Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Upper body training while sat/led down
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I just spotted IHNs weight loss thread on the other forum. I then weighed myself and I have out on 1/2 a stone in the last three months while I have been on crutches/sat down. Exercise is awkward with a leg cast and being none weight bearing. I have borrowed a mates powerball to strengthen my wrists while using the crutches.

Any suggestions for exercises to keep my core body strength up and fight the weight gain which I can do at home sat or led on the floor?

fasthaggis

Stamp licking ?

😆

Albanach
    Free Member

I’ve got a great shoulder complex weight training programme provided by a previous Bristol RFC fitness and conditioning coach which should be ok to complete sitting down. The good thing is the weights used are small 4-7kg. I found it great for posture and core. Let me know if you want a copy and I can send it on, it’s an excel file.

timb34
    Free Member

joemarshall
    Free Member

Juggling.

Seriously, when I went from 3 to 5 balls I developed noticeable shoulder and arm muscles suddenly as I was doing a lot of juggling. You get up a real sweat by doing it. It feels like it gives you muscles in a functional way, rather than in the brute force weight training way, which usually seems to aim to get particular silly muscles big so you look like Arnie.

Assuming you’re not already pretty good, you might not be able to do 5, as that is jolly hard sitting down, but learning to do 3 sitting down, and then 3 lying down on your back is a good challenge.

You need a large number of medium sized balls or beanbags. If you’re not very mobile, I’d recommend beanbags that are shaped so they don’t roll too far (eg.pyramids), as you’re going to be crawling around trying to catch them. If you get good at it, you can use heavier things, which gives you more arm strength, you can get massive beanbags that are something like 750g – juggling with those for any length of time is like a serious weight session.

Oddballs can sort you out with toys (either on the net or in Camden / Brighton):
    http://www.oddballs.co.uk

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Albanach – yes please, email in profile

I tried juggling once before. Let’s just say it wasn’t my most natural talent. I might try again though with bean bags instead of tin cans.

kimbers

you have to ask?

…..

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I had three months on crutches and that was the best arm work-out I ever had , triceps got a proper working .

Kryton57

Beer / coffee to mouth = biceptastic. 😉

eyerideit
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    you have to ask?

That’s a bit of a one sided exercise and to get any benefit you’d have to do it as intervals.

is there anything you can do seated to raise your HR enough for you start burning fat? I can only think of strengthening exercises.

wwaswas

is there anything you can do seated to raise your HR enough for you start burning fat?

Get a wheelchair from the Red Cross – they rent them cheap. Take it the local park. spend an hour pushing yourself round.

Albanach
    Free Member

WCA I will send that this evening.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I have seen folks on crutches sit on the floor and pedal an exercise bike with their hands.

Google tells me there are mini ones for just this purpose.

FieldMarshall

and fight the weight gain

Maybe cut out the 8 pints of real ale per night 😆

stevied
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Fielfmarshal , I cut down to eight pints to help but lets not get carried away

footflaps

Watch Drunken Master – lots of training tips in that. Get your other half to drop medicine balls on your abs from 6’…

zilog6128

Eat healthier and/or less. You are less active so you need less calories. Simple as that as far as keeping the weight in check goes.

As for core exercises, lean against a wall for support and plant both crutches firmly on the floor. Lift both legs out until they are at right angles to the body. Hold as long as possible. Repeat as many times as possible. (This is basically a hanging leg raise, but on crutches rather than actually hanging).

You could also get a bench and some dumbells, there are an absolute ton of chest/back/shoulder/arm exercises that you can do with that combo.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely get a wheelchair? Or a handcycle perhaps, indulge your bike fetish?

EDIT

Like this maybe

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I don’t want to invest too much in wheel chair/hand cycles until I have seen the Doc next Monday when I have a better idea of my future.

zilog – I know the maths which is why I have reduced the beer and lunch. I just want to know what to do that burns fat and maintains muscles. The dumbells and bench presses are okay for the muscle build but less so for the fat burn I would have thought.

Albanach
    Free Member

WCA that programme I just sent should be good (I think) for fat burning as its low weight, high reps.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cheers, got it.

i now need to find some improvised bar bells. Perhaps I up could reduce the weight and up the weights.

Albanach
    Free Member

i now need to find some improvised bar bells. Perhaps I up could reduce the weight and up the weights.

Get on freecycle there’s bound to be some fat overweight guy who got injured doing DIY that’s trying to get rid of some 😉

zilog6128

zilog – I know the maths which is why I have reduced the beer and lunch. I just want to know what to do that burns fat and maintains muscles. The dumbells and bench presses are okay for the muscle build but less so for the fat burn I would have thought.

Exercise is for getting/fit strong. Anyone who exercises to lose weight is setting themselves up for a fall IMO. The more you exercise, the more you need to eat. If you want to lose weight then watch what you eat. Sorry if you don’t like that answer, but that’s just the way it is!

molgrips
    Free Member

The dumbells and bench presses are okay for the muscle build but less so for the fat burn I would have thought

No, not really. The long slow cardio theory of weight loss is discredited.

A hard weight workout can boost your metabolism which leads to weight loss.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Upper body training while sat/led down’ is closed to new replies.