• This topic has 64 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by thered.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Van threads never seem to mention the vito, why?
  • Lummox

I’ve got a 2014 xlwb viano 2.2 auto

had it a year now after returning to vans, had a 2.5 T5 lwb kombi before the car mistake.

The Vito is better in every way except its popularity which means getting nifty extras is harder.

I removed and sold the third row of seats and now have 5 comfortable leather seats with the rear’s sliding almost the full length of the rear, they fold , roll forward and remove completely if needed (blimming heavy though)

I added swivels to the front seats and a fork mount rail that fits onto the seats rail in the rear.

I can fit comfortably 3 bikes of xl size into the rear with the second row of seats still able to seat sensible sized adults, 4 bikes mounted to the rail with care and children is fine.

The multi function stalk and foot handbrake took about 30 minutes to get used to with only the occasional mind fart when I’ve not driven it for a bit.

Honestly I could never have afforded this kind of comfort or quality in a t5, the t5 had a nice status and had a big golf ish feel and my old one is still going at near 250000 miles but it looks increasingly dated, wasn’t as nice to drive and had less features. The Vito mpv’s have a lot of extras or none in my searching experience.

Do your due dillegence, keep up with the maintenance and there’s some absolute bargains to be had compared to vivaros, transits etc etc all of which have their own issues.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve had fords,  it’s a very good reason to prefer other brands.

ads678

@Lummox which swivels did you get? I’m thinking of sticking some in mine.

I had a SMax before buying the Viano and loved it. Was a great car for driving down to the Alpes and stuff. Roof box, full boot and 4 bikes on the back and it still went like the clappers up the French motorway hills. Mine was a 2008 version so I reckon the newer ones would be lovely to drive.

Lummox

I got a pair of fasps, went in easy but needed to bend the swivel lever up to avoid fouling the plastics. Passenger is a doddle to swivel and I’ll quite often spin it when having a brew waiting for someone. Drivers is a bit more of a pain but it’s possible to have both seats facing rear wards

neilnevill
    Free Member

Hello, when did they change the engine options for the galaxy?  No matter,  it seems the oil burner is ditched for a2.5 litre petrol, better.  Its self charging hybrid…. shame its not plug in,  but at least the power train is petrol now.

I would still have the problem that the local Ford dealer is truly awful, and is still a Ford,  but its more appealing than it used to be with its diesel engine. Although the starting price of £40k is the same as a new vito.

colp

Not read whole thread but I’ve had Vitos since 2006. They stared being galvanised then and don’t rust. They will do mega miles. Very economical, my best is 53mpg on a long run.

My first was a 2006 Dualiner XLWB, I did 250000 miles with no problems. Sold it to my local garage and it’s still going now.

I currently have a 2018 119 XLWB Tourer Select that I bought in 2019. It’s been completely faultless. Will take 5 people & fully built bikes in comfort.

I usually have the rear seats out so it’s a 5 seater with around 6’ behind the second row. I knocked up a folding bike rack to chock rear wheels and protect my seats.

I’ve had it Pendle remapped to 235bhp so it’s pretty quick and still incredibly economical for its size.

It’s a really nice place to do long journeys, far more comfortable than my wife’s 5 series.

They can suffer DPF problems if repeatedly used for short distances, and can suffer Black Death (injectors leaks) in later life, I’ve never had an issue though.

Don’t get a 1.6 engine, the older ones are Renault and crap.

ads678

I got a pair of fasps, went in easy but needed to bend the swivel lever up to avoid fouling the plastics. Passenger is a doddle to swivel and I’ll quite often spin it when having a brew waiting for someone. Drivers is a bit more of a pain but it’s possible to have both seats facing rear wards

Cheers @Lummox

the00
    Free Member

@ads678 I had FASP in my previous vito, and have RIB in my current one. The FASP ones have a slighlly lower stack height and rattle less. But the paint finish is awful and the latch was a bit flimsy. When it broke I had to get a new part laser cut in stainless. The RIB is better built.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Small load volume. If you are unfortunate to get bad one expensive to repair.

If you get a good one and didn’t pay over the odds,  you’re on a winner until it needs repairs!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Not sure about the later ones as from earlier posts they are now galvanised, but I’ve never seen a vehicle rust faster than my mate’s old Vito.

I watched it go from ‘tidy, with a few rust spots on the arches’ to ‘holes in the sills and needing half the floorpan replaced’ over the course of a single winter. Incredible, and not in a good way.

nedrapier

Off to see a 2008 Viano this afternoon. £9K, 3.0 v6, XLWB, lots of toys, leather etc. 55K miles.

Will I or won’t I?

Yak

Mileage seems very low for the age at less than 3.5k miles per year? So I’m going with a no on this.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you mean to type 2018?

£9k seems very ambitious for a 16-year-old van.

nedrapier

yeah, couple of things don’t add up 100%, but it’s a personal recommendation and I’m going round there anyway for something. Apparently he’s been offered that as trade in by a dealer, and the place he bought it from has said they’d stick it on the forecourt and give him 10K when it sells. bit of uncertainty in option 2), obviously!

alpin
    Free Member

Think these things are popular with private hire/airport runs as they can easily do high miles, but are leased so got rid of before the inevitable rust sets in.

timber

Seems about right if ambitious.
    It’s a top spec van that has probably been in private ownership.
    It’s at the start of improved rust prevention. Face lift would be better.

porter_jamie

My experience with a viano, 639.1 xlwb 3.0

Bought it with 44k it’s now 136k

Bits that broke:

Arb bushes and drop links couple times, top mounts, front spring, dpf nearly fell off, RR spring air bags, egr (this month) rr exh box mount fell off so bought a new genuine one, RR brake light switch (this is a thing I carry a spare) couple of RR wheel bearings. The adaptor gasket that holds the inlet onto the turbo.

Servicing. Gearbox oil twice (every 60k) oil every 7k (twice as often as recommended) using oil and filter from Merc commercial dealer as it’s the cheapest you can get. Fuel filter every other oil. Several sets of brakes. Again genuine as it’s nearly as cheap as the pattern shite and feels great. Did the water pump, pulleys and Fead at about 90k, but they seemed fine actually.

I’ve changed to 17″ wheels from 18 using genuine Vito wheels if course, and michy softroader tyres (only rated for a viano not a van) and I can’t recommend this enough has completely transformed it. So much nicer to drive. The tyres work well on damp grass and so on, much better than my 18 summers previously.

Goes like stink. Mpg is mid 30s on a Run if you take it steady. Road tax is horrendous. Masses of room inside.

I wish I had a lwb w639.2 4 cylinder auto, (my brother has a Vito version) and it’s not really any slower, it’s much much better on the juice and it’s easier to park, and the roadtax is about half. Van speed limits and van tolls.

spooky_b329

Apparently he’s been offered that as trade in by a dealer,

1) Why is he going through the hassle of selling if he can get the same price as a simple trade in?

2) Or the trade in price is a porky or from ages ago in covid but he’s mentioned it to limit any haggling.

PS Taxis need an MOT from year one and six monthly I think, so I guess this will be shown on the MOT checker, along with proof of annual mileage.

chakaping
    Free Member

Easy to check asking prices for comparable vehicles on AT.

I was having a peek at some other makes yesterday and – as I thought – used prices have slipped further since late 2023.

Olly
    Free Member

i went to see one: the “hand brake” was a 4th pedal, next to the clutch.

Yuck.

flicker
    Free Member

i went to see one: the “hand brake” was a 4th pedal, next to the clutch.

Took a little time to get used to but I prefer the pedal operated parking brake over a regular handbrake now (not that it makes any real difference)

ads678

Mines a 3rd pedal next to the brake but not as close as a clutch would be! Not having a hand brake in the way has been brilliant for fitting swivel plates to the front seats and having a cool box between the seats.

IMG_20231227_153948159_HDR (1)

TheDTs
    Free Member

Yes the parking brake thing is a bit different but easy to get used to. We sold our work one, and bought another. 72 plate auto this time. Even nicer than the manual to drive.

My sister bought the work one off the business  And it is mid conversion. Pop up roof is fitted, r n r seat and kitche fitting  in June. Fewer options than vw for conversions. It will be a nice conversion though.

SaxonRider

As a former Vito owner, I would never, ever recommend one.

Despite having been told that mine was of a post-rust generation (2013), it rusted all over.

Plus, it had transmission problems, and that damned foot-operated parking brake was not only a PIA, it also snapped regularly. The ol’ Vito was in the shop regularly, and I can’t say that about my two T4s, or even my Peugeot Boxer!

thered

Vito was the most uncomfortable van i have ever used.

The offset driving position was extraordinarily bad for my back

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.