Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Vegan fun
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

In my local for a lunch chat and in wanders a couple where the guy makes sure everyone knows he is vegan, rang yesterday to make sure all is going to be ok with his meal and generally stamped his personality on the place.
    Oh the delight I felt when he downed his first mouthful of Timmy Taylor’s Landlord and I was able to point out that it isn’t a vegan pint.
    If you’re going to be a very forceful vegan please do your paperwork.

Cougar

Was it on tap or bottled?

dougiedogg
    Free Member

MMMMMMM beer!

dazh

Yawn. I suppose you told him how nice bacon smells too?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Probably offered him some hot sausage too

Drac

In my local for a lunch chat and in wanders a couple where the guy makes sure everyone knows he is vegan,

Sure he did.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry, maybe the title should be don’t be a cock about being vegan. AND do your research.
    I spent years living with a veggie and making sure that the chips weren’t cooked in the same fat as the sausages became autimatic. And I hope I never acted as big an arse as Mr I Am A Vegan.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sure he did.

Didn’t see you there Drac, Facebook live streaming too by the guy wouldn’t surprise me.

Cougar

ICYMI,

Cougar Subscriber
    Was it on tap or bottled?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Sorry Cougar, draught.
    The bottled is vegan

Cougar

… was going to be my point, yes. (-:

miketually
    Free Member

I’m vegan.

All beer and wine is vegan, as far as I’m concerned.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You are not a vegan. You are a veggie. HTH

loum
    Free Member

What about advocados?

tomhoward

Genuine question here, honest. When people refer to their diet as ‘Plant based’, do they mean Vegan? Was on masterchef the other day, where they had to do a plant based menu. or does it mean something else?

Like all vegans are plant based dieters, but not all plant based dieters are vegan, kind of thing?

Harry_the_Spider

What about advocados?

Aren’t they a type of armoured Anteater?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

When the OP said “fun”…

epicyclo

I can understand a vegan being ultra fussy if their veganism is a ethical choice.

When almost all commercial foodstuffs contain the products of industrial scale slaughter such a person finds it difficult avoiding meat products when eating out.

Most people simply turn a blind eye to how their meat/dairy/chickens are produced.

If you’re proud of being a carnivore, I suggest you take a visit to your local abattoir on killing day and listen to the distress of the animals as they approach the business end. They give every indication of knowing what’s about to happen. (Try not make mental comparisons to Auschwitz)

The vegan is not being an arse, he’s merely trying to avoid being an unwitting party to what he considers barbaric practices.

(No, I’m not vegan, but I haven’t been keen on meat products since watching the business end of an abattoir. Put me down as an occasional carnivore avoiding the issue).

DezB
    Free Member

My dad used to have to do a lot of paperwork. Put me off doing a job in sales it did. Fact.
    (He was an omnivore though)

taxi25
    Free Member

If you’re proud of being a carnivore, I suggest you take a visit to your local abattoir on killing day and listen to the distress of the animals as they approach the business end. They give every indication of knowing what’s about to happen. (Try not make mental comparisons to Auschwitz)

Vegans coming out with this sort of stuff is why some people have a problem with them.
    Edit.
    I do note you say your not a vegan.

tomhoward

Vegans coming out with this sort of stuff is why some people have a problem with them.

+1. Calling dairy farmers rapists doesn’t help either.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

binners posts fake news shocker – sorry, I can’t see that ever happening

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

What about advocados?

Aren’t they a type of armoured Anteater?

Portugese lawyers?

Drac

If you’re proud of being a carnivore, I suggest you take a visit to your local abattoir on killing day and listen to the distress of the animals as they approach the business end. They give every indication of knowing what’s about to happen.

Went to one as a kid and lived near another. The cows mooed and sheep went baaaaa just like the do when we moved them into a new field. No idea if that’s anything like a Nazi death camp but I have my doubts.

Didn’t see you there Drac, Facebook live streaming too by the guy wouldn’t surprise me.

You were probably too busy rolling your eyes and rattling your newspaper.

avdave2

Were you upset because you were just about to tell everyone you were a cyclist when he came in and took all the attention?

submarined
    Free Member

A small minority of Vegans coming out with this sort of stuff is why s small minority of borish people have a problem with them.

FTFY.
    Strange, I can think of multiple Vegans I know who I didn’t realise were vegans until I raised the issue. I guess they’re doing it wrong.
    Respect is a wonderful thing.
    You’d think that all manner of recent events in the world should maybe encourage a less **** outlook from some people. Maybe not.

FWIW I used to be **** about this. Then i compared myself against rule #1. And stopped immediately. Whilst feeling pretty ashamed.

duckman

No, he is upset because this thread isn’t going the way he planned. Strange, I have met about two vegans like that, yet every description of them seems to be like Eddiebabys above…Makes you wonder.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Genuine question here, honest. When people refer to their diet as ‘Plant based’, do they mean Vegan? Was on masterchef the other day, where they had to do a plant based menu. or does it mean something else?

Non-vegan here so take what I’m about to say with due consideration of that, but I would guess that someone who “follows a plant based diet” would not eat any animals or related products (milk, eggs honey that sort of thing) but would not have an issue with say wearing leather as that isn’t part of their diet. Most (well all actually) vegans that I have known wouldn’t be wearing leather.

Can I also just say vegan baking is bloody difficult when you are used to using butter and eggs!

walleater

If you go into a pub etc that you’ve not been into before and have dietary requirements then it’s maybe not a surprise to find out that the hosts are not psychic and other means of communication are required in order to ascertain if you can eat there, and then confirm that everything is OK.
    Someone could of course have been helpful and pointed out that the beer wasn’t vegan (how wasn’t it vegan and how does the OP know?) before the person drank for it. I don’t think it’s the vegan being the smug one here. If you don’t give a poo about what you eat or the affects it has on others, then these are not challenges that you face in your every day life. Easy to judge eh?

gobuchul
    Free Member

(how wasn’t it vegan and how does the OP know?)

That beer is cleared using isinglass, made from fish swim bladders.

walleater

Oh and “plant based” – a choice based on health reasons generally. Maybe wear leather etc and more about the person than the animals / planet.
    “(Ethical) vegan” – someone who sacrifices their potential like of the taste of meat and dairy etc for the great good, animal welfare, and the planet based on educating themselves on the world around them. A source of never ending attacks from meat eaters constantly trying to find out if there is hint of meat dairy entering or on the person’s body despite the fact that most less vocal vegans don’t claim to be perfect anyway, which makes the attacks a bit of a farce 😉

100inch
    Free Member

Sounds to me like the guy in question was an utter cockwomble and the “being a vegan” thing was just something to the cockwombly about.

I for one find vegans to be fairly useful. Being a lactose intolerant, I often order the vegan option from a menu as I know it won’t leave me rolling around on the floor in pain.

walleater

Thanks gobuchul, I’m not in the UK any more so had never heard of the brand. Like Guinness is or was.

simondbarnes

Oh the delight I felt when he downed his first mouthful of Timmy Taylor’s Landlord and I was able to point out that it isn’t a vegan pint.

You sound such a delight to be around. I hope he told you to **** off.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You were probably too busy rolling your eyes and rattling your newspaper.

Posted

I was reading Private Eye at the bar.

Were you upset because you were just about to tell everyone you were a cyclist when he came in and took all the attention?

My singlespeed was by the door. Did i mention I ride a singlespeed? Not many animals used in its construction either…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You sound such a delight to be around. I hope he told you to **** off.

No, after his posturing on arrival that option had well left the paddock.

DezB
    Free Member

If you’re proud of being a carnivore

Carnivore! LolZ!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Epicyclo, a salient post sir.

DezB
    Free Member

a salient post sir.

It’s not, it’s bollocks. “Proud of” and “carnivore”… bollocks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Vegan fun’ is closed to new replies.