Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • US to UK postage
  • sambob
    Free Member

Anyone got any idea how much it’d cost to send a frame from the US to the UK? Looking at a Santa Cruz Tallboy clearance frame, and have family in Vancouver that could be the US/Canada recipients, just want to know how much it’d then cost for them to send it to me. Would it get duty put on it if it was declared as a gift?

aracer
    Free Member

Would it get duty put on it if it was declared as a gift?

Yes. Unless they also lied about the value.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’m not sure if posting from Canada is the same as the US? The last frame I got from the US cost $235 or $265, I can’t remember which. That was with the USPS and was the cheapest option. You would still have to pay tax too, no tax on gifts is only upto $50 I think. Like I say this is from the US, Canada may be different.

sambob
    Free Member

Cheers, sounds less appealing when I could get a Horsethief/Spearfish for £800.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tax will be applied on entry plus handling fees
    As its brand new in the box it will probably get caught. I think the insurance value will have to tie in with the tax value too. Have a look at import rates before you commit as that may well be the price you pay. Anything less is a bonus not to be expected. Also it’s tax evasion which is morally wrong one worse than Starbucks and amazon which are technically legal. Think of all the nurses that won’t habeas jobs…. 😆 and a serious point consider warranty issues.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

USPS from the US will be $75 ish, but there are size limits. A 21″ hardtail will easily fit, but not sure of a susser. Check on http://www.usps.com It takes about 2 weeks.
    Canada Post will be MUCH more expensive, about 3 times the price, minimum, so if your auntie can post from the US then good!

Duty will be 20% VAT + 5% duty for bicycle components. Complete bikes attract 20% VAT +15% duty…

sambob
    Free Member

Doesn’t really sound viable. Shame really, but if anyone is going to the US have a look at the Santa Cruz US website, Carbon Tallboys are $1500…

darrimc30
    Free Member

Hi do what I did which was get the frame split into front triangle and rear end post them separately and describe them as replacement parts, worked fine and paid very little duty although was about four years ago but it was an intense slope style which wasn’t a light bike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘US to UK postage’ is closed to new replies.