or whatever), in my entire life I’ve met precisely two preachy vegans.

The first was a card-carrying Professionally Offended at University who was variously vegan, a man-hating lesbian (even though she had a boyfriend, I never did work that one out), a Christian of some form or another, and whatever other -ism du jour she could come up with.

The second was a random lass in a pub who was trying to pick a fight with anyone who’d listen. Full on “meat is murder” type, making herself a proper pain in the arse.

And as I’ve said time and time again, a shouty minority is rarely representative of a demographic as a whole. Not all Muslims are terrorists, not all leavers are gammons, they’re just the ones who shout (or explode) the loudest and give the rest a bad name.

Enjoy your bacon.

kayla1
    Free Member

I don’t mind vegans, I couldn’t eat a whole one though! 😆 😆

edit- huge respect to vegans for being able to do it.

Cougar

😆

tomhoward

Sounds to me like someone for whom being vegan is no longer special enough.

TBH I had thought it was the other way round, they didnt want to be associated with Vegans, or at least the ones that folk claim ram their lifestyle choice down others necks.

Also, Plant based, meaning they don’t eat meat/dairy but then don’t have a problem with new fivers/leather pants shoes etc seems reasonable.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are we having fun yet?

No, didn’t think so.

“…couldn’t eat a whole one…” That’s funny. 😂

gonefishin
    Free Member

They also seem obsessed with their bacon and steak eating etc, so literally proud, and by definition carnivore, although I’m not sure if bollocks are a frequent menu item.

You may want to check your definition of “carnivore” for errors, unless your real name is humpty dumpty.

Drac

I’m off for pub meal tomorrow where you order at the bar. I hope the people at the bar don’t think I’m announcing to everyone that I’m an omnivore.

bob_summers

http://www.barnivore.com/ is useful, most (99%?) cask ale is isinglass fined and I can’t see that changing though a few breweries are labelling their cask as vegan. Easier pickings with craft keg and bottled, though I have noticed more lactose creeping into the former (eg Milkshake IPAs)

Cougar

cask ale is isinglass fined and I can’t see that changing though a few breweries are labelling their cask as vegan.

Yeah. As I understand it, the alternative to finings requires the beer to sit for a few weeks, and cask doesn’t generally keep for long enough. Either that or have cloudy beer.

Cougar

TBH I had thought it was the other way round, they didnt want to be associated with Vegans, or at least the ones that folk claim ram their lifestyle choice down others necks.

Fair enough. Dunno.

Also, Plant based, meaning they don’t eat meat/dairy but then don’t have a problem with new fivers/leather pants shoes etc seems reasonable.

Funnily enough, that was one of the arguments from the lass in the pub I mentioned earlier.

She’d assumed I was a meat-eater from the outset, never actually asked, and had been on a tirade for a good ten minutes with me countering her frankly spurious arguments. After I stopped her dead in her tracks by finally confessing I’d been veggie for probably a decade or so, she paused mouth still open for a moment then went “but you’ve got leather shoes!” I patiently explained that I didn’t in fact eat my shoes, at which point she gave up and stormed off to find someone else to harass.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Most vegans aren’t vegans anyway because there cars run on dead animals 😂

bob_summers

Most vegans aren’t vegans anyway because there cars run on dead animals 😂

Where?

Cougar, I used Irish moss in my home brewing days. Not sure why it isn’t used commercially, I think the fish guts go in at a later stage.
    Not particularly a fan of craft beer but at least they have done away with the notion that haze = bad.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

still waiting for the fun in here…

fatmax

when he downed his first mouthful

– mistake, let him finish his pint! 😉

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

For some reason this thread reminded me of similar ‘fun’ video with cyclists:

It all fits because he/his followers also hate have fun with vegans for equally obvious reasons.

forked
    Free Member

Oh the delight I felt when he downed his first mouthful of Timmy Taylor’s Landlord and I was able to point out that it isn’t a vegan pint

Good work.

Did he take on this expression?

https://cdn-stream.httpid.com/c202/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/triggered-feminist.jpg

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Vegan fun’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM