Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Turboists – rear tyre?
  • tinybits
    Free Member

Just started using my CX bike on a turbo and it seems to be wearing the tyre quite heavily – wear flat appearing and bits of ruber on the floor after. Do I need (will it improve) with a turbo rear tyre or is it about the same?

Cheers

pnik

I’ve just used road tyres in the past but have gone to tacx blue one recently mainly because i was using an mtb and didnt have a slick, it will be harder wearing, and i reckon is quieter too. Maybe wishful thinking. I’m about to put the road bike back on and will get a turbo tyre this time. Hope that helps.

Edited for dreadful typing

stevious

Always just used old worn out road tyres.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s better with a turbo tyre. Wear isn’t as noticeable but I was also getting slippage between the tyre and the turbo roller which completely went away when I swapped to a turbo specific tyre.

I might have a spare turbo tyre in the shed (not sure if I gave it away when I sold my old trainer or not) I’ll check in the morning but if i have you’re welcome to it. Although I wont be able to post it until the weekend.

schmiken

It will be better with a dedicated turbo tyre.

fisha
    Free Member

Tacx blue tyre on mine and it was worth the swap.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I just use the cheapest slick tyre money can buy. Lasts ages too

Robz
    Free Member

I just use a regular road tyre and experience no issues.

I use the bike outside too and life is to short for faffing about swapping wheels or tyres. When it wears out it wears out. But the turbo doesn’t seem to be wearing it any worse than the road.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I use a halfords own brand turbo tyre, they’re around £10.

I do get some slippage on the roller though, so thinking of going for a TACX blue one instead.

YMMV

jamiep
    Free Member

Halfords here. No Slippage. Doesn’t leave flecks of worn tyre around the turbo.
    But it doesn’t handle too well on the road when one forgets to swap the wheel back

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I use an old wheel with a cheaper version of my Ultegra cassette, so same ratio’s, and a turbo tyre. It’s not the wear rate that is the issue with using your normal tyre, it is the fact it squares it off making it a bit squirrely when cornering. The added advantage with using an old wheel is that you use the large QR squewer that comes with the turbo meaning you can keep your nice squewer on your road wheel.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I just use the cheapest slick tyre money can buy. Lasts ages too

+1 I’m using an old vittoria rubino that I got for £10 for training outdoors, but then damaged the sidewall first ride.

Haze

Used a dedicated turbo tyre on a old Mavic wheel I picked up for turbo use…Continental lasted ages, Planet-X one fell apart within one winter.

I’ve got a few old regular tyres knocking around so have started using a part worn GP4000, two months of use so far (3 to 4 times a week) and it’s holding up fine.

BadlyWiredDog

Turbo tyre on a cheapo spare wheel with cheapo cassette. Have used both Conti and Schwalbe versions. Occasionally clean up the tyre with isopropyl alcohol to minimise slippage.

tinybits
    Free Member

Thanks all. Looks like I’ll get a turbo tyre and also keep eyes open for a cheap turbo wheel to keep it on. Not too fussed about having to change tyres until then, I suspect Zwift is going to keep me entertained over the winter unless I get the MTB out!
    Muppet, that’d be massively appreciated, thank you.

Northwind

I had a proper turbo tyre, then I had to give that back so I just stuck an old pro 3 on it, and the road tyre is quieter and grippier. It’ll wear faster but I don’t care about that.

tinybits
    Free Member

It’s the rubber over the kitchen floor- a right ball ache to clear off the tiles. That’s on last nights 25km zwift outing so if I go for it hard, I suspect the rear tyre will melt!

avdave2

It’s the rubber over the kitchen floor- a right ball ache to clear off the tiles.

There’s a patch of the warehouse floor at work that’s currently like an ice rink 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

Halfords turbo tyre here as well: has lasted ages, no rubber flecks and minimal slippage, cheap as chips too.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve just had a look and there was a continental turbo tyre in the shed, looks like it’s got plenty of wear left in it. Let me have your address (email in profile) and I’ll post it out maybe tomorrow if I get the chance but if not definitely Saturday.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Turboists – rear tyre?’ is closed to new replies.