Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Two step chain wax?
  • finbar
    Free Member

I tried the “boiling water bath between waxes” today and it was a total waste of time.

I removed the dirty chain, put it in an old saucepan, covered it with water and boiled it for several minutes on the hob.

I’d estimate that, generously, this removed about 5% of the grime on the chain.

Admittedly my chain was *very* gungy (winter road use), but it was so ineffective I’m in disbelief anyone has found this effective with Putoline…?

13thfloormonk

I think there has been a bit of online Chinese whispers going on there, surely no-one is suggesting a boiling water wash for Putoline are they?

oceanskipper

Nooo. Hot water rinse for GLF/MSW type waxes only and even then only after a prolonged wet gritty ride. No need/pointless waste of time/pan/electricity/gas for a Putolined chain.

finbar
    Free Member

Well, quite :D

No need/pointless waste of time/pan/electricity/gas for a Putolined chain.

Disagree with ‘no need’ though, if it did work it would be a great way to stop Putoline getting contaminated with grit.

oceanskipper

Disagree with ‘no need’ though, if it did work it would be a great way to stop Putoline getting contaminated with grit.

Good point, although if you Puto’ in a DFF and use the basket, the grit all falls to the bottom. Mind you I did occasionally do a full degrease (white spirit/meths/IPA)on my Putolined chains just to start afresh. No idea if it helped. 🤷‍♂️

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.