Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 7,681 through 7,720 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
  • politecameraaction
    Free Member

least Reform voting seat in the UK…Standouts seem to be:

Edinburgh North and Leith 3.7%

Islington North 3.5%

Bristol Central 3.1%

Hackney and Stoke Newington 3.1%

Interesting that these are all constituencies where there is another protest/anti-establishment candidate ie SNP, Corbyn, Green, Abbot.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Will the Russian embassy move to Clacton? Well, it’s true that historically the search for warm water ports has been a strategic priority for Russia…

In any case, the UK election is over. It’s been a massive success for Labour under Starmer, and that’s undeniable by anyone outside the Corbyn-Galloway-Abbot supernatural reality distortion forcefield. It’s also been a huge success for the Lib Dems and Greens and Reform. And it’s a well-deserved drubbing for the SNP and Tories who should reinvent themselves as sensible, transparent European republican and centre right parties respectively…but probably instead they will give in to the worse grievance neuroses of their core members and go completely batshit.

Cheerio!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Interesting that these are all constituencies where there is another protest/anti-establishment candidate ie SNP, Corbyn, Green, Abbot.

That was my thought about what the poster was implying.

No reform candidate here, and Labour won (Early and Woodley, predominately 70/80s new town suburbia in Reading).  It was very close though, 850 votes in it. I’m sort of hoping that a) now that there’s a result, it won’t be a Lib Dem target so tactical voting can happen. And B, a future Reform candidate may split the Right vote.

robertajobb

Labour could have seen IDS out on his arse too if not for the stupidity of Faiza Shaheen deciding to run as an independent instead of swallowing her pride after being axed by Labour for her agreement with anti-semitic comments. Because as a result she gifted the seat to the right wing. Just self-promotion on her part, putting herself over the needs of the poor in the constituency.

CountZero

Lamp is either Russian, or ironically given his username not very bright…

As my dear mum used to say about such subjects, “as dim as a TocH lamp…” ?

Chippenham has gone LibDem, as I hoped/expected. This is pretty amazing, considering it’s political history, which goes back to the 13thC.

In 1918 it voted in Victor Caziel, a Unionist, and quite a remarkable man, as he was fairly openly queer, and became hostile to the Nazis against the national feelings during the 30’s, after he saw what was happening to Jews and gays in Berlin.

In 1922 the town went Liberal, then Caziel again in 1924, he then changed to Conservative in 1931, and the town stayed Conservative until 2010, when it voted LibDem, then Conservative in 2015.

ernielynch

Labour could have seen IDS out on his arse too if not for the stupidity of Faiza Shaheen deciding to run

Surely Labour could have seen IDS off if it hadn’t been for the stupidity of the control freaks at Labour headquarters?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8vv50mm424o

roli case
    Free Member

The Lord Ashcroft polling is out, which gives us the best idea of the demographic breakdown of voters.

If you’ve seen these before you’ll know it really hammers home how reliant the Tories always are on the pensioner vote.

Unsurprisingly this year they’ve been annihilated among the under 65’s, but still won among the over 65’s.

I wonder if the old adage that people drift to the right as they age will remain true for gen’s x and y, having just spent 14 years witnessing first hand the joys of a Tory government?

Reform voters also generally older and from the lower socioeconomic classes.

Lots of other insight:

How Britain voted and why: My post-vote poll

nickjb
    Free Member

The Greens aren’t a protest vote in Bristol. They are the party that represent what we want. They have already had a good showing in previous elections and have a majority in the council.

I’d say the thing those places have in common is that they are nice places to live. Maybe in a cool/ hipster way. Also all areas that have been a bit run down but are now gentrified

singletrackmind

Would being able to vote online eg Facebook be a more modern , demographic friendly way to get more votes and better spread than the current system.

I voted in person and felt like being questioned by border control. Even before getting in . Do you have your id ?. Can I see your id ? Can you please confirm your address. Etc

No wonder people don’t bother

CountZero

If you’ve seen these before you’ll know it really hammers home how reliant the Tories always are on the pensioner vote.

Unsurprisingly this year they’ve been annihilated among the under 65’s, but still won among the over 65’s.

I wonder if the old adage that people drift to the right as they age will remain true for gen’s x and y, having just spent 14 years witnessing first hand the joys of a Tory government?

Not with me they ‘king didn’t! Speaking as someone who’s 70 in three weeks.

ransos
    Free Member

The Green candidate Carla Denyer was officially endorsed by ‘The Muslim Vote’.

She was popular from her time as a city councillor, had a thumping majority, and the constituency includes the more affluent and less diverse parts of Bristol. I very much doubt that the endorsement was a significant factor in her victory.

dissonance

Would being able to vote online eg Facebook be a more modern , demographic friendly way to get more votes and better spread than the current system.

The hassle of setting up a secure system would be far more cumbersome than the current system. Good for Russia, sorry, Reform though.

I voted in person and felt like being questioned by border control. Even before getting in

Outside it is more likely to be party activists who check off the people who vote against the list of people who said they were going to vote for their party so they can go and knock on the doors of those who havent.

Although guess if it was looking busy someone official might be asking about ids to save you wasting time.

I cant say it was overly onerous. One person just inside the room asking for street so she could send me to the right set of desks. Then street name and number plus name. Finally a quick wave of the driving licence.

It would be nice if the id would get dropped since it was just an attempt at voter suppression but not really border control.

ditch_jockey

Taking back control of our polling booths?

Characterising the SNP as a ‘protest vote’ seems somewhat simplistic, if not downright wrong; they’re the party in power at Holyrood. They’ve just had a hell of a drubbing in the Westminster election, which I suspect is, to some extent, a massive warning shot fired over their bows for the Holyrood elections in 2026. If their leadership, and membership, can take that on board and focus their minds on the ‘day job’, they might be able to stave off some of the kicking that might otherwise come in 2 years time. In any event, I’d imagine that the most likely outcome will be a return to some form of coalition government at Holyrood, made up of some combination of parties that isn’t Labour / SNP. As a Scottish voter, I’m disenchanted with the SNP’s performance of late, but not inclined to forget that it was Scottish Labour’s dicking about, motivated by their implacable hatred of the SNP, that effectively delivered us the shambles of a Brexit settlement we ended up with.

Daffy

Put a cap gains tax on every house sold regardless of if moving home.  House prices will stabilise at around their current level and will increase only inline with inflation.  The tax will stop rampant growth and will mostly fade away over time eventually becoming something similar to stamp duty.

ratherbeintobago

Rumour has it that the SNP have conceded in Inverness, Skye and West Ross-shire which is the last outstanding result. Has a nice feeling to this as it’s the successor to Charles Kennedy’s seat, and 72 is a much more pleasing number than 71.

bails

would be nice if the id would get dropped since it was just an attempt at voter suppression

I was at the polling station for all of about 3 minutes and saw someone turned away. She didn’t drive, didn’t have a bus pass and her passport was off for renewal. She was in her work* uniform and tried to use her work ID but obviously wasn’t allowed.

*Quasi/ex-public sector, probably one of the biggest organisations in the country.

mattyfez

I voted in person and felt like being questioned by border control. Even before getting in

My experience was very different, although to be fair I had my driving licence card and polling letter out before I got to the desk, I was in and out in probably less than 1 min, like a voting ninja!

I may have given the box a little slap as I put my slip in, and quietly uttered ‘eff the tories’ as I did a quick pirouette and high-tailed it out of there!

ThePinkster

Jonathan Pie does it again!

Sandwich

This is magical thinking. It will never become unimportant that the UK and French governments allow organised crime groups to land 400 people a week without controls. It will never be sensible for the solution to low paid, low productivity jobs being enabling employers to do more of the same through more immigration. It will never be possible to build our way out of a housing crisis if the population is growing half a million per annum.

It is not magical thinking. Many of the problems are financial and money will solve them, be that NHS, social care or a lawful and timely means to have an asylum application considered. If it is made possible to get here lawfully then the boats get stopped or had you forgotten that the last shower removed all means of being considered for entry?

ChrisL

From Lord Ashcroft’s article:

vv

So the 55-64 and 65+ demographics both voted for the Tories more than the average result. 55-64 includes older GenX, so it might not be just the Boomers who like to vote for them. Every younger demographic voted more for Labour than the average, but that was particularly pronounced amongst 25-44 year olds. The Green vote was definitely at its highest amongst the young and dropped off quite a lot with age. I wonder how much that’s to do with the young being more environmentally minded and how much it’s due to youthful idealism, compared to more jaded and possibly more tactical older voters?

Classwise, the ABs, C1s and C2s all voted Tory as much as or more than the average, only the DEs votes for them less than the average, which isn’t quite what some comments on here sometimes imply was expected by some. Even when you group the Tory and Reform votes together their voteshare amongst C2s was higher than it was with the DEs and C1s were similar. ABs voted for Reform the least but were more likely to vote for the Tories than the average.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Labour could have seen IDS out on his arse too if not for the stupidity of Faiza Shaheen deciding to run as an independent instead of swallowing her pride after being axed by Labour for her agreement with anti-semitic comments. Because as a result she gifted the seat to the right wing. Just self-promotion on her part, putting herself over the needs of the poor in the constituency.

Well that didn’t take long for the sore winners to come out.

theotherjonv

I sympathise with the need to have voter ID and the impact that has on some people / sections of society. My passport’s out of date (2021!! ran out in Covid and I’ve not needed it since) and I had a mild panic last week about what if I couldn’t find or lost my DL, so I applied for a free, simple online form, voter registration. Again, not totally easy as you need internet, to be able to take a photo, and so on but if you do have that then it was a 3 minute job and it dropped though the door a couple of days later.

Anyway – apologies if already done, there’s been a lot of traffic today and I can’t trawl all the way but tweet of the day for me is Tim Farron:

We have recalled Agent Truss from the field, her work is complete.

Poopscoop

Code name: Cheese Dream is ever vigilant thought and when the country needs her again… she will not be found lacking.

martinhutch

I thought Tim Farron was raptured years ago. Nice to see him back doing God’s work.

somafunk

Well that didn’t take long for the sore winners to come out.

I imagine Netanyahu will be rubbing his grubby little fingers together with a committed zionist in #10, I wonder what starmers views on the expansion of settlements will be, if he has any views that is.

richmars

For info, your photo ID can be expired, so long as the photo looks like you.

piemonster
    Free Member

Code name: Cheese Dream is ever vigilant thought and when the country needs her again… she will not be found lacking.

In the meantime she is getting a nice sculpture as a thank you.

Incredibly life like.

convert

Didn’t make sense until I remember she started as a Lib Dem – Brilliant!

His constituency speech I thought was very impressive too.

Poopscoop

I feel it captures her prodigious intellect somehow.

I could lose myself in those eyes. Haunting.

slowoldman

mmmm, adding together the vote share gives a different story. Tory 24% + Reform 14% is greater than Labour 36%.

If you’re going to create coalitions I would point out Lab + Lib is 45% and they could probably also rope in the Greens so up to 52%.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

surely Truss’s code name is ‘pork market’?

BillMC

It’s a mistake, made by politicians as well as some on here, to dismiss the Gaza issue as ‘the Muslim vote’. Ceasefire protests have a diverse support and to fail to recognize that could be costly to supporters of the genocide as the election has shown.

ernielynch

She was popular from her time as a city councillor, had a thumping majority, and the constituency includes the more affluent and less diverse parts of Bristol.

I don’t doubt that but I was specifically pointing out that the Muslim Vote had endorse her and that the Green Party’s pro-Palestine position is well established, so Daz’s comment concerning pro-Palestine candidates winning seats was valid, even if she is Green Party member rather than an independent.

Although I will concede that Daz probably overemphasized the point because as you point out other factors also came to play.

Edit : In the Croydon constituencies with high Muslim populations the Labour vote fell fairly significantly and the Green vote increased quite significantly. In these areas the Muslim Vote officially endorsed the Green Party candidates. So whilst it won’t have been the only factor it undoubtedly was one factor.

Poopscoop

andylaightscat
    Free Member
    surely Truss’s code name is ‘pork market’?

That’s her NATO code name.

the-muffin-man

Anyone following the No.10 Twitter feed – he’s actually putting people in cabinet jobs who have actual experience in their field!!

tjagain

PCA.  SNP are the establishment

imnotverygood

It’s a mistake, made by politicians as well as some on here, to dismiss the Gaza issue as ‘the Muslim vote’. Ceasefire protests have a diverse support and to fail to recognize that could be costly to supporters of the genocide as the election has shown.

I’m sure there were quite a few people whose vote was influenced by the Gaza situation, however the stats show that the Labour vote was depressed in areas which there were significant Muslim populations. Those areas where independents won (apart from  Corbyn) correlated with large numbers of Muslims.

theotherjonv

Interesting (and good) appointment as Minister of State for Prisons, Parole and Probation. James Timpson will become Lord Timpson so he can attend meetings and cabinet.

And Patrick Vallance will be science minister.

Picking people with genuine experience in the areas and enabling them to contribute rather than positions for mates and those that will further your own political needs.

molgrips
    Free Member

still a sizeable number of voters who haven’t had quite enough of that nonsense.

To you, Reform and this Tory govt might be the same, but to a great many people a vote for Reform is a vote for change.

tjagain

Not with me they ‘king didn’t! Speaking as someone who’s 70 in three weeks.

Old fart

Viewing 40 posts - 7,681 through 7,720 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.