Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Used car purchase problem – has MOT but shouldn’t
  • kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Dodgy MOTs exist. I’ve seen some absolute rotters pass that never should have.

6 months down the line, there’s no chance of any recourse.

This is part of the risk of buying an older car unfortunately – if you aren’t prepared to get underneath and have a good poke around, you can get done.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No chance of recourse, as others have said if it’s a private sale.

You will just throw more money away. Spend it wisely and get the vehicle fixed instead.

That is the risk of buying a used vehicle. As other have said unless you are prepared to get under it yourself and poke it about, or pay for an inspection.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

why do you think “knowingly” is relevant? Is that required for someone driving an unroadworthy car?

I think there’s various definitions arround it. There’s the things they could do at a roadside check like bald tyres which you’re supposed to check yourself (and incur points/fine if you dont). Rust, emissions, broken springs, rusty exhaust, chipped windscreen, would all be an MOT fail but I don’t think you’d get a fine from VOSA at a roadside check.

As your friend demonstrates, there’s a reasonable chance that the average person just doesn’t have a clue.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks, interesting views (those who appear to have read the thread).

I’ve read many times that insurance lapses, you can get fined etc if your car is not roadworthy, it would be good to see a source for this having to be deliberate – that then relies on the honesty/mechanical nouse of the driver.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’ve read many times that insurance lapses, you can get fined etc if your car is not roadworthy, it would be good to see a source for this having to be deliberate – that then relies on the honesty/mechanical nouse of the driver.

It wouldn’t make any sense for there to be a ‘knowingly’ clause. Ignorance not a defence, etc.

Gov.uk

The MOT is only valid when it’s done. Get pulled over any time thereafter and it’s down to the driver to ensure the vehicle is roadworthy.

wzzzz
    Free Member

You’re too late, chalk it up.

All old vans have rust.

Get an mot and welding somewhere you trust or punt it on cheap if your conscience allows.

RustyNissanPrairie

Fixed it for you!

All old Transit vans have rust.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve read many times that insurance lapses

Yeah but it doesn’t matter how many times you read peoples writen thoughts on what they believe if there’s not a source.

ctk
    Free Member

Yep just get it fixed

matt_outandabout

Or worse sees car-unsavvy woman and does the teeth sucking, this’ll be a lot to fix routine.

I’ve had this when mrs_oab dropped one of ours off for MOT.
    They backed down on needing new headlights and springs when I turned up to show them how to adjust headlights instead of buying new ones, and showed them the first few staff cars also had rusty springs.
    Get a second opinion, get it welded and a fresh MOT.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just spoke to her,she’d been to 3 garages with quotes of £1-2K for the welding (& consistent opinion that the previous MOT was dodgy) and the van cost £3k. She’s going to chat to CAB about it.

matt_outandabout

That sucks. 🙁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Update: she called the seller who has offered to do the welding themselves – I suggested she accept this only with an MOT (pay half) and don’t get any underseal as she can ask her own garage to do so.

Not sure how this interacts with other welding that needs done but seems a good result to me.

Cheers all! – let’s hope it pans out…

nickjb
    Free Member

Sounds OK. Obviously get the new MOT from another garage

timbog160

I’d say it’s worth a go – not a bad result if the welding is up to the job. Good luck to her.

£2000 of welding on a £3k van though 😳

uwe-r
    Free Member

Anything she gets is a result. Buying a van for £3k is always a risk.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The good news is that that’s effectively an admission of guilt 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Story update: the seller made the repairs, actually more than needed for the MOT, but not to a great cosmetic standard. She hadn’t got an MOT yet.

I feel it’s not a bad result overall, car sellers can be decent!

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Used car purchase problem – has MOT but shouldn’t’ is closed to new replies.