Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 255 total)
  • UCI Downhill Mountain Bike World Championships on the BBC [contains spoilers p4]
  • chrismac

Look at the team that has got it right with the 29r (v10) they worked with Greg to get it right, it was driven together to develop the right bike

Its a shame enve dont put the same effort into making wheels that keep his tires on. Its also not doing much of a job in promoting the benefits of all these inserts that are all the rage at the moment.

eb2429
    Free Member

In general if you could say DH specific bikes are a small percentage of a brands bike sales.

Stupid question coming up:

Would the manufacturers sell more bikes if they raced with Enduro with marketing around “even capable in DH CUP”? What I mean is I guess they don’t sell many DH bikes due to the very specific intended use? Or does it trickle down sales to other models in the range regardless?

I understand they wouldn’t necessarily win with a less specific bike but being competitive for example top 10 or 20 would that be a massive sales pitch?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s an awareness thing, this is massive marketing for these guys. See also SRAM & Shimano who had a massive presence there

AlexSimon

I’m guessing another 500 Hightowers were sold just after announcing the DH 29er V10. It just removes doubt.

Speeder

Disappointing race that I thought. It was great to see Bruni win again really chuffed for him but gutted for Sik Mick you could see he was gutted at the end getting another silver.

As for the women it’s always disappointing when someone lucks into the win. Hare and tortoise and all that. Felt very short changed that it wasn’t a fast run that won it.

nickc

when someone lucks into the win

Seriously? are you unsure how this racing malarky works? 😆

patriotpro
    Free Member

I also wondered why more didn’t try it on an Enduro bike.

Definitely this.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Would the manufacturers sell more bikes if they raced with Enduro with marketing around “even capable in DH CUP”? What I mean is I guess they don’t sell many DH bikes due to the very specific intended use? Or does it trickle down sales to other models in the range regardless?

Possibly, I think at the moment aside from the ones who do it for the love of it justify WC DH partly as R&D (it seems a lot of new Enduro bike are scaled down versions of their WC bikes) and brand awareness.

As above though, how long before they meet in the middle – 170 even 180mm travel is becoming the norm for Enduro bikes, whilst the DH bikes are coming down in travel to accommodate bigger wheels. Will there be a time when they have the same frame for both and just a tougher build for DH?

chakaping
    Free Member

Some of those pro DH bikes won’t weigh much more than a run-of-the-mill enduro bike anyway, and there are still enough courses on the calendar where the travel and geometry will be a big help.

scruff
    Free Member

Coverage was poor on the BBC, mainly to the camera positions sorted by a local company payed by the UCI. I understand it’s a literal jungle but surely as it’s on BBC and HSBC ‘sponsor’ the british team to get more of the general population watching, but it was pretty dull, miss the first two thirds of the course, trees in lines of sight and then open pedal fest’s. So many even amateurs MTB films have amazing camera work, drones, zip lines and what not. Does the UCI put some effort in for the world champs? Biggest possible audience for non road or track cycling event? Use a venue that gives good viewing possibilities even if it’s a bit too bike park? Make it easy to watch?

No. FFS Canadians had to use a VPN to watch!

walleater

Good morning Scruff.

No. FFS Canadians had to use a VPN to watch!

This fake Canadian watched it on an on-line Danish TV channel! What a joke.

Speeder

nickc – Member
    when someone lucks into the win
    Seriously? are you unsure how this racing malarkey works?

This was no Danny Hill style Champery demolition from a podium regular, it was 5+ seconds down at the first split pace and that makes me sad.

But as you say a win is a win whatever happens and she’ll be a World Champ forever. Good luck to her. I hope that this gives her the confidence to start getting on the World Cup podium regularly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Managed to get some unseen footage from the UCI while they were all at the bar Sunday night…
    [video]http://vimeo.com/233434455[/video]
    [video]http://vimeo.com/233433649[/video]
    On a par with the live feed?

oikeith

Would like to have seen a post race Wyn TV from this race too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s coming, he was out with the camera somewhere

Sunday night had a few parties going on, think the Masters boys were in the other one….

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 255 total)

The topic ‘UCI Downhill Mountain Bike World Championships on the BBC [contains spoilers p4]’ is closed to new replies.