Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Unlikely MTB injuries/incidents
  • alpin
    Free Member

got a cut above my eye brow from the handle bars. picked up the bike to carry it up hill and the bars/wheel spun with the bars swinging up from below. bled quite a bit considering it was only a small cut.

the best/worst one has to me my old friend Bradley.

we were about 8/9 and had been swimming. Bradley didn't bother to get changed and so wore his swimming trunks on the short ride home. don't know exactly how he managed it but….. he was standing as we slowed down for the lights. think he pulled the front brake too hard and went forward over the bars. when he stood up he was screaming and holding his crotch, blood pissing everywhere. he didn't say anything and left his bike in the middle of the road and proceeded to run home. i picked his bike off the floor and wheeled it home. by the time i got there no-one was home.
    phoned him up that evening and his mum said i should come round. what i saw was shocking.

he'd almost lost his penis. it'd got caught inbetween the brake lever and then scissored when he fell and let go. he said his penis was hanging off by a strand of skin.

never kept in contact long enough to find out from him whether it worked properly after that. horrible though. makes me feel ill thinking about it.

gizzardman
    Free Member

Drove a brand new 5 Spot and Zesty into a 'No vehicles above x height'
    metal barrier yesterday. Both on roof of car… gutted

trailmonkey

😯

What damage ?

samuri
    Free Member

I was changing my brake pads in a lake district car park, I put my hand into the boot of the car where i'd put the new pads and one of the leafs of the pad spring went straight under my nail, about half way in.

I've also experienced an anal tear from landing on the point of the saddle. That was an embarrasing hospital visit.

Spud

Came off a bike test riding it, suspension collapsed, pedal hit road and flung me off the bike. Bruises all over and a large cut on elbow and a cable tie cut in to the muscle on my calf, the first lot of 'glue' got wet an septic needing it scrubbed out before re-dressing. I got some odd looks when I limped back in to the shop! Luckily no head/ road interface as no helmet.

gizzardman
    Free Member

Car's ****! Zesty's fine (was facin other way) but my 5 spot's new Floats took the impact. Stanchions scrathed to bits along with the arch(?) of the fork. It basically ripped the whole of the roof rack clean off and ended up on the floor behind the vehicle! Think i may be insured so might look at claiming for the forks? Was a disstrous end to a great day up Cut Gate.

hicksville
    Free Member

I owned a dalmatian, now sadly departed, went with us on most mountain bike trips, great dog but clumsy.

Riding along a stream about 8 ft wide and 6ft deep, the dally decides he wants to cross but pushes me into the stream, I fall in and as I standing he jumps across using my head as a staging post/additional leverage. Catches my ear with his hind leg ripping my ear, rode back to the car like evander holyfield. The nurses who put the stitches in did laugh.

Riding along the dog get a whiff of deadness and starts to shoot off, he was about 16 months old and had got lost whilst tracking down dead rotten carcasses so I decided to cut him off, mis judged it hit a rut in front of him over the handle bars and ruptured my knee ligaments! He stayed with me as I hobbled and cursed.

Hell I miss that dog!

CurlyGurl
    Free Member

I have to stop reading this thread…… 😯

Dancake
    Free Member

I've also experienced an anal tear from landing on the point of the saddle.

weirdly, despite all the nasty stuff on this thread, that bothers me most of all…

walleater

THIS IS A BIT EMBARRASSING BUT I ONCE OVERJUMPED A JUMP ON A BMX JUMP, BENT MY NEW TITANIUM HANDLEBAR WITH MY BOLLOCKS AND RIPPED MY SCROTUM OPEN.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I'm not going to mention my MTB crash which hospitalised me, as it was neither particularly unusual or interesting. However if it's allowed I've got a few others which are far more interesting – one when riding the tandem (on road), one running.

To come back to the original theme, I got a bee sting in the corner of my eye. Not too horrendously painful at the time – the big problem was that we were touring, and by the following morning I couldn't open the eye – not really too clever trying to pilot a tandem in France when you can't see out of your left eye! What's worse we had a fairly tight schedule with only a few days to make the airport. Got some strong drugs from the doctor (stuff I understand isn't licensed over here), took a bus to get to our next hotel (fortunately that was due to be probably the most boring day of the trip), and the next morning I could just about half open it, so we set off for a nice trip through the mountains of the Massif Central!

At the start of the Bristol Rat Race a couple of years ago – literally within a few minutes of the start – I was just behind somebody else running along the pavement. Being the team nav, I wasn't despite popular theory looking at the map, but looking off to one side to see if a little cut through went. Anyway, chap in front stepped to one side to avoid a railing. I wasn't looking, and first thing I knew of it was when I ran flat out into the end of the railing. Not that this was any old railing – it had been bent down so that it ended in a point! Now let me just say that less than an inch to one side it would have been a lot worse. As it was I simply hit something pretty vital in the muscle/ligaments which you use to raise your leg at the hip. This resulted in my getting AA relayed home the next day as I couldn't lift my left leg to use the clutch (bizarrely I could still cycle, though it wasn't very comfortable).

NZCol

I took my helmet off after a hot summer race in 1990 i think it was. Bell helmet with a hook clasp thing. Went through my spokes, flicked me off, fractured skull – didn't have a helmet on see ….

stevomcd
    Free Member

Mountain bike holiday in Chatel. Back to chalet early evening, ditch helmet, armour, etc. then ride for 20mins up the road above the village to go for a wee rock climbing session. Finish climbing, late, dusky, tired, whatever. Pull out onto unmarked road to ride back down. Pull out on left-hand side. Accelerate to 40mph. Have head-on collision with car.

3 broken vertebrae and a shattered frame through the leg later…

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

All my MTB injuries are ordinary. Worst was a broken bone in my hand, or possibly lying unconscious on a dirt track for ten minutes before recovering my wits and finishing the night MTB ride to the local pub.

The road hurts more.

I rode my road bike to the top of the mountain on a beautiful spring day. It was so warm that I took off my jersey and tied it under the saddle with my spare tubular. I started coasting down the mountain, faster and faster. I was doing 40-45 kph, and then…

The sleeve of my jersey caught between the brake and the rim and stopped my rear wheel without warning. In effect, the bike was jerked right out from under me.

I went OTB and skidded on my bare chest down the road surface, honing off a major chunk. I was 30 km from home, I was alone, and now my bike was damaged also. It took a while, but I made it home in pain and thought I could tough it out, but later had to report to the hospital for bandages and pain meds.

coatesy
    Free Member

Sitting on a step,forks between my knees whilst fitting a tight crownrace with a slide hammer. Took a few hard taps and still not seated, decided a few really hard and fast smacks should finish the job, and on the return stroke the slide hammer slipped off and I had the steerer twang into my upper lip. Still got a scar 10 years on (and wonder how people manage to fit them with a bit of plastic waste pipe as recommended so often on here).

freeride_addict
    Free Member

this clip is pretty hilarious…..

…nearly garrotted by the lethal invisible electric fence, and caught on headcam too! (Just Forward to the end of the clip)

(no cows were injured in the making of this movie!)

http://picasaweb.google.com/trailaddiction.ltd/Video#5373087638316798210

thejesmonddingo

Where is that,I want to go there?
    Ian

stevomcd
    Free Member

Where is that,I want to go there?
    Ian

Looks like Mont Jovet. Those electric fences are a bugger. One strand of white cord. How the **** are you meant to see them? I've annhialated a few, fortunately they're usually at head-tube height and you go straight through them!

freeride_addict
    Free Member

thejesmonddingo ….its in Les Arcs, well sort of! (Its not exactly IN Les Arcs, but this clip was filmed by guys staying with trailAddiction in Les Arcs, on one of their backcountry trips.)

By the way, that trail carries on for, oh, about 30km in total! And yes, it is indeed as good as it looks!

Boo hoo Im now crying into my keyboard, I want to go back! 🙁

stevomcd
    Free Member

freeride_addict: It's **** miles from Les Arcs, but worth the trip! I actually prefer the other descent from the top, which has loads of (ridiculous) switchbacks. That one almost gets kind of dull after a while… 😉

DezB
    Free Member

It was a weird accident tht got me into MTbing – my mate came to work with his face all smashed in and a big black eye. He was fiddling with his gears and went face first into a gate. "I want me some of that fun!" I thought.

My oddest one was working in my garage. Wife's old Cannondale frame decided to fall off the wall and cut my eye open. Very nearly knocked me out. Sold it (to Zedsdead, IIRC) shortly after. The bastard (not Zedsdead, the Cannondale).

freeride_addict
    Free Member

Hmnm, Stevomcd I dunno, not THAT far from "Les Arcs". Well, where we were staying (with trailAddiction) which is kinda on the RHS (on the trail map) of the system, it took about 2 hours to work our way over using the lifts (taking in some other superbly sweet singletrack on the way I must add!) with a bit (read: significant!) of a climb at the end. yeah, it IS MILES from Bourg St maurice / Arc 1600 though if thats what you mean.

freeride_addict
    Free Member

actually one of those other posts reminded me of the time a mate crashed off the side of a steep forrested hillside. It didnt look that bad, but by GOD he was screaming….

…..then we realised the poor guy had crashed into a wasps nest – infact he had crashed THROUGH it and ripped it off the tree. they were none-too-happy wasps, quite obviosuly.

His whole face swelled up like a melon where they got inside his full face. OUCH.

Man, I have nightmares about that stuff.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Hmnm, Stevomcd I dunno, not THAT far from "Les Arcs". Well, where we were staying (with trailAddiction) which is kinda on the RHS (on the trail map) of the system, it took about 2 hours to work our way over using the lifts (taking in some other superbly sweet singletrack on the way I must add!) with a bit (read: significant!) of a climb at the end. yeah, it IS MILES from Bourg St maurice / Arc 1600 though if thats what you mean.

Ah, I didn't realise the TA guys rode that one during the chairlift season. We usually only do it as a backcountry week trip, driving round and all the way up the dirt road to the refuge.

I love that trail, it's got to be the longest continuous strip of singletrack I've ever seen.

windowshopper
    Free Member

Came home from a ride. Leaned bike against wall of house by only its handlebar end. Turning away I saw in my peripheral vision that it was starting to fall. I lunged towards it to catch it by the saddle, but all I did was thrust my forefinger into the saddle with a force that couldn't have been worse had I tried to jab the brick wall. Cue temporary agony and huge bruising and swelling. Even today (3 months later) that finger is stiffer than the others.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Unlikely MTB injuries/incidents’ is closed to new replies.