• This topic has 37 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Rolling Stones announce gigs in London
  • ski
    Free Member

Has anyone seen them live in the past?

Its one band I would love to see live, but, I guess we are talking proper money for ticket and do wonder if I would come away feeling slightly dissapointed?

What is the STW massive thoughts?

MSP

I think they are too old now. I saw James Brown in his latter years, and it was a big disappointment. My view now is, watch them at their peak or not at all.

binners

Considering you’ll probably have to remortgage your house to afford their ticket prices, I reckon you’d be better spending your money on someone whose recorded something decent later than 1973

DezB
    Free Member

I’d love to see this Rolling Stones

but not this Rolling Stones

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I saw them in Dallas, of all places, back in around…hmmm…1997. I wasn’t expecting much as I’d bought the ticket to see The Smashing Pumpkins & The Dave Matthews Band & another group which I’m too embarrassed about now. But they were the headliners and we were a bit mashed at that point so thought we’d hang around for them as we’d never see them again. Jaysus, they were awesome. Not sure I’d go and see them now though. Their new song seems kinda half alright.

nbt

Saw them at wembley stadium, also around 1997. Very last minute purchase of unsold (returned) tickets on the day of the show meant we arrived just as the support act (black crowes) were leaving the stage. Fantastic gig though

Junkyard
    Free Member

So crap they would fail the auditions for the counterfit stones as they cannot even do decent covers of their own songs

What DezB said basically

stevemorg2

Saw them in Cardiff a few years ago – they were dire! Worst gig I’ve ever been to – I think I only stayed because the ticket had cost me £60!

zippykona

My friends are very well to do. The only time I’ve felt jealous of them was when they saw mick jagger and a guitar playing an impromptu gig in a small bar on mustique.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

From that link to the beeb ….

Pre-sale tickets for the UK dates are already available with prices ranging from £106 – £406 including ticket fees.

Shame it’s the O2 means tickets will be rarer than rocking horse doings ( again )

Saw them in Leeds way back when …

imho a true Bucket List band ….

oh and also imho they are back with a bang !

Reluctant
    Free Member

I saw them in 1982 – just because all my friends were going and i thought they were a band i should see at some stage. They weren’t good then; lord knows what they’re like now 😆

crikey
    Free Member

Even more over-rated than the bloody Beatles.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Dezb has summed it up for me.
    Imo live rock n roll is for angry young men, not grandparents with free bus passes.

DezB
    Free Member

Remind me never to discuss music with crikey.

vegasdave
    Free Member

They’ve been rotten for years,nay decades.Just tragic,money-grabbing,has beens. Avoid!

ourmaninthenorth

I work on the principle that any band or musician with whom my uncle was friendly (Pink Floyd), worked for (Pretty Things), or shared a flat with (Brian Jones) are way past their best.

Avoid.

there’s nothing wrong with the odd time listening to music from the past, but keep moving things forward, eh?

YetiFoz
    Free Member

Saw them 10 years ago at the old Wembley Stadium, best gig I’ve ever been to. Muse a couple of years ago were a very close second.

If you’ve got the chance go.

crikey
    Free Member

Remind me never to discuss music with crikey. 🙂

It’s only music, there’s plenty of it about. I don’t agree with the fanatical hero worship stuff, with the ‘iconic’ band stuff, with the reverence that people hold any band in.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I work on the principle that any band or musician with whom my uncle was friendly (Pink Floyd), worked for (Pretty Things), or shared a flat with (Brian Jones) are way past their best.

Avoid.

there’s nothing wrong with the odd time listening to music from the past, but keep moving things forward, eh?

Top tenuous.

Can you start us off with an age, or something, at which you feel bands should no longer play?

RustySpanner

Funnily enough I’d just put Bruckner’s Romantic symphony on the CD player, a 1954 mono recording on Testament when I read this.
    Knappertsbusch conducting, btw.

I have now realised my mistake and have put last weeks X Factor on the
    ITV player.

Close shave, eh? 😀

Art is timeless, innit?
    Unless you think we should whitewash all those terrible old cave paintings?

druidh
    Free Member

Awsums – right there.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Saw them at Hampden on their last tour. They were very good, sure I’d rather have seen them roundabout 1970 but I’m sure they were better than they would have been a bit later in that decade. If I had the money I’d go and see them again but not in a stadium but I’d say the same for any band.

nickhart
    Free Member

i saw them in sheffield in 1999, yes it was a ‘they’ll never tour again’ they must be good thought process.
    utter waste of money for me, i walked out, if i wanted to hear old gits shouting and swearing all the time there’s plenty of working mens clubs still going.
    love some of their tracks but that’s it.

Fantombiker

I saw them in 1999 as part of a corporate thing. Didn’t like their music at all, in fact couldn’t stand it before I went.

They were pretty much the best band I’ve seen live. It was so atmospheric and exciting, it was such an event. I’ve seen lots of bands who were dull (eg U2, Sisters of Mercy), the Stones put on a real show, and They are great musicians, tight as a drum.

matty456
    Free Member

Yep love to see them but these o2 tickets are just too expensive, over £400 for standing per ticket!!! And thats if you can bet hold of them. Boo to the money grabbers. Plus dont want to sit on the roller coaster vertigo seating at the o2, wrong venue IMO!

binners

£400 for standing per ticket!!!

Seriously?!!! 😯

And Glastonbury tickets are how much? Just think how many decent, relevant bands you could see for that money

Ro5ey
    Free Member

OP … if you wanna see them then go will enjoy it … alot !!

They put on a GREAT show and the O2 will be ROCKING

Seen them for the last three tours…. The first one was at the old Wembley in 97 and from start, the opening chords of Fade Aawy, to finish it was hit after hit … we’ll apart from the bit in the middle where Mick goes off for a rest and Keith, love him, rambles on. Then saw them again at the old wembley I guess early 00s. Then the last one (which to be fair wasn’t a good as the previous two… although for my little sister it was her first and she loved it) at Twickenham

But hey, I like my music simple… foot stomping, heart pumping, life affirming rock n roll.

If that sounds like your thing, then you’ll be grinning ear to ear the whole night and most of the next day

DezB
    Free Member

Just think how many decent, relevant bands you could see for that money

Yeah, I make it about 40 gigs I could go to for that!! Wow, people with no interest in music really must have money to chuck away if those tickets sell.

mike_p
    Free Member

I saw the Stones at Wembley back in the 90s and they were past it then! Amusing though… glad I saw them but they really were a pale shadow of the band from the late 60s/early 70s, too heavily reliant on all the pyrotechnics to create a spectacle.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“relevant bands”

Relevant to what though ?

If you’re going to see the Stones your going for the PARTY… and a blooming good time you’ll have too.

If you want political comments on our social/economic problems…. join the others mouching about sullen faced at the back of the student bar.

Kryton57

Yesterday Jagger confessed he was doing this to “…earn more money than U2”

On that basis, I’m out.

DezB
    Free Member

£400 for a “party” ? Surrounded by rich dickheads in red trousers? sounds fab.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Nah red so last year … more like cobalt blue at the moment… suits our political leanings too. 😀

Ha… and what do you think the real kids think about a middle aged “grandad” in their midst at their relevant bands.

binners

If you’re going to see the Stones your going for the PARTY… and a blooming good time you’ll have too

Well… I’m just thinking of the absolutely epic party, and a blooming good time, I could have for the £800 it would cost for 2 tickets. London, in fact this country, nor the Stones would feature, I’d imagine. All manner of other things would 😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yep…. 800 quid is too steep for me and the Mrs at the moment. We’ve got other, sadly not better, things to spend it on. 🙁

My old man is talking about going though maybe he’ll shout me… and he really will look like your pic binners… but you know what? I’ve never seen him have such a good time as he does at a Stones show… worth 400 quid and more for me, that.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Im in.

Managed to pick up two ticket for my folks. Rang to give them the good news and the old girl, bless her, says, “Right, don’t argue with me…. you’re going with your Dad.”

😀

binners

The Stones have just announced that they’re going to broadcast one of these gigs on Sky Box Office for the bargain price of £15. Seriously. Fifteen dabs to watch some wrinkly blokes shouting, on your own telly? Dear God!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Brilliant! 😆

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Rolling Stones announce gigs in London’ is closed to new replies.