Uberbike brake pads – any good?

• This topic has 24 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  DezB.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Uberbike brake pads – any good?
  • Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

Now Superstar Components seem to have stopped stocking any of the brake pads I use, I’m looking for good quality, reasonably priced alternatives.

Uberbike pads seem reasonable, does anyone have any experience using them?

What other alternatives are out there?

Cheers.

cooie

I’ve used the Matrix and Kevlar ones for a few years and can’t fault them. They work equally as well as the Shimano ones they replaced, and last a long time. The finned system is good as the fins are reusable, just replace the pads. Great value too, especially the 4 pair option for £29.99.

Premier Icon bruneep
    Subscriber

use the race version, if you can wait there is normally a discount around holiday dates (next would be mayday) 7th May. Always stock up when there is a discount code.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Yup, race matrix here and not dead.

Premier Icon Akers
    Subscriber

Nice one. I’ll wait until next weekend to order some.

Thanks Chaps!

poah

finned pads have too much free movement in them, race matrix overpriced tat but their Kevlar ones seem to work well on the kids bikes.  I’ve been using WMD resin pads in my saints recently.

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

Been using the race matrix since they came out. In XTs and Saints. Mainly in the Peak and the Alps. Never had a problem with them. As above we usually stock up when they are on offer

Race matrix were terrible. Purchased 8 sets… And 4 went in the bin. Far too grabby and inconsistent and rattled badly in the caliper (poor fit). They are very sensitive to a good bed in.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>The kevlar were OK but useless in muddy / wet conditions. Sintered were OK though and comparable to ss pads, still running them on the cx. </span>

I use disco pads now (sintered and semi metallic) find them comparable to the ss ones. Although on my best bike I have gone back to OEM shimano pads and they outperform the lot to be honest.

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

Hi,

Got Race Matrix in my TRP Spyres. They are much, much better than original TRP pads. They tend to squeel slightly though, at least with Avid HS1 rotors.

Also have their Sintered on my BR-M785. Like it very much. Much better than original reisin Shimano.

Cheers!

I.

cubist

So the answer to the ops question is yes, no, maybe.

Ps I use the Race Matrix pads in my Guides and XTs and they do the job nicely.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

I like the race matrix pads too. They have failed to explode into flames in the Peaks and hit a good combo of life/performance. Much better than the old SS Kevlar people seem to equate them to. Never had one fall apart, be the wrong size etc.

I’d also avoid the finned pads, but because on two occasions now I seem to have equipped myself with them immediately before spasmodically changing brakes.  No more bling pads for me!

Race Matrix user here, never had any problems/death. Not much bedding-in required IME, they pretty much work straight out of the packet.

fossy

Race Matrix for my Guide RS. As good as OEM and don’t vanish in a blink of the eye in Peak District Slop, unlike the SRAM ones.

Only time they squeal is just after a soaking in a stream. If being picky, not keen on the white backing plates, but they do help with checking pad thickness by eye quickly.

superfli

Another vote for the Race Matrix pads. Cant fault them. Last well, powerful and cheap when using discount code.

Thats on Formula T1 brakes.

Premier Icon Potdog
    Subscriber

I use the Race Matrix pads in E4 brakes on all the rental bikes. They do the business, only seem to squeal in the wet (which is a rarity over here) and last way, way longer than organics. What’s not to like, especially if you stock up when there’s a discount code out.

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

Another vote for the Race Matrix pads, although the pair I have in now do suffer from the poor fit issue, lightly grab the brake and it feels like the headset is loose or the forks have play!

steve_b77

Race matrix were terrible. ………… They are very sensitive to a good bed in.

And that’s a surprise because? All pads should be bedded in properly.

I’ve swapped to the Race Matrix from another brand (after the OE Shimano XT ones wore out) and I’m very impressed so far, did Ten Under the Ben on them on Saturday and they survived 153km of what turned out to be a very wet, gritty ride with a load of stream crossings and gritty muddy climbs and descents.

Nice consistent feel, good predictable power and only noisy for a couple of applications after a stream crossing, once the water is dispersed they were silent for the rest of the lap, until the next stream crossing.

I’ll be buying more for sure.

Premier Icon sv
    Subscriber

Plenty of pads on AliExpress, used several different compounds and all worked well. Using a semi metallic and as they are cheap wear rate doesn’t matter, although they are as good as anything from SSC or Brand X.

mark90

I put race matrix on my bike in the autumn. After a winter of riding in all conditions I have just replaced the fronts (Superstar kevlar as I have some to use up), rears still have plenty of life left. The comment about being a bit grabby is maybe true, but they aren’t that grabby. Will be stocking up when the next offer is on.

Hob Nob

Tried  race matrix – threw them in the bin. They were turd.

The yellow ones (sintered I think) are good though, not as good as SRAM sintered pads, but at 1/4 of the price they are great.

mindmap3

True some Race Matrix pads and thought they were really poor. Squealed like a pig in the wet and didn’t offer much bite.

Went back to OE pads. Not much more cash but they seem to work much better (same experience on numerous brands of brakes).

kiksy

Bought a set of Race Matrix for my alps trip 2016 for my XT’s. Put them in on the Tuesday, first few corners were terrifying as they had no power, then bedded in ok. They never felt as good as the OEM Shimano pads. After 3 days they were pretty much finished. Put a fresh set of Shimano sintered in and they were substantially better.

Whilst they are cheaper than OEM, I don’t think they last very well, and I didn’t like the performance so haven’t used again.

steve_b77

first few corners were terrifying as they had no power, then bedded in ok

Did you bed them in before you went for the first ride on them?

kiksy

Did you bed them in before you went for the first ride on them?

No. I never bed in pads and just let riding bed them in. Never had an issue before with Shimano pads doing this.

After 1 run the Uberpads picked up performance wise, but never as good bite as the Shimano pads.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

What other alternatives are out there?

Discobrakes have a good choice of compounds – https://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&amp;

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Uberbike brake pads – any good?’ is closed to new replies.