Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ubuntu WLAN help
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Hello.

I'm trying to get the WLAN card working on my Medion PC since I've installed Ubuntu on it. No probs with the network/security as I can connect with other devices.

I can see the network but it just times out after a while when I try to connect, so I thought I'd try the XP driver and using Ndiswrapper. The card is a Azure Wave AW-NU222, but when I try to download the drivers (from the Medion website amongst other places) I just get the Windows Executable rather than an .inf file, which is what I need (I think) since the only files which Ndiswrapper recognise are inf.

Any general advice? or any decent sites where I can download the inf driver from? been messing around for ages now and going around in circles.

cheers,

Jon

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

can you plug in via the wired network and then use update manager, see if that fixes it? had a quick goodle and it looks like others are having the same problem with that card.

jon1973
    Free Member

Yes, I'm on the Linux PC now via the wired network and I've run all the updates, and I get the same thing. I noticed it seems to be common, but I can't find much by way of a solution that works. Annoying, cos I can see all the networks in the surrounding area, so something is working – just can't connect. Cheers.

samuri
    Free Member

That card is based on the ralink chipset. It *should* work out of the box, it's well supported in Ubuntu and I'm not convinced it's a driver issue.

Can you associate with any other access points? Try taking it down macdonalds or something.

If you really want to update your drives manually…
    try this.
    http://locoteam.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=960642

Waderider
    Free Member

Hello jon.

I've come across this problem before on my Eeepc and it required me to install a new driver. The actual hard part was finding somewhere on the net where someone had posted the solution. (In my case the solution was here – sorry not much help for you, but the point is you can resolve these things).

This is a useful page. The key point is that it is not important who manufactured your wireless card, but who made the chip that sits on the card and does the work. You need the driver specific to the chip. So the first thing is to go to accessories/terminal and input "lspci -v | less" and go from there.

If you can't identify what chipset you're using from the output, post it up and I'll take a look.

There is a shortcut that can sometimes solve your problem, that involves switching off wireless security and instead filtering access by MAC code. This is still pretty secure – only works if your driver issue is related to security though. This is second best though, and affects all computers on the network that attach by wireless – you'd need the MAC address of each computer on the network and change security settings on them all; as well has set up your router to filter. But I digress………

*EDIT – providing Samurai's post above is for the correct chipset, that could well be your fix.

rootes1

ha! and people think linux is a finished product…

like in windows land when people say 'have you tried turning it off and on again'…

in linux land the phase is 'ok so open up a terminal session and…'

Waderider
    Free Member

rootes, I'm more than happy for you to keep using Windows. Enjoy second best 🙂

Cougar

I'm not a huge expert when it comes to Linux, however if you want I can download the .exe and see if I can extract the files for you, if that would help?

samuri
    Free Member

ha! and people think linux is a finished product…

like in windows land when people say 'have you tried turning it off and on again'…

in linux land the phase is 'ok so open up a terminal session and…'

Well considering there are thousands of proprietry motherboards with a hundred proprietry cpu's and tens of thousands of proprietry peripherals with which both OS's usually work pretty well, I think there's very little cause for complaint. I can't think of any other operating systems that are so good at integrating such a wide range of different hardware.

Can you?

Cougar

Can we please not get into a Windows vs Linux argument? No-one's ever going to change their minds and there's only so much tedium I can take before I eat my own spleen in desperation.

jon1973
    Free Member

@ samuri and Waderider – thanks a lot for your help – useful stuff, I'll have a play around.

@ rootes1 – no one is trying to convert you 😉

I'm not a huge expert when it comes to Linux, however if you want I can download the .exe and see if I can extract the files for you, if that would help?

That would be very helpful Cougar.

Medion Driver Support

My MED s/n 14575010030888 – will take you to the right config page.

My email is in my profile….

Thanks for your help.

samuri
    Free Member

Can we please not get into a Windows vs Linux argument?

I don't think rootes is a fan of either to be honest, I can't imagine what kind of computer he thinks is best. No doubt it'll be very shiny and have a picture of some fruit on the back.

Cougar

(though as others have said, it doesn't sound like a driver issue)

luked2
    Free Member

I would think that if it's just a standard ralink chipset, then the Medion drivers are just going to be unhelpful.

Search for linux ralink drivers, install them and see what happens.

Running 'dmesg' might offer a few clues. If you think it might be useful, you're welcome to email me (blind leading the blind, and all that).

jon1973
    Free Member

Appreciate all the help.

Thanks Cougar for taking the time to extract those files – I'll give it a go. Although I think you might be right about it not being the drivers.

@Luked2 – thanks for the offer of help – I may well get back to you.

rootes1

Rootes1 computer? What ever is lying around at the time and works – xp at work and w7 on my mini thinkpad, would like an apple, but they are overpriced and a bit gay. i use windows, but only as it comes with the computers i use – it works, 7 is a big step forward, perhaps i should try linux again, been a few years and last time the distro's were a bit gash…

What is amusing is the reaction to my post above, which was neither pro or neg, just a comment i what you hear.. I.e. That open up a terminal session is to linux what turn it off and on again is to windows..

Anyway should all migrate back to a vax system… Haha.. Anyhow hope OP sorts it, you would be better off trawling the linux forums though, bound to be the answer on those. What you would also best doing is to find out what the wlan is based on as someone has pointed out and getting the drivers for that instead of going to medion who are a windows licensee like dell.

jon1973
    Free Member

Thanks rootes1 – I haven't had much time over the past couple of days to really play around, but I'm sure I'll get it sorted. As others have said, I'm beginning to thinks it's not driver related.

Just for fun though…

Waderider
    Free Member

And I'm fairly confident it is driver related!

(just passing by)

samuri
    Free Member

What is amusing is the reaction to my post above, which was neither pro or neg, just a comment i what you hear..

My comment was entirely positive about both operating systems.

jon1973
    Free Member

I installed Wicd Network Manager to see if this gives any more information on why it doesn't connect.

On the face of it looked like a security problem as it was complaining that the password was bad. I tried disabling the encryption for a while and then connect, but it now complains that it can't find the ip address.

samuri
    Free Member

Have you tried uninstalling wicd and then conecting without encryption?

jon1973
    Free Member

Have you tried uninstalling wicd and then conecting without encryption?

just tried that now but it times out after about 30 seconds and tells me I am not connected.

samuri
    Free Member

Stupid question, does anything work with your wireless network?

If yes, then I'd begin to suspect your dhcp client on Ubuntu. Did wireless work before you installed Ubuntu?

jon1973
    Free Member

yes. it all works. I have a Windows Laptop, PS3 and Wii that connects thro the wireless network. My (now Linux) PC had Vista installed, and connected without a problem.

I'll have a read around on the forums about the dhcp client. cheers.

samuri
    Free Member

ok.

dhclient comes as default on ubuntu. It *does* have some compatibility issues with some dhcp servers but it's normally the windows based ones (because microsoft have always implemented a less than standard offering). You might want to try dhcpd as an alternative.

Waderider
    Free Member

A further post.

Regarding my second reply above, and confidence on it being a driver issue. This is because on further consideration I have actually resolved this problem more than once by installing the correct driver/reinstalling the correct driver. I do PC repairs and foist linux upon folk who can see past windows (yes, I'm a linux evangelist); I'm sure I've dealt with this issue a few times.

Install the driver for the chipset revealed by "lspci -v | less". dmesg mentioned above produces the same info but with loads of extra unneeded info to wade through.

I'm not 100% certain though, such are the risks of seeking advice on an internet forum. I'm about 70% certain. Whatever, hope you get it sorted soon. (Have you posted on the Ubuntu help forums?)

If the chipset is listed as supported on the page linked in my first post there is certainly no need to be messing about with ndiswrapper.

MrNutt
    Free Member

my every Linux experience has been ruined by wireless adapter issues, somebody wake me when its all over and I'll happily run it!

luked2
    Free Member

First, make sure you've really got the latest ralink driver. I've got a couple of those cards here and they work fine now, but certainly started out a bit rubbish.

lspci is your friend here. It would be useful to see the numbers from that for your wireless card.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ubuntu WLAN help’ is closed to new replies.