Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tubeless problems, total PITA! Help anyone?
  • geordiemick00
    Free Member

I run ‘ghetto’ tubeless on my 26″ Cube Stereo and apart from the edges of the rims looking not too neat from poor trimming they have been absolutely spot on.

Last month I ventured into the world of 29ers and bought a Niner Air9 from Chevin’s in Otley. When I got it home I noticed it had ‘tubeless ready’ rims and tyres, so woohoo I thought no need to do the ghetto.

I did some research and I was told I had to buy rim tape and valve so I bought a Stan’s Bontrager 29er specific rim tape and valve (£18 each wheel :?) and then put them on. I had a problem with them burping and generally not holding pressure.

Yesterday I took the tyres off, washed down the tyres and rims with soapy water and then mounted them again, this time I applied plenty of soap to allow the tyre to slip to the rim and after mounting them put about 50psi in them to push the tyre bead tight to the rim.

after half hour lowered the pressure to about 38 psi and then did 15 mile ride no problems. Got up this morning and woke up to this:

Any ideas?? I’ve spent a fortune on this now, gone through loads of co2 cartridges and Stan’s….

This is what the rim tape looks like: Should it be half way up the rim wall??

Mister-P
    Free Member

It is my understanding that if the rim is tubeless ready than it shouldn’t need an extra rim tape.

clubber
    Free Member

I used the Bonty rim strip on my 29er Bonty rims (mustang osb) and they’re great – bit of a faff to put the strip in place (you have to make sure they’re hooked under the rim hook) but they went up first time. Cheap too.

rim strip: http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=400337

valve: http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/Bontrager-Rim-Tape-Valve-Extender-Removeable-Core.aspx

Keef
    Free Member

Bonty rim strips are fantastic……

on Bonty rims that is.

you just need to tape your rims,electrical tape and gaffer tape both work well,but stans yellow tape (from jra) is best,fit yer valves,soapy water on tyre beads,mount em,add sealer,do waggle dance,fit to bike,ride.

Duc
    Free Member

What rims are they – if they aren’t Bonty – why use Bonty specific rim strips – the shape of the Bonty rims is quite different to others

firestarter
    Free Member

My schwalbe tyres both blew off the rim after the bead gave way , I Ibe previously used the set up with maxxis tyres and have gone back to them no bother . I mailed schwalbe about it but they ignored me and I gave up on them

hillsplease

I too have had Schwalbe non UST and UST (albeit with damaged bead blow off a rim – once in the cellar and once on the trail. PITA indeed. Maxxis have worked so far for me. Damn, that’s jinxed it….

Good luck

Milkie
    Free Member

What rims are they

They are Bonty rims, can you not see the Bontrager written in black on the rims!? 😆

Good luck, I just stuck a tube in my one that didn’t work, just tell everyone its tubeless. No one will know! 😉

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I noticed it had ‘tubeless ready’ rims and tyres

I understood tubeless ready rims to be just that, . . . ready.

or am I missing something?

and if they’re both compatible, why would they stick inner tubes in when they could just inflate them without? Are the cost of tubeless valves that high?

I suppose it’s because they don’t hold the air so, would need topping up all the time?

clubber
    Free Member

Duc – Member
    What rims are they – if they aren’t Bonty – why use Bonty specific rim strips – the shape of the Bonty rims is quite different to others

They are Bonty (you can see the shiny black wording on the matt black of the rim) rims

clubber
    Free Member

Shops don’t like tubeless wheels with no tubes in at the shop as they’re a pain to have to reinflate and you really don’t want a spaff explosion in the shop…

scaredypants

Schwalbe are 🙄

Duc
    Free Member

Jeez you have a good monitor but I see it now.

I’ve never had a great deal of success with SChwalbe as tubeless – every Bonty tire I’ve mounted though has gone up and stayed up no problems with no need for co2 or compressors.
    To be fair though I’ve only ever used teh Bonty strips in Bonty rims. The stans strip looks a little different – can’t quite put my finger on how but it does – not had the tyres of my bonty wheel for a while though

P20

I’ve had a nightmare with 26 bonty rims/strips. I’ve either managed to get front or back sealed with different tyres, but i’ve never had this problem with my stans set up. The problem always seems to be the valve. I’ve had numerous valves and bonty strips, which haven’t made any difference. Its currently sat in the garage with a flat front. 😡

MS
    Free Member

Got Racing Ralphs, went up first time, and sealed instantly, haven’t been for a ride yet and still holding pressure. Also done it with many Nobby Nics, and no problems, so dont really know what people are doing with scwhable tyres!

I used Stans Rim Tape. To me you don’t need a rim strip if you have tubless rims. The rim strip is only needed for non tubeless wheels.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Bonty wheels and strips always worked perfectly for me on my old bike. The tyres (crap as they were) always held air and went up easily enough with a track pump. The strips should ‘click’ into the rim and once in should remain in place without touching them again. Personally I only run Maxxis UST tyres as I find their bead has a better hook and doesn’t burp as much (unless I’m being really messy with my lines).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One for the old skool STWers…

tazzymtb

Non UST schwalbe with stans are fine, however if you are/were using racing ralphs (do have a weaker bead and can stretch) and have wacked it up to 50psi then it’s no wonder they let go. 🙄

For reference I use the stans rim recommended pressures a maximum. So for a 2.2 noon UST tyre 38-40 psi is the max before it may think about jumping of the rim and making bukaki all over the place 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

lol not seen the badger pic for ages 🙂

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys, few valid points…

I also wondered why they would be ‘tubeless ready’ when you then have to put a rim strip on them, which according to chevins you do, I tried without and just a valve and they wouldn’t inflate at all.

As Milkie’s identified they are Bontrager rims hence I bought the specific rim kit. They are Series 6000 but can’t find anything on them on web.

I’m not convinced with the fitment of the bead of the Schwalbes myself. I took Schwalbe Fat Alberts off my Cube before it turned a Wheel, the Ignitor LUST’s on my Cube and previous bikes have been flawless. The Racing Ralph’s have rolled really well and I’m dubious about putting anything more chunkier on incase it slows the big wheels down but I may try a pair of ignitor LUST’s now..

I wonder if the rim strip is too wide and if it’s worth trimming it a bit so the whole internal side of the rim is clear?

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’m using Nobby Nics tubeless ready on Stans Flow rims and yellow tape without a problem. Tried Panaracer Rampage before and had the same problem as what you’re having as they have a loose fitting bead. All I can think of is the bead isn’t get a good grip on the rim so check both are clean before refitting and some gorilla hasn’t damage the bead when they first fitted them.

Just looked at your pictures again and you have nothing of the rim for the bead to grip onto.

tazzymtb

bonty 29-3’s are ace tyres the 2.25 and 2.0 combo and will work with no issues as they are TLR

clubber
    Free Member

Bonty rim strips sit inside the rim so you can’t see them once the tyre’s fitted. My understanding of most rubber rim strips (eg stans, noflats) is that they show from outside ( a small amount) when the tyre’s on – mine certainly do (on another bike). If that’s the case then the rim strip you’ve got is too narrow.

Keef
    Free Member

capt Flash ! ur a star !

Duc
    Free Member

second teh 29-3’s

bigjim

Are you sure you are supposed to use that rim strip? With Stan’s tubeless rims you just use the really thin yellow tape, and Nobby Nic’s seal up a treat on them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Badger pic? I’m pretty sure that’s a penguin.

thejesmonddingo

I know nowt about the 29er Bonty rims,but there are two varieties of strip available for the 26s,I know cos I got the wrong ones first,and had to replace them,as I couldn’t inflate anything,with the right strip they wree fine with MK 2.4s and Nev 2.35 dtcs.
    Ian

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless problems, total PITA! Help anyone?’ is closed to new replies.