Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tuesday night musings – rear tyres for upcoming Scottish mud
  • bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Also known as winter.

This summer I ran a mavic charge or hans dampf on the front and a Geax Goma 2.25 on the back. I really like the Goma as it rolls really well, however it’s not really made for winter.

I’ll be racing throughout the winter and if last year is anything to go by, i’ll be riding in a lot of mud. Decided i’ll try a Magic Mary on the front as it looks ideal, but not sure about the back
    Have been looking at WTB vigilante but it looks really hefty, also been looking at mud tyres such as the spesh storm DH. however i’m not sure a full on mud tyre is the right choice as i will ride a mix of terrain.

What are some of you lot running? Shall I just suck it up and lug a hefty tyre around all winter? Or is there a good compromise.

Note: Has to be 650b so Conti Baron is out, unfortunately. The new 650b one looks hefty and is only 2.4 size I think.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

Nothing? I know a lot of you race the scottish enduro series so must know what i’m talking about! especially if you did stage 1 in feb…

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ll be running a Baron but I’d also try the Magic Mary if the Baron’s not an option for you.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve recently fitted a 29er Minion DHR 2 EXO TR and it was doing a great job in the mud last weekend. I don’t think it rolls that badly either, based on the short road sections to and from the house, and I would certainly be happy to race on it. I’m running a Vigilante up front, and the pairing works well on most of the natural stuff around here in N.E Scotland. I was actually surprised how well it coped with the greasy rock steps on Clachnaben on Sunday morning after a heavy burst of rain and hail.

bigjim

I’ve been running a goma on the back too, though coma might suit it better in the wet. can’t decide if I like it or not.

but anyway, Baron is what you need, oh…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tuesday night musings – rear tyres for upcoming Scottish mud’ is closed to new replies.