Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 247 total)
  • Van thread, 4 bike, gazebo, kit, which one?
  • zerocool

Much as I love both my Customs, you’re not going to get 40mpg out of it very often, if at all.

weeksy

Much as I love both my Customs, you’re not going to get 40mpg out of it very often, if at all.

Yeah i’ve kinda established that after the weekend lol. Which is a little weird as all the Ford figures say 40 should be easy…. but clearly not. It’s no biggy though, it’s the price we pay for having the vehicle we want of course.

I’m off down to my mates place for lunch and a chat over a mince pie. I don’t think i’ll be buying this particular van that’s on the driveway, he has a couple of other options that tick slightly more boxes in terms of condition and miles on the clocks.

Obviously though when you got newer/lower you have to up the budget, but not massively and not by so much that it cripples you… but this is currently where we are with it. Obviously this all depends on what they’ve sold this weekend and have coming in, but this is leading the charge at the moment.

mashr

Which is a little weird as all the Ford figures say 40 should be easy…

Not really, they all lie through their teeth

e.g. https://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/transit-2014

sharkattack

Everyone knows manufacturers measure fuel economy with the van on a treadmill, with a strong tail wind.

Saying that, I just checked my 2.2 Boxer on that website and it’s showing an average of 32.2 which is higher than I’d expected. I might be on the high side since I’ve got the smallest body and it’ll never be fully loaded.

matt_outandabout

Which is a little weird as all the Ford figures say 40 should be easy…

In comparing with friends, it seems that the older engines in Mk7 Transit do better than the newer engines or models of Transit or Custom… 🤷‍♂️

Around the doors, eldest_oab’s SWB, High Roof, 2.2tdci 125 6sp manages maybe 35mpg if he is easy on it (under 30mpg if not), if he cruises at 60mph he is getting 43mpg, but take it to 70 and it is back at mid-30’s…I guess no surprise that taking a brick shaped, 2.5t vehicle around the roads = crap mpg’s….

colp

Vito 119 XLWB (235bhp Pendle remap)
    Liverpool to Hull Ferry

Shell V-Power with a dose of Archoil D6400

weeksy

Wow… that’s mighty impressive mate.

Onto van security…

https://www.avrmobiles.co.uk/product/van-hook-locks-and-anti-peel-fitters/

I’m thinking this set ?

uggski

On mine we do get about 42Mpg. But I’m very light on the throttle and I also use this
    https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/fuel-and-oil-additives/dipetane-1ltr-fuel-additive-147953.html

I’m not sure the Dipetane helps but I have always added it to my vans and don’t seem to get the DPF issues some people get and most of my trips are fairly short

weeksy

So the van is a happy place indeed 🙂

Drives lovely, goes well, quiet (for a van).. No clunks, rattles or bangs..

Yesterday i had a set of hook locks and anti-peel backet installed.. So that’s done.

But i’ve also got a Pragmasis ground anchor that i’m debating fitting (or returning). It does mean drilling 4 holes in the van floor and i’m not actually sure how much the ground anchor actually brings to the party overall. So i’m in a little bit of a debate on it.

a11y

i’m not actually sure how much the ground anchor actually brings to the party overall. So i’m in a little bit of a debate on it

It’ll slow them down but TBH if they’re already inside the van they’ve likely got cutting tools so any chain or ground anchor won’t stop them fully. I couldn’t face drilling into my van floor so simply have the meatiest motorbike lock chains through the anchor/lockdown points – yes, they’re attached with big bolts that a spanner would loosen, but better than nothing.

Now 25k miles in my 67-plate 2.0 Transit Custom 130ps and generally average 35-36mpg all-round. Best ever tankful was 39.9 mpg over 560miles Edinburgh to Helston – it was over 40mpg but the rolling hills on the A30 knackered that.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Q for the Transit drivers out there: are they galvanised in the newer models?

SirHC

But i’ve also got a Pragmasis ground anchor that i’m debating fitting (or returning). It does mean drilling 4 holes in the van floor and i’m not actually sure how much the ground anchor actually brings to the party overall. So i’m in a little bit of a debate on it.

More security, more better, makes that difficult conversation with the insurance company less painful. Mine stipulates the bike must be locked to something inside the car, so thats usually looped round one of the tie downs in the back.

Tracey

Glad your enjoying it. I wouldn’t want to be drilling the floor. We run the chains round the base of the seat. We also have an alarm fitted, the same as what the insurance insisted on for the camper. The blue flashing light in an annoyance but still a further deterrent.

ads678

What did you get in the end @Weeksy? Can’t see if you’ve said….

weeksy

2016 Custom.

RustyNissanPrairie

Q for the Transit drivers out there: are they galvanised in the newer models?

🤣

joebristol

I’ve no idea if do-able but could you find a local company who would weld in your ground anchor rather than having to drill holes?

I’d put it in one way or the other – if it’s a decent ground anchor and using locks above about 16mm shackles then it rules out bolt croppers as a way of stealing your bikes. They’ll have to use an angle grinder which is loud and still likely to take a couple of mins – a 16.8mm d-lock generally needs 2 cuts. If you have an alarm on the van and it’s going off all that time too then it all helps.

a11y

🤣

I should change my username to RustyFordTransit 🤣

To be fair, the current Transit Custom does appear to be fairing much better than previous Transits. I know that’s not exactly a good marker to use, but they certainly don’t seem anywhere near as bad.

mikertroid
    Free Member

🤣

Ah! I’ll stick with the Trafic; they seem to be pretty good body-wise, without the Transporter Tax! Although mine’s far from a show-pony.

sharkattack

Confused by the terror of drilling holes in a van. I’m about to drill hundreds of the things and they’ll all be deburred, rust proofed, painted etc.

I wouldn’t bother welding a ground anchor to a van. Wouldn’t be any stronger than 4 big bolts and a big, thick spreader plate and you might burn the thing down in the process.

weeksy

Due to the potential mud, mess, bacon 🙂

I thought i’d get some seat covers… rather than the £25 universal ones i went slightly more up to the £60 and fully fitted ones. They’re not completely wonderful, but they’re a good 9/10. It’ll at least mean we can not worry about destroying the inside as much as we might before.

I know 90% of it wouldn’t matter to 99% of people… but the van isn’t going anywhere soon, so will keep it nice for me and the laddo.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2o8x1tz]2022-12-29_11-17-15[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Tracey

Look good. We went with the waterproof ones that Aldi sell. Have been great so far. Usually fit them when we are riding and remove them afterwards.
    Abigale has the same in hers but since fitting then she hasn’t bothered removing them.

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2o9h8zE]2023-01-02_09-28-25[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Testing layouts still before heading out riding

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

That looks a bit excessive for a bike without an engine.

Take the middle one, rest the rear tyre against the outside pedal of the one on the left, handlebar against the side of the van and bungee it to the hooks.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Well, having stated my love for Trafics, mine cane up with an Antipollution fault. No codes. Local dealer has practically examined every component and there’s no obvious fault….DPF clean as a whistle as it’s doing plenty of good long runs.

Off to stealers next week to get fault sorted at great cost before deleting the whole system….what a total waste they are!

Think I might look at a smaller petrol van once sorted.. they’ve ruined the diesel engine for non-city dwellers by making it over-complex with Adblue etc. I get it for urban environments.

weeksy

That looks a bit excessive for a bike without an engine.

They’re only pull/cam straps not ratchet ones, so barely tied down really. But they’re neatly spaced so not hitting eachother etc. The only thing I need to reconsider is where the ‘stuff’ goes as when I’ve got the 3 bikes in like this, the stuff gets in the way of unloading bikes. But I’ll work it out in the coming months.

Just waiting for the carpet lining to arrive which will go on sides and wheel arches, but will mean I can velcro things onto wheel arches which will move them nicely out of the way.

2023-01-05_12-51-18

With the air con off it gets a decent mpg as well. It’s ace !

Tracey

Bikes in the back as near to the rear door and all the other stuff through the side door between the bikes and the bulkhead ?

weeksy

Bikes in the back as near to the rear door and all the other stuff through the side door between the bikes and the bulkhead ?

Maybe. But part of the tie down process is that the front wheel sits on the bulkhead which means it can’t go forward or back. I’ll experiment when it’s not raining lol.

Tracey

I’ve noticed from the photo that our eyelets are on the floor right at the rear and not up the side like yours.
    Have you planned how you may need to transport more than 3 bikes

weeksy

Have you planned how you may need to transport more than 3 bikes

It’ll be some of those Evoc covers to separate them. Then pedals off etc. But in honesty I don’t know if that day will come when we need more than 3. I did have 5 in it the other day but was only for 2 miles to the pub 😃

Tracey

Another money saving tip depending on the thickness and durability of the bike shroud is that you don’t need them on every bike for transit. Ie 2 shrouds for 3 bikes will suffice. The middle bike should be protected by the other two

weeksy

Another money saving tip depending on the thickness and durability of the bike shroud is that you don’t need them on every bike for transit. Ie 2 shrouds for 3 bikes will suffice. The middle bike should be protected by the other two

Yup, already thought that. I was going to get 2 so I could easily do 4 bikes then. Although I’ve got gym mats in the short term that would be fine for that.

Just waiting for the lad to get out of bed and off to Dyfi shortly

Tracey

Enjoy. We are dropping Abigales forks and shock off for servicing so everything will be ready for her trip

Not riding as its still banging it down here

monkeyboyjc

Hey @weeksy for some reason I’ve only just come across your thread. I’ve also been looking at vans I’ve the last few weeks as my old transit connect has become (even more) unreliable. I’ve gone a bit smaller than you with a 2019 2.0 Peugeot Expert. Ill only ever be transporting 2 bikes and tbh it’s really too big for its main use for my village shop. It was between an expert and a transit custom for me, but I preferred the drive and cabin of the expert.

We can compare at BPW on the 22nd 😂

weeksy

Look forward to it mate.

weeksy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oawUrb]2023-01-09_12-49-11[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oaAZFJ]2023-01-09_01-05-26[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oaAZHC]2023-01-09_01-05-32[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oaB7Lv]2023-01-09_01-21-02[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

monkeyboyjc

That looks rather flash – what have you used?

benp1

How does everyone find the carpet for robustness? I have my ply lining unfinished, which doesn’t look fancy but is really good for taking scrapes, knocks and mud/dirt. All sorts of stuff gets put in the back and I don’t worry about it damaging anything (all the seats have seat covers on). The carpet looks nice but most of the vans I see are a bit fancier than I’d like

a11y

If I was leaning/securing bikes against the sides in my current van I’d not have bothered carpet lining. I lined mine inc the bulkhead as my bikes are all fork-mounted in the back with wheels off. Muddy wheels do rest against the carpeted sides though and its holding up well.

Previous van I used yacht varnish when I first fitted the ply, very practical and stayed looking great. Unnecessary but nice, especially combined with cheap lino:

T5

weeksy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385023320100?var=652905507242

Just cheap carpet stuff and glue…

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 247 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.