Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Unmarked police cars (legal question)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

If you can be caught speeding by unmarked police cars that are designed to be inconspicuous, how come speed cameras have to be clearly visible?

samuri
    Free Member

Because one is provided to catch speeders, the other is provided to deter them.

samuri
    Free Member

Have you just got nicked then?

Fraz
    Free Member

IF your talking about legalities

Legally any car can become a police car. No markings, blues or twos are needed for it to be used as a police car. Merely the fact it “is” being used at that time for police business makes it a police vehicle..

(its worthwhile bearing in mind that unmarked police vehicles have a multidude of uses.. not(and rarely) are they JUST for catching speeders)

With regards to safety cameras I beleive its easier to prove there usefullness if they are placed at specific points fully marked in order that they are slowing down folk by being seen rather than just catching folk…

Andituk
    Free Member

They don’t have to be, only if they want to keep the money.

Jamie
    Free Member

samuri:
    Because one is provided to catch speeders, the other is provided to deter them.

Succinct.

iDave
    Free Member

[hijack]

I’ve just had a case dismissed in court this morning, there is justice in this land……

Plod – we want to prosecute you
    Me – what evidence have you got?
    Plod – lot’s
    Me – let’s see then
    Plod – errr, you can’t
    Me – why
    Plod – dunno really, can’t be disclosed
    Me – wtf!
    Magistrate – yeah, wtf plod! case dismissed

8 months of sweaty bollox to get to that stage

[/hijack]

alfabus
    Free Member

there are guidelines I read at some point about whether of not you have to pull over for an unmarked car.

I think the gist was that if you don’t believe it is a real police car you should let them know that you’ve seen them, then drive to somewhere well lit and public – or even better, to a police station.

How this would work in practice, I don’t know. Likely to result in an american style shunt manoeuvre or a stinger 🙂

Dave

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

oooh tell us more? How come it even went to court? When did you first ask them for evidence?

GrahamS

Concealed surveillance equipment would be equivalent to “bugging” and be subject to the laws controlling that, whereas actual bobbies in a car is just yer basic law enforcement.

(I have no idea if this is true, I’m just speculating)

wwaswas

iDave – must be more to it than ‘We’d hoped you’d have pleaded guilty before it got to court’???

Fraz
    Free Member

alabus… that is indeed the general gist. However in reality what would happen is the vehicle would call for a marked station to arrive to stop you.

Idave.. dont know how the English system works fully but in scotland everything disclosable to the defence would be fully disclosed within the copy complaint (ie before the trail)

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Likely to result in an american style shunt manoeuvre or a stinger

WTF! If you don’t stop for them There is no way they’d be able to catch you with a stinger!

Drac

WTF! If you don’t stop for them There is no way they’d be able to catch you with a stinger!

WTF! If they’ve caught you why would they use a stinger?

alfabus
    Free Member

CM – yeah, I guess so… I was thinking maybe if they got carried away and rolled out the troops for an OJ Simpson style slow speed chase 🙂

Having been pulled over quite a few times, I don’t imagine the officer’s attitude would have been improved if I had waved cheerily out of the window to them, and driven on for another couple of miles to find a supermarket.

Dave

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

WTF! If they’ve caught you why would they use a stinger?

erm… they wouldn’t?

Drac

erm… they wouldn’t?

Exactly my point, so do you know how a stinger works? Because this WTF! If you don’t stop for them There is no way they’d be able to catch you with a stinger! makes no sense.

alfabus
    Free Member

I think he meant that they wouldn’t be able to use a stinger because there is only one car chasing and they are behind you…. they need to be in front and ready for you, which requires their mates to come and help.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

yes, I know how a stinger works!
    A lad up the road used to have one, I’d like to see how you / he / the police would stop or catch a car with it! Especially if the car was actually trying to get away.

Drac

Precisely Alfa which is why the comment There is no way they’d be able to catch you with a stinger makes no sense.

TooTall
    Free Member

http://www.gosafe.org/

For you molgrips. Might help you understand the (safety) cameras a bit better.

iDave
    Free Member

I made phone and written requests for the evidence to be disclosed.

Then it went to court – they didn’t disclose before or during, they just repeated the charge. So it was adjourned and they gave an undertaking to disclose all evidence before the next court date.

That was this morning, all they did was send a letter 2 weeks ago saying can’t be disclosed.

Magistrate stated that I had taken reasonable steps to see the evidence to allow me to make a plead, but plod had not provided. Case dismissed.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

And even if they radioed for the bloke on a stinger, he’d not catch you.

I wonder if you blokes have even seen a stinger or seen one in use!

Drac

yes, I know how a stinger works!
    A lad up the road used to have one, I’d like to see how you / he / the police would stop or catch a car with it! Especially if the car was actually trying to get away.

Clearly you don’t then.

They radio the directions a car is heading that they are pursuing, at a point where they know the car will head and has no other choice other officers will prepare the stinger trap. Once the car being chased is close enough the throw it across the road.

Drac

I wonder if you blokes have even seen a stinger or seen one in use!

Yes I have.

wwaswas

if they radioed for the bloke on a stinger, he’d not catch you.

you are rather assuming that every police car/bike in the county is behind him when the situation starts aren’t you?

alfabus
    Free Member

well… I thought I knew what CM meant, but now I am confused.

Are you saying that cars cannot be stopped with a stinger (which I believe is its primary purpose)?

Or are you saying what I thought you said, which was that one chasing car cannot catch someone with a stinger, because they are (by definition) behind?

Dave

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

There was a great to do in the media when the requirement to make cameras highly visible came in. When that law was changed abslutely nothing seemed to be said. I only found out about the change by chance when reading something. So watch out for a wheelie bin near you now housing a camera (they’ve been known in horse boxes).

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You’re all mad!!! Even Lance Armstrong wouldn’t catch me if he was on this

Fraz
    Free Member

Idave,.,. thats crazy!!

Presumably you were defending yourself??

In scotland certainly all info regarding the incident is on an SPR which the defence have access to..

Hey ho tho.. If it gets you off…

lol

And CM you must have the wrong end of the stick regarding theses stingers.. Drac speaketh the truth.

Dave
    Free Member

A stinger

Fraz
    Free Member

lol! Now thats an awesome stinger!!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Oh that! Yes, that would stop me.

meehaja
    Free Member

i love it when a joke backfires.

Drac

Ah I see it was a ‘joke’.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

So they Mr “Pious” Mol – have you been snapped then? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

The thing with cops is, there are loads of them. So they can organise and work together. Lots of crims seem not to realise this, if you go by Police Camera Action 🙂

I have not been stopped for speeding, I saw someone on the opposite carriageway this morning having been pulled over, as I cruised past at 70mph. I can’t help wondering why people get pulled over – speeding or something more interesting…

dicky
    Free Member

My understanding is that speed cameras only have to be clearly visible (ie painted yellow) under the hypothication scheme if the local force wants to keep the revenue from the camera. They don’t have to be painted yellow but, if they aren’t, then the revenue raised from fines goes to HM Treasury.

I could, however, be wrong…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Unmarked police cars (legal question)’ is closed to new replies.