• This topic has 43 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Rich.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Using your Debit Card in Europe.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Spain in June – should I buy Euros, or can I just use my Debit card when there?

Stoner
    Free Member

you can generally use your debit card no problem.
    Your bank will screw you on the exchange rate though.

stumpy01

And you’ll probably get charged for withdrawing Euro’s from a cash point.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Hmmm. Buy cash with a Debit card, I think. Ta.

martinhutch

You’ve got time to apply for an FX card which you can load with Euros and use at ATMs at a better exchange rate. I use Caxton FX, others are available…

Rubber_Buccaneer

Halifax Clarity credit card is good for me. No fees on purchases and no fees for withdrawing cash from ATMs. The exchange rate is good and the interest I pay on cash withdrawals is a reasonable rate which is pretty irrelevant since I can pay it off soon after the withdrawal using online banking should I wish. I just use it as I wish, no guessing what I need.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Quite a few places don’t take cards, so have some cash handy either way.

Sui
    Free Member

If you bank with Santander, you can move over to the “select” account (you get a fancy gold card) – this has zero fees for foreign use, as well as the credit card..

Mackem

Your bank might not charge you when you withdraw the money, but the Spanish one might. The charges vary a lot. Some are free, some 1 euro, some 4 euro. I can never remember which one, there should be charging info on the screen though.

nickdavies

If you bank with Santander, you can move over to the “select” account

Just looked at that, you can if you earn 5K a month net or have 75K in the bank! 😆

Cougar

FairFX. It’s the future.

plyphon
    Free Member

Halifax clarity card is the one, used mine all over the world – literally!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I use a mix of card and cash – mostly card, the rate isn’t great €1.22 but as I’m reminded everytime I look in the ash tray of my car, I own a pile of Euro and Swiss Franc coins which probably represent a greater % if my holiday spending money than the saving between using the Post Office €1.35 and FairFX €1.36

When I buy cash, I just walk into the Post Office, FairFx and whatnot are a tiny bit cheaper, but you have to add £7.50 on top for delivery and Euros are insanely competitive, there’s not massive savings to be had really.

mogrim

Just for the convenience and security I’d use a card, rather than changing large amounts of cash before you go. Not quite sure why torsoinalake claims that quite a few places don’t take cards, maybe 10 years ago but these days it’s a rare shop or restaurant that doesn’t. (Though quite a lot do have a minimum 10€ spend before they’ll accept your card).

Sui
    Free Member

nickdavies – Member
    If you bank with Santander, you can move over to the “select” account
    Just looked at that, you can if you earn 5K a month net or have 75K in the bank!

think they changed the criteria recently so you should be able to. Don’t understand the card, it’s the same number just gold, bit pointless really..

jon1973
    Free Member

it’s to remind you that you’re better than everyone else 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Your bank will screw you on the exchange rate though.

And some banks charge a flat fee for each withdrawal, which works out extremely badly if you repeatedly take out small amounts of cash.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m so sad I made a spreadsheet to put all the fixed charges and value related charges into. It then graphs the cost against transaction value for my various credit and debit cards. My holidays are just fun, fun, fun 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

just gold, bit pointless really.

Helps the muggers and thieves to identify targets…..

grantway
    Free Member

I have always recommended the Easy Jet Pre Pay Credit Card
    Its a no brainer and I use it mainly in Spain
    Also only pay in Euros when given the option on the card machine. and pay tips in cash only !!

DrJ

Another vote for Halifax Clarity here. No problems with it being accepted anywhere I’ve tried to use it.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve just been abroad with santander’s basic visa debit

I used it at cashpoints and cash registers in all sorts of establishments in China, NZ, Australia and the United Arab Emirates..

Incurred charges of a coupla quid here and there
    Had no problems in Greece 15 years ago either

prettygreenparrot

Halifax Clarity.

I tend to use it in suitable ATMs abroad too.

Found through the moneysaving expert linked posted earlier.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Long time ago, Spain, and in particular Barcelona, had a bad name* for pocket picking and credit card scammage. If this is still true, which I don’t know, then best to use a credit card. Can you get one that you’ll regard as temporary. You don’t have to tell the issuers that.

*Within the company I worked for everyone who went there, the entire team, were ripped off. These were people mostly well used to working abroad.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Not quite sure why torsoinalake claims that quite a few places don’t take cards,

Because in my experience, mainland Europe lags behind the near cashless UK society, so it’s always worth having the cash to pay for a meal out in your wallet, just in case.

br
    Free Member

FWIW I never use my debit card for anything other than taking cash out of a bank cash machine – and that is in the UK. Abroad I always use a credit card, and have both MasterCard and Visa just in case they only take one or the other.

The rate I don’t really worry about, more concerned about security and risk.

And before folk accuse me of paranoia, in +20 years of travelling the globe I’ve never had a problem.

sadexpunk

i got meself a halifax clarity card due to moneysavingexpert recommendations but dont know the best way of using it. we’re going to turkey and rhodes this year. am i right in thinking i can withdraw a few hundred quid over the course of a week and not get charged withdrawal fees? and so long as i pay it off within the month then theres no fee whatsoever?

same with paying for meals, shopping etc over there bit by bit? i could have say 20 transactions and not pay any charges as long as i pay off the balance when i get home?

thanks

ads678

Nationwide Flex plus account, decent exchange rates and no fees. Account costs £10 a month but also gives you family travel insurance, Inc winter sports and European breakdown cover, so it’s well worth it for me.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Another vote for FairFX, had mine for at least 5 years now…

gary

am i right in thinking i can withdraw a few hundred quid over the course of a week and not get charged withdrawal fees?

You’ll pay (a relatively low rate of) interest on cash withdrawals, depending on the rate they offered you on the card. If you really want to watch every penny you can use internet banking to transfer funds to cover the withdrawals (i.e. minimise the interest earning period)

ononeorange

Vote here for Caxton card. Can use it globally and control your fx rate.

wilburt
    Free Member

Just use a card same as you would in this bit of Europe.

sadexpunk

Halifax Clarity card. You’ll pay (a relatively low rate of) interest on cash withdrawals, depending on the rate they offered you on the card. If you really want to watch every penny you can use internet banking to transfer funds to cover the withdrawals (i.e. minimise the interest earning period)

is it better to withdraw a couple of hundred at once, or can you just withdraw bits at a time for the same interest fee? (not very money-minded, sorry)
    and i spose same for paying for meals etc. better to have withdrawn the money and have it in your pocket, or is it the same cost to pay meal by meal?

and do you mean once ive made a withdrawal or paid for something, its better to get straight onto wifi and use internet banking to transfer money from main bank acc to set balance to zero again?

thanks

EDIT: i know this thread is for Europe, but im off to turkey. same rules apply?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Whilst in lanzagrotty in April we took some cash, everything else went on the card. Was given the choice of paying in pounds or euros each time. Rates were good and no charges. Just hassle free.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I take a cash float for things like taxi’s and minor shop purchases (tacky holiday souvenirs) and will withdraw cash with my debit card to maintain it. But generally try to put as much on C.card as possible – far better exchange rate.

mogrim

I used my debit card in Europe (London, in this case) without problems last month. Didn’t have to worry about carrying a large amount of cash around, either.

sadexpunk

can i just ask another halifax clarity question please?

just been reading another MSE email about holiday spending and it still confuses me. i feel heartened that ive got a clarity card, but dont really understand why 😀

what confused me is about spending vs withdrawing money. apparently withdrawing money still charged say 20%ish interest rate until youve paid it off, whereas paying with the card doesnt attract interest as long as its paid off fully.

so am i right in thinking that if we go to greece say and withdraw £100, im paying interest still each day for say 3 weeks until i get my statement? and if the interest rate is 20%, how much extra would i pay? (its obviously not £20 as the 20% leads you to believe)
    but if i pay for £100 worth of meals, drinks etc on my card, theres no fees/interest at all, i just pay cost price and settle up when the statement comes through?

id prefer the first option as i believe it helps the small businesses over there to pay cash, so ill do that as long as the difference is only pence rather than £s.

thanks

EDIT: just seen this too from MSE which implies i could get money from my clarity card today at the best rate for a future holiday. is that right or am i reading it wrong? what would be the best way of getting euros today for a holiday in 2 weeks time?

thanks

drovercycles
    Free Member

as i believe it helps the small businesses over there to pay cash

Good on you for wanting to support small local businesses, first of all. However, the fact that the Greek government only gets a fraction of the tax they should due to all of the evasion going on, is a big part of why they’re in the mess they’re now in, I believe. Another angle to consider maybe…

Back to your question, yes, that’s how I understand it, and 3 weeks’ interest at 20% APR is going to be very approximately 1% so £1 on that £100 you hypothetically withdraw.

ahsat

+1 for Nationwide Flex Plus and travel credit card. Use mine all over the world with v low or no fees and v good exchange rate. Would take a lot to make me change. Customer service also v good. Always take some cash in case you can’t get any at the airport (this happened to me in New York – not ideal!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Using your Debit Card in Europe.’ is closed to new replies.